68%
Don't fire?
32%

Total votes: 73
5$
Five Star Recruit

Re: Choose his fate!

Post by 5$ »

Ya'll remember what happened at UW when they failed to fire Tyrone Willingham, right? 2008 happened.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

I'm all about citing precedent. Does anyone know of any examples where the first 4 years of a coach's career was a downward trajectory for the program but then got significantly better? I can only find ones where it gets worse and worse, which isn't exactly helpful to the Helfrich cause as it's a signal that this isn't rock bottom yet.
TualatinDuck
Senior

Post by TualatinDuck »

StevensTechU wrote:I'm all about citing precedent. Does anyone know of any examples where the first 4 years of a coach's career was a downward trajectory for the program but then got significantly better? I can only find ones where it gets worse and worse, which isn't exactly helpful to the Helfrich cause as it's a signal that this isn't rock bottom yet.
Closest I could find would be Bill Snyder, but he had a steady increase ala Chris Peterson before breaking through. I cant find one.
"And I can be the warrior for those who are frail and weak,
And I can be the compass for those that search and seek." ~Lem Absher
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

TualatinDuck wrote:
Closest I could find would be Bill Snyder, but he had a steady increase ala Chris Peterson before breaking through. I cant find one.
Yea, I was looking at Gary Patterson (TCU), but his dropoff was really just due to a change in conference and then his record pops right back up. Similar issue/resolution with Kyle Whittingham.

I'm OK with just admitting that Mark Helfrich isn't a very good football coach at this point. Few programs (see struggles at Texas, USC, etc.) can overcome mediocre-to-bad coaches.
TualatinDuck
Senior

Post by TualatinDuck »

Is it wrong of me to think its odd we are hearing nothing from the AD's office either for or against?
"And I can be the warrior for those who are frail and weak,
And I can be the compass for those that search and seek." ~Lem Absher
GoDucksIn09
Senior

Post by GoDucksIn09 »

I don't think will hear anything from the AD.... the only one that might get the AD to talk would be Phil Knight. Otherwise think all can assume that despite all the stats out there suggesting that Helfrich should be fired the AD will be in full support of the coach. The AD does not care about the media... message boards... fans...and so on. I am sure he had a full voice mail box and full e mail box but most if not all will be deleted and treated as if never called or e mailed.
lmduck

Post by lmduck »

TualatinDuck wrote:Is it wrong of me to think its odd we are hearing nothing from the AD's office either for or against?
Why would they make a statement now either for or against??? They will wait till the end of the season.

They know what is going on, they know what is being said, don't think they are hiding under a rock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GoDucksIn09
Senior

Post by GoDucksIn09 »

The AD never said a word after the Utah loss last year. Now we have had 2 consecutive seasons with that kind of loss at home. No way will he say anything unless Phil Knight gets involved and gets him to say something
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

What does keeping him do for us? It's a fact that he'll never lead us to the playoffs. MAYBE we will have an 8 win season in the next couple years. Even that, I'm doubting.

Keeping him just hurts us more. There's no hope by keeping him.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

GoDucksIn09 wrote:The AD never said a word after the Utah loss last year. Now we have had 2 consecutive seasons with that kind of loss at home. No way will he say anything unless Phil Knight gets involved and gets him to say something
I don't understand the Phil Knight talk. Outside of donating to the school and using the school as a uniform testing ground, I just don't see the influence that everyone touts. If he was so influential, why did we end up with Pellum as the DC? Why did we then end up with Hoke as his replacement? Why do we pay our staff so little? I would love to think that he is going to open up the checkbook and save the day but I just don't think it will happen. We are either stuck with Helf or we will be stuck with his buyout. I don't think uncle Phil is going to save us.
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
GoDucksIn09
Senior

Post by GoDucksIn09 »

Probably true Karl... but if is one person that the AD would want to keep happy it would be Phil Knight. The rest of us are just mere peasants to Mullens.
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

Nolan as HC? Who would you want as OC?
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

woundedknees wrote:Nolan as HC? Who would you want as OC?
If Oregon hired Mike Nolan, they'd really be trying to do their best Nebraska impression. After Tom Osborne (Chip Kelly), they hired coordinator Frank Solich (Helfrich), and when they eventually let him go for lowering the bar they went with a failed NFL coach in Bill Callahan (Mike Nolan).
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

Heard an interesting blurb on hiring Kiffin to replace Helf. Stating he has some stints as HC and has trained under,Saban, just have to keep him on a tight lease. This was a national show not local.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Alan wrote:Heard an interesting blurb on hiring Kiffin to replace Helf. Stating he has some stints as HC and has trained under,Saban, just have to keep him on a tight lease. This was a national show not local.
National commentators are the worst sources for these things. They talk about whatever will get them ratings, not what is accurate.