Oregon @ Cal (Fri Oct 21, 7:30 pm ESPN)

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

rentdodger1
Three Star Recruit

Re: Oregon @ Cal (Fri Oct 21, 7:30 pm ESPN)

Post by rentdodger1 »

Do not put Herbert in the position to lose the game with a turnover. Sloppy, Lazy play call, just like the Colorado game.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

gofightingducks wrote:Herbert is going to be good, great even with the right coaches, unfortunately the Ducks will not win another game this season with how bad the D is, a bye week to just see some improvement and yet they were just as bad as two weeks ago, as bad as Utah's offense is and the struggles of Stanford, Oregon's D will make them look good and USC is going to put up 70+. I cannot believe how bad they are. The young guys are the only bright spot for this team, even Freeman stunk up the joint.
I'm still calling a W over Stanford. It will be the opposite of two immovable forces, when our D faces off with their trash O.
Bigwaved
Four Star Recruit

Post by Bigwaved »

rentdodger1 wrote:Do not put Herbert in the position to lose the game with a turnover. Sloppy, Lazy play call, just like the Colorado game.
It appeared that those play calls were what brought them back to be in a position to win it. Hindsight is 20/20.
gofightingducks
All Pac-12

Post by gofightingducks »

The good news...... the Ducks won time of possession :)
gofightingducks
All Pac-12

Post by gofightingducks »

Cal ran 118 plays. Crazy
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

I'm glad we were actually competitive in this game. It should be clear to everyone that, by and large, the players haven't quit on the coaches. Otherwise we'd have lost this game by 40 and not lost by 3 in 2OT.

That said, I'm probably closer to picking up a pitchfork than I've been all year. Hoke and Lubick... their play calls are just... ?????.

Defensively, it wouldn't matter who our D-coordinator was... we're just going to be bad this year, and the talent we do have has been riddles with injuries. We don't have the talent on D. But just because we're bad doesn't mean we have to be soft. Why such huge cushions? Why just concede first downs on obvious run downs? Why not get nasty and send more blitzes?

And Lubick... I'm blown away that he's struggling so much as an OC. He was such a great receivers coach, I assumed he'd be dynamite as our OC. Nope! His offense is unimaginative and predictable. I feel like he knows how to implement a decent passing game, but he doesn't know how to manage the run game along with it. What's the point of running tempo if we're not going to employ any options, misdirections, quick screens, etc., to catch defenses off guard?

Props to the players, and also SOME props to the coaches for not letting the team fold tonight. That's just one type of leadership -- and we've seen Helfrich rally his troops before -- but in the meantime, there's also a football game that requires better schemes and plays if we're going to win a conference game this year.
Last edited by pezsez1 on Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
Bigwaved
Four Star Recruit

Post by Bigwaved »

I am happy that they did not quit, made halftime adjustments that helped for once and the kid's play. I am not happy with how bad the defense looks, the shell of Rolls Royce, the penalties still piling up and another loss.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Yep Pesez. Sometimes I feel like I'm watching a Crowton called game again, Lubick seems lost.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Bigwaved wrote:I am happy that they did not quit, made halftime adjustments that helped for once and the kid's play. I am not happy with how bad the defense looks, the shell of Rolls Royce, the penalties still piling up and another loss.
At this point, Royce looks like he's got a bad transmission and a flat tire.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

With Oregon's stable of backs, they should definitely be running more but I think the weak OL and now the injuries piling up at RB are complicating things for Lubick.
QuackininBama
All Pac-12

Post by QuackininBama »

gofightingducks wrote:The good news...... the Ducks won time of possession :)
Oregon 23:40
Cal 36:20
QuackininBama
All Pac-12

Post by QuackininBama »

Cal had 40 1st downs. Just, wow. FORTY.
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

Curious if the team quits after this one.
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
BTJ201
Three Star Recruit

Post by BTJ201 »

Man that was heart breaking, was hard not to feel bad for Herbert he looked like he was crying after that interception. Most of the team may have quit but I'm sure he hasn't, that kid cares no doubt about it!
mrpd21
Five Star Recruit

Post by mrpd21 »

OK. I have spoken my peace regarding the coaches.
Just wanna say that I am PROUD of how these guys rebounded and came back! Easily could have quit and for a moment I thought they were doing just that. Schooler is a beast and Herbert is a stud. The future is bright with those two young leaders. We wouldn't have even been in position to win the game if they didn't have so much fight in them. Go Ducks and I still believe this this team has a couple wins in them.