Another take...

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

nogerO
Senior

Another take...

Post by nogerO »

"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
QuackininBama
All Pac-12

Re: Another take...

Post by QuackininBama »

This goes way beyond, "Hey guys, not a great year but you have to expect some growing pains".

The Ducks are getting their s*%t pushed in,
every
single
week

The worst defense in THE ENTIRE NATION folks.
Through 7 games we've given up nearly 4000 yards of offense. FOUR THOUSAND YARDS. That's an average of 539yds a game.
Opposing offenses have scored 303 points against our defense. IN SEVEN GAMES. That's a staggering 43 points a game.

Helf has completely lost the locker room. Kids are all over twitter, players quitting during games, its astounding that in 24 months we went from playing for the national championship and having our first Heisman trophy winner to a team who, very likely, won't win another game all year.

This isn't a team who is, "just struggling to adjust to a new coach" guys, this is a meltdown of EPIC proportions. Helf has to go. The program really has no other choice or we will just do it again next season. Helf has no business being a head coach in ANY division one school.
pudgejeff
Senior
GM: Sacramento Kings GM

Post by pudgejeff »

QuackininBama wrote:This goes way beyond, "Hey guys, not a great year but you have to expect some growing pains".

every
single
week

Through 7 games we've given up nearly 4000 yards of offense. FOUR THOUSAND YARDS. That's an average of 539yds a game.
Opposing offenses have scored 303 points against our defense. IN SEVEN GAMES. That's a staggering 43 points a game.

Helf has completely lost the locker room. Kids are all over twitter, players quitting during games, its astounding that in 24 months we went from playing for the national championship and having our first Heisman trophy winner to a team who, very likely, won't win another game all year.

This isn't a team who is, "just struggling to adjust to a new coach" guys, this is a meltdown of EPIC proportions. Helf has to go. The program really has no other choice or we will just do it again next season. Helf has no business being a head coach in ANY division one school.
Man, you need to take a step back off the ledge. People repeating the same boring rhetoric even though we can see things changing right in front of us speaks to sheer laziness and general discontent than actually what may or may not be the reality of the situation.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

pudgejeff wrote:
QuackininBama wrote:This goes way beyond, "Hey guys, not a great year but you have to expect some growing pains".

every
single
week

Man, you need to take a step back off the ledge. People repeating the same boring rhetoric even though we can see things changing right in front of us speaks to sheer laziness and general discontent than actually what may or may not be the reality of the situation.
X2, enough with the Helf bashing in every post. As suggested step back and take a complete look.
rockthief
Senior

Post by rockthief »

a complete look at what - we missing something?
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

rockthief wrote:a complete look at what - we missing something?
If your talking to me.."... yes a bunch of you are
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

If it was up to Pudge though, we would still be employing Kent.
rockthief
Senior

Post by rockthief »

What are we missing?
maxduck
Senior

Post by maxduck »

Wasn't Michigan State in the playoff last year? They enter today's game at 2-4, 0-3 in the Big 10. Fire Mark Dantonio? Stanford was a strong contender last season yet they are barely above .500 at 4-3, losing today to Colorado. Tell David Shaw to hit the bricks?

I saw a team fight back to take the lead last night, the opposite of a lost locker room and players quitting. Oregon uses a horizontal leadership structure and that is a serious problem this year. With hard workers like Herbert and Schooler it will be vastly improved in the future.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Whatever this team is missing, is because of a lack of recruiting those missing pieces. Or in UO case, refusing to offer guys who ended up being superior to the guys we took. Victor was seen as someone that didn't fit Helfrichs little nice guy want in a LB, here he is now as a 1-2 round pick. John Ross begged for a offer, but by the time we got around to offering he was already a UW commit. I could go on and on about our lack of evaluation in recruiting. Recruiting is the lifeblood of a program, and our coaches failed at that for 3 years in key spots.
pudgejeff
Senior

Post by pudgejeff »

buckmarkduck wrote:If it was up to Pudge though, we would still be employing Kent.
Really bro? I've eaten crow on that plenty of times. I've admitted I was wrong with that. These are two very different situations, and I didnt anywhere say there weren't problems. But to say that team has quit after last night means you didn't watch the game or are just choosing to ignore to continue to try and push a point. The coaches also showed adjustment in play calling in the 2nd half, which is a big step. They're both first time playcallers and coordinators. I am of the view that Hoke has no clue how to stop or even slow down the spread and he is a bad fit. Lubick is still up in the air I think and you can see him leaning on some of his go to plays to often and you hope experience can fix that. Also, who knows how much of the offense Herbert can actually run at this point. The defense is beyond banged up, and they were already lacking depth before that. Reality can seem like excuses, but sometimes it's just reality and they aren't hiding behind it, they aren't saying it is what it is deal with it, they are saying we have to be better and we have to figure how to do it with these guys. They showed growth last night, and were actually in position to make some plays last night which is new.
GoDucksIn09
Senior

Post by GoDucksIn09 »

I am still of the belief that Helfrich should be fired. I have not changed my opinion on that. However, the team did fight yesterday. They were close to being blown out and fought really hard to make it a competitive game and even take the lead. The team has been blasted with injuries and is very young. The future might be bright but in no way do I want Helfrich coaching them. They did fight yesterday when could have just given up and they did keep fighting in the second half. I will give the coach and players some credit for that. I actually watched the whole game. Something not done all year. I would still say to fire Helfrich even if they won. Recruiting is the lifeblood of a program just as someone pointed out. Coaches will whiff on a player but Oregon has whiffed on countless players and not been able to get playmakers in the linebackers. It has been a huge weakness and continues to be. The evaluation of those players falls on the coaches. You miss on ones you want then you coach and motivate players to play beyond what thought you had. Our coaches cant motivate anyone.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

pudgejeff wrote:
buckmarkduck wrote:If it was up to Pudge though, we would still be employing Kent.
Really bro? I've eaten crow on that plenty of times. I've admitted I was wrong with that. These are two very different situations, and I didnt anywhere say there weren't problems. But to say that team has quit after last night means you didn't watch the game or are just choosing to ignore to continue to try and push a point. The coaches also showed adjustment in play calling in the 2nd half, which is a big step. They're both first time playcallers and coordinators. I am of the view that Hoke has no clue how to stop or even slow down the spread and he is a bad fit. Lubick is still up in the air I think and you can see him leaning on some of his go to plays to often and you hope experience can fix that. Also, who knows how much of the offense Herbert can actually run at this point. The defense is beyond banged up, and they were already lacking depth before that. Reality can seem like excuses, but sometimes it's just reality and they aren't hiding behind it, they aren't saying it is what it is deal with it, they are saying we have to be better and we have to figure how to do it with these guys. They showed growth last night, and were actually in position to make some plays last night which is new.
Shoot I remember for a while I thought you were Marcus because of that. Lol.
pudgejeff
Senior

Post by pudgejeff »

Duck07 wrote:
pudgejeff wrote:
Shoot I remember for a while I thought you were Marcus because of that. Lol.
Lol ya, I thought it was a terrible decision to fire him and for a long time I thought Dana was a Dennis Erickson type coach but I was super wrong on both accounts... He's opened up a bit more this year about his coaching and it's beyond impressive...I love that they just let the guys kinda play wherever through the out of conference game so they can make the best decisions on correct rotations into league and post-season play. Obviously a huge key in why the improve so much as the season wears on.
rockthief
Senior

Post by rockthief »

I am partially deaf but not blind. So I honestly want to know what I am missing. Thanks for responses. I am old but want to learn as much as I can.