40%
No
60%

Total votes: 58
GoDucksIn09
Senior

Re: Fire Helfrich midseason?

Post by GoDucksIn09 »

Bowl Game... Would that be the Toilet Bowl for team that finishes way below expectations and finishes the year 3-9 or 2-10?
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

UOducksTK1 wrote:
Phenom wrote:
UOducksTK1 wrote:
Kimber45 wrote:Voted no. I think firing a head coach during the season is a poor idea unless there is someone on staff who can step in and do a better job as interim coach. If not, then a mid-season firing might make the whole problem worse.
I agree with this. Although, I wouldn't mind to see him canned right after the civil war. No reason to keep him around for the bowl game.
Bowl game? :lol:
:mrgreen:

Actually, a Bowl game still isn't out of the realm of possibility, even if we finish at 5-7. Nebraska went to a Bowl at 5-7 last year (and beat UCLA). If there aren't enough teams with winning records to fill all of the conference Bowl affiliations I'd almost guarantee that the Ducks would go somewhere at 5-7.

The 3 games I see remaining that I think are winnable are vs ASU, Stanford and OSU. I don't like our chances against USC and Utah. I wouldn't like them against Stanford any other year either, but their offense sucks almost as bad as our defense.

I know it would likely be a low ranked Bowl but the biggest thing would be the extra practice days allowed. Of course, a win would be great too, but those practice days are huge, especially with the team being so young.
John 3:36
gofightingducks
All Pac-12

Post by gofightingducks »

SuperDuck wrote:
UOducksTK1 wrote:
Phenom wrote:
UOducksTK1 wrote:
Kimber45 wrote:Voted no. I think firing a head coach during the season is a poor idea unless there is someone on staff who can step in and do a better job as interim coach. If not, then a mid-season firing might make the whole problem worse.
I agree with this. Although, I wouldn't mind to see him canned right after the civil war. No reason to keep him around for the bowl game.
Bowl game? :lol:
:mrgreen:

Actually, a Bowl game still isn't out of the realm of possibility, even if we finish at 5-7. Nebraska went to a Bowl at 5-7 last year (and beat UCLA). If there aren't enough teams with winning records to fill all of the conference Bowl affiliations I'd almost guarantee that the Ducks would go somewhere at 5-7.

The 3 games I see remaining that I think are winnable are vs ASU, Stanford and OSU. I don't like our chances against USC and Utah. I wouldn't like them against Stanford any other year either, but their offense sucks almost as bad as our defense.

I know it would likely be a low ranked Bowl but the biggest thing would be the extra practice days allowed. Of course, a win would be great too, but those practice days are huge, especially with the team being so young.
Unfortunately Oregon's defense is so bad they will make Stanford's QB look like Andrew Luck and Christian McCaffrey look like a Heisman candidate again and Utah's Joe Jackson ran for over 300 yards against UCLA, he will probably put up 500 on the Ducks D. OSU's 3rd string QB will look like a star. Oregon's D has not shown any improvement, they are by far the worst defense in the entire country so basically Herbert and the other young guys on offense will have to put up points on just about every series to win any games the rest of the season.
Greenblood
Senior

Post by Greