Mike Bellotti's Comments Last Night

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

SuperDuck
Senior

Mike Bellotti's Comments Last Night

Post by SuperDuck »

Mike Bellotti tried very hard to remain unbiased and not say too much either good or bad about the Ducks, but two things he said stood out to me.

1. Regarding all the penalties. "It's the mark of an undisciplined team". That was an indirect shot across the bow at Helfrich but he's absolutely spot on. One penalty cost the Ducks a TD on Taj Griffin's run. Everyone looks at the 2 point attempts as being the main reason the Ducks lost to Nebraska, and rightly so, but over 100 yards worth of penalties, particularly the personal foul/unsportsmanlike conduct crap against Cam Hunt were brutal. That's completely unacceptable, especially from someone who's supposed to be a senior leader!

2. Regarding the defense switching to a 4-3. (Paraphrasing) "In order to run a 4-3 you need to be able to get consistent pressure on the opposing QB with your front 4. It also takes at least 8-10 defensive lineman that are 260+ and Oregon doesn't have that. That will take at least two recruiting classes to fix."

Ouch! Truth hurts. We simply don't have the bodies to run it. Unfortunately, they really don't have the linebackers to run the 3-4 either.

I don't think Brady Hoke is a bad coordinator, I think he may have overestimated the talent he had to work with, though.

That being said, I believe the offense will be very good next year and beyond as long as they can stop shooting themselves in the foot with penalties. On the other hand, the defense is going to be a work in progress for 2-3 years.

Side note: To everyone calling for Helfrich to be fired (I'm still undecided), you need to keep in mind that whoever replaces him won't be bringing a new defense with them. There'll still be a lot of work to be done on that side of the ball.

In addition, if Oregon hires a coach that doesn't run the spread, or at least elements of the spread, that's going to be another rebuilding job that will take time to transition into.
John 3:36
rentdodger1
Three Star Recruit

Re: Mike Bellotti's Comments Last Night

Post by rentdodger1 »

SuperDuck wrote:Mike Bellotti tried very hard to remain unbiased and not say too much either good or bad about the Ducks, but two things he said stood out to me.

1. Regarding all the penalties. "It's the mark of an undisciplined team". That was an indirect shot across the bow at Helfrich but he's absolutely spot on. One penalty cost the Ducks a TD on Taj Griffin's run. Everyone looks at the 2 point attempts as being the main reason the Ducks lost to Nebraska, and rightly so, but over 100 yards worth of penalties, particularly the personal foul/unsportsmanlike conduct crap against Cam Hunt were brutal. That's completely unacceptable, especially from someone who's supposed to be a senior leader!

2. Regarding the defense switching to a 4-3. (Paraphrasing) "In order to run a 4-3 you need to be able to get consistent pressure on the opposing QB with your front 4. It also takes at least 8-10 defensive lineman that are 260+ and Oregon doesn't have that. That will take at least two recruiting classes to fix."

Ouch! Truth hurts. We simply don't have the bodies to run it. Unfortunately, they really don't have the linebackers to run the 3-4 either.

I don't think Brady Hoke is a bad coordinator, I think he may have overestimated the talent he had to work with, though.

That being said, I believe the offense will be very good next year and beyond as long as they can stop shooting themselves in the foot with penalties. On the other hand, the defense is going to be a work in progress for 2-3 years.

Side note: To everyone calling for Helfrich to be fired (I'm still undecided), you need to keep in mind that whoever replaces him won't be bringing a new defense with them. There'll still be a lot of work to be done on that side of the ball.

In addition, if Oregon hires a coach that doesn't run the spread, or at least elements of the spread, that's going to be another rebuilding job that will take time to transition into.

Nobody in college football is going to get 2-3 years to straighten out any defense this bad. Hoke was hired to make an immediate positive impact. He has taken a bad unit and made it worse. The results speak for themselves. Bellotti was being kind in pointing out the schematic holes in the defense. Giving up 40 first downs in a game is not lack of players, its not having a clue what your doing. As far as the comment of dumping Helfrich and not bringing a new defense with them? What? why wouldn't a new coach bring his defense to replace this dumpster fire we have seen thru 7 games? This team is not without talent on that side of the ball.
BTJ201
Three Star Recruit

Post by BTJ201 »

rentdodger1 wrote:
SuperDuck wrote:Mike Bellotti tried very hard to remain unbiased and not say too much either good or bad about the Ducks, but two things he said stood out to me.

