40%
No
60%

Total votes: 58
jefflockie
One Star Recruit

Fire Helfrich midseason?

Post by jefflockie »

I have seen enough of this guy. After the Cal loss I am predicting losing every game the rest of the way. Might as well fire Helfrich now and let the healing begin.
rockthief
Senior

Re: Fire Helfrich midseason?

Post by rockthief »

He has little or nothing to give this team.
Kimber45
Three Star Recruit

Post by Kimber45 »

Voted no. I think firing a head coach during the season is a poor idea unless there is someone on staff who can step in and do a better job as interim coach. If not, then a mid-season firing might make the whole problem worse.
BTJ201
Three Star Recruit

Post by BTJ201 »

This is pointless, no way he gets fired and I'm willing to bet he is here next season also. We may as well look at positives because he will be around for the near future
fpsduck
Senior

Post by fpsduck »

While I might like to see him fired mid-season, I don't see it happening. We're stuck with him for the rest of the season at least IMO.
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

BTJ201 wrote:This is pointless, no way he gets fired and I'm willing to bet he is here next season also. We may as well look at positives because he will be around for the near future
I agree. Whether they're looked upon as excuses or not, there really is a lot of youth on the team, there've been a rash of injuries, new Coordinators, new QBs, had to replace 6 of the front 7 on defense, etc. The "next man up" philosophy is great, as long as there is a next man to go to.

All those things are legit, at least enough so where firing Helf mid-season could make the Oregon job potentially unattractive to some candidates. I think LSU may have hurt themselves by firing Les Miles mid-season.

Another reason I believe Helfrich will be back is because there'll be so many high profile jobs open and getting a big name coach to come to Oregon over places like USC, Texas, LSU and others, including possibly Penn State, UCLA, Auburn, etc wouldn't be easy to do.

In addition, you wouldn't want some rising star coach who'd use Oregon as a stepping stool.

I do think that Helfrich will need to make changes and that will likely cost Don Pellum his job. Someone has to fall on the sword and he's the most likely candidate.

This is depressing lately. :(
John 3:36
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Well for recruiting purposes if he's gone it should be done last week or last two weeks of the regular season in order to make it obvious we need a coach. Waiting too long can be an issue in its own right.
Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

There's nothing to gain by firing him midseason. I don't understand why we wouldn't wait til the offseason.
vegasdom
Three Star Recruit

Post by vegasdom »

No, the team is very young and getting a lot of experience, many freshman and redshirt freshman are seeing action. From what I've read its not easy switching defensive schemes. Plus the timing is bad for hiring a new staff this year, too many big name schools searching for replacements. Additionally, who is out there? Houston's coach? He is going to have 3 or 4 losses by the end of the season, he's overrated.
mdm0302
Freshman

Post by mdm0302 »

It is very interesting that Phil Knight is on the sideline for the Niners today as a "guest of Chip Kelly." Bring him back!
DuckMastaFunk
Five Star Recruit

Post by DuckMastaFunk »

The problem with the midseason firing is a mediocre interim coach getting the players behind him. Happened at USC with Orgeron and players & some alumni were discontent when SC went elsewhere. Same situation happened after Sark's firing and the AD felt obligated to hire there popular middling assistant coach. Now look where they are.

IMHO, The only reason to fire a coach midseason is either he embarrassed the program (Sark), or you want the guy gone and you have a window of opportunity to be rid of him. For instance with Les Miles, they could justify firing him at 2-2, but if he ends up winning the majority of the remaining games and LSU is ranked in the top 15 at the end of the season firing him becomes a lot harder and you may be stuck with him for another year.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

I'm not a guy who wants to keep Helfrich around, but at the same time, I don't know that we have anyone on staff thenplayers will rally around for the next 5 games. Might as well let him stick around, and see how the O plays from here on out. The O was night and day vs Cal from first half to second half. I suspect Helf had a big hand in the play calling after half. I know some said the deep pass helps open up the shorter stuff, but generally it's the opposite. You set up the home run by hitting the short stuff early on.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Kimber45 wrote:Voted no. I think firing a head coach during the season is a poor idea unless there is someone on staff who can step in and do a better job as interim coach. If not, then a mid-season firing might make the whole problem worse.
I agree with this. Although, I wouldn't mind to see him canned right after the civil war. No reason to keep him around for the bowl game.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

UOducksTK1 wrote:
Kimber45 wrote:Voted no. I think firing a head coach during the season is a poor idea unless there is someone on staff who can step in and do a better job as interim coach. If not, then a mid-season firing might make the whole problem worse.
I agree with this. Although, I wouldn't mind to see him canned right after the civil war. No reason to keep him around for the bowl game.
Bowl game? :lol:
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Phenom wrote:
UOducksTK1 wrote:
Bowl game? :lol:
:mrgreen:

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13