I think i figured out what is wrong with the defense.

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

karlhungis
All Pac-12

I think i figured out what is wrong with the defense.

Post by karlhungis »

OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
QuackininBama
All Pac-12

Re: I think i figured out what is wrong with the defense.

Post by QuackininBama »

I honestly thought Hoke was going to roll in and have this defense top 50 by game 5, but holy cow batman. I don't even know where to start. They are EPICly, historically BAD. I've never seen a Duck team this terrible at all phases of defense. Hell I've never watched a FOOTBALL TEAM this bad on defense, and I'm a Raider fan, I've seen some flat out AWFUL defenses in my day but this Duck D is unwatchable.
mrpd21
Five Star Recruit

Post by mrpd21 »

There's no tenacity in this group. Not one single opponent respects the defense and I sincerely hope to see marked improvement soon. I figured by this point in the season there would be encouraging signs. Schooler is the man but that's about all I can say for now.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

If you have it figured out, please report to practice Monday to take over the DC job.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

QuackininBama wrote:I honestly thought Hoke was going to roll in and have this defense top 50 by game 5, but holy cow batman. I don't even know where to start. They are EPICly, historically BAD. I've never seen a Duck team this terrible at all phases of defense. Hell I've never watched a FOOTBALL TEAM this bad on defense, and I'm a Raider fan, I've seen some flat out AWFUL defenses in my day but this Duck D is unwatchable.
I never saw top 50, but I thought 80-90 range which would have made us 5-2 right now.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

Biggus Duckus wrote:I'm glad Bellotti called out the soft secondary. I can tell what side of the field the throw is going to before the ball is even snapped. Everything the defense does is telegraphed and obvious.
I was happy with that also, I think Bellotti was letting his loyalty to Oregon show a bit, I'm glad he did. I would think he's got Helf's ear......don't know if he has Hoke's though.
Kimber45
Three Star Recruit

Post by Kimber45 »

I've developed a sort of conspiracy theory to explain the defense because logic, reason, and empiricism aren't enough to understand what I'm seeing on the field.

*dons tinfoil hat*

Coach Hoke really isn't the D Coordinator. Sure, he has the title and paycheck for the position but Coach Hoke is really Oregon's Defensive Consultant. Hoke was brought in only to advise Oregon on how to transition to the 4-3, not to actually coach the defense.

Recall Coach Helfrich saying prior to the Spring Game that Hoke would be a "walk around Coach" or something like that? Sure, the comment was probably made to reflect Hoke's initial role as he evaluated the players but its also an apt description of what I see as Hoke's involvement with the defense.

Did anyone notice who was wearing a headset on Oregon's sideline for the Cal game? It wasn't Hoke. It was Pellum. Hoke stands around with his arms crossed and a look of general disapproval on his face. Pellum jabbers into the headset and exhibits animated body language towards the players. I think Pellum is still coaching the D and Hoke's job is to advise Pellum and the rest of the defensive staff on how to run the 4-3. I am also pretty certain that the headset Coach Pellum is wearing is plugged into the water cooler and not connected to the staff up on the box.

I think Oregon told Coach Hoke what his role was going to be and Hoke has obliged by not stepping out of that box. Observe Hoke in pressers, videos and on the sideline. He doesn't look nor speak like a person who has true ownership of the defense. He's not personally invested in the defense because its not really his. The defense is still Oregon's and done the "Oregon way." His job is only to counsel and advise. This is why Hoke brought none of his own staff and why the defensive play continues to resemble the personalities of the other position coaches - ten yard cushions from DBs, terrible MIKE linebacker play, etc.

*doffs tinfoil hat and wanders to kitchen for another cup of coffee*
QuackininBama
All Pac-12

Post by QuackininBama »

Kimber45 wrote:
Did anyone notice who was wearing a headset on Oregon's sideline for the Cal game? It wasn't Hoke. It was Pellum. Hoke stands around with his arms crossed and a look of general disapproval on his face. Pellum jabbers into the headset and exhibits animated body language towards the players. I think Pellum is still coaching the D and Hoke's job is to advise Pellum and the rest of the defensive staff on how to run the 4-3. I am also pretty certain that the headset Coach Pellum is wearing is plugged into the water cooler and not connected to the staff up on the box.
Hoke wasn't wearing a headset last night? Seriously?
justducky0
Senior

Post by justducky0 »

You guys... literally both of them had headsets on ... this is just ridiculous
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

justducky0 wrote:You guys... literally both of them had headsets on ... this is just ridiculous
He'd take it off when walking on the field to talk to his players, which is when we saw them point the camera at him most often.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

I'm pretty sure the scheme has been simplified as much as possible to this one tenet: the first 10 guys are there to slow the ball carrier down until Schooler makes the tackle.
Kimber45
Three Star Recruit

Post by Kimber45 »

Ah, man, its a conspiracy theory. You can't ask questions about conspiracy theories.
QuackininBama wrote:Hoke wasn't wearing a headset last night? Seriously?
He wore a headset.

I didn't record the game, but there was one side line shot of Oregon where the defense is coming off the field, Hoke is in the foreground with his arms crossed - no headset on - and Pellum is greeting and exhorting the players in the background. Like someone other than Hoke was calling a defensive series.

I'm just trying to somehow rationalize how Oregon's defense is so bad. My larger point is that aside from moving players around on the field in terms of schematic change, Hoke doesn't seem to have influenced the overall performance on defense at all. Except that you could make a factual argument that the defense is worse than last year. It's still classic, soft Oregon defense.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Look on the bright side, we are only 6 ypg away from no longer being the worst defense in the country (currently 539 ypg).

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

Billys and Joes, guys. Until we get better ones, the Xs and Os won't matter a whole lot.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

pezsez1 wrote:Billys and Joes, guys. Until we get better ones, the Xs and Os won't matter a whole lot.
I don't believe for one moment that this is a talent issue. If guys were in the right spot but were overmatched that speaks to your point about talent but that's not the issue we have. We have fundamental breakdowns and regression of play. Mondeaux should be excelling in this scheme as he was showing himself to be another stud 5 tech DE and his job should be easier.