Nobody in college football is going to get 2-3 years to straighten out any defense this bad. Hoke was hired to make an immediate positive impact. He has taken a bad unit and made it worse. The results speak for themselves. Bellotti was being kind in pointing out the schematic holes in the defense. Giving up 40 first downs in a game is not lack of players, its not having a clue what your doing. As far as the comment of dumping Helfrich and not bringing a new defense with them? What? why wouldn't a new coach bring his defense to replace this dumpster fire we have seen thru 7 games? This team is not without talent on that side of the ball.
I'm far from a recruiting expert but it appears we aren't doing a good job recruiting the type of players this defense allegedly needs. There is one defensive player committed right now that is 6-3 270 and that's about 40 lbs shy of what we need on D line!
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

BTJ201 wrote:
rentdodger1 wrote:

I'm far from a recruiting expert but it appears we aren't doing a good job recruiting the type of players this defense allegedly needs. There is one defensive player committed right now that is 6-3 270 and that's about 40 lbs shy of what we need on D line!
This^^^
John 3:36
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

I'm sorry but I disagree when it comes to the talent on the DL, especially about the size issue. You don't run a 34 with guys that are little. Henry Mondeauxs job just got easier and he has regressed in play. Jelks and Daniels are ideal DEs but perhaps our best rush End in Prevot isn't playing for who knows what at this point. I'm not saying this a line full of world beaters but they shouldn't look this ugly. You don't need years to learn how to get low pad level and ball so hard.

We haven't seen the progression from some players and injuries have slowed others but what's clear to me is that the coaching isn't there on the line, but it's frankly not occurring anywhere. If we're ranking our position groups by talent it's DL, DBs then a wet paper bag followed by the LBs.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Duck07 wrote:I'm sorry but I disagree when it comes to the talent on the DL, especially about the size issue. You don't run a 34 with guys that are little. Henry Mondeauxs job just got easier and he has regressed in play. Jelks and Daniels are ideal DEs but perhaps our best rush End in Prevot isn't playing for who knows what at this point. I'm not saying this a line full of world beaters but they shouldn't look this ugly. You don't need years to learn how to get low pad level and ball so hard.

We haven't seen the progression from some players and injuries have slowed others but what's clear to me is that the coaching isn't there on the line, but it's frankly not occurring anywhere. If we're ranking our position groups by talent it's DL, DBs then a wet paper bag followed by the LBs.
None of these guys were Ngata in HS, so they should have known pad level and how to tackle, before even walking onto campus. The fact it's this bad is an indication of the lack of coaching they are getting. Seriously I see HS teams who tackle better and are more disciplined in gap assignment.
jefflockie
One Star Recruit

Post by jefflockie »

Oregon needs to raid the Juco ranks this recruiting season and get guys who can play on the line.
BTJ201
Three Star Recruit

Post by BTJ201 »

Duck07 wrote:I'm sorry but I disagree when it comes to the talent on the DL, especially about the size issue. You don't run a 34 with guys that are little. Henry Mondeauxs job just got easier and he has regressed in play. Jelks and Daniels are ideal DEs but perhaps our best rush End in Prevot isn't playing for who knows what at this point. I'm not saying this a line full of world beaters but they shouldn't look this ugly. You don't need years to learn how to get low pad level and ball so hard.

You absolutely have a point, even though we don't have a "cookie cutter" D line for the 4-3 we absolutely should not be get felony beat downs like this!

My point was I don't see anything in our current recruiting class that shows we are trying to remedy the alleged problem of undersized underweight hogs up front.
squintsdd
Sophomore

Post by squintsdd »

I've watched the games with a focus on the defense, usually it's the other way around. The line is getting pushed back 2-3 steps every run play, and they get zero pressure on the QB on passing attempts because they don't get low pads, whenever they do manage to get themselves into the backfield they over pursue and run themselves out of the play. None of them, and I mean none of them break down to make the hit. They arm tackle like a little girl trying to gently catch a butterfly with a net, and their pursuit angles are terrible. In short; this defense can't even perform the most basic of defensive activities, and that is all on the coaching. Every single player can be taught everything I mentioned by a half way decent coach. This isn't because they are young, or undersized, or undermanned, or slow. This is all based on coaching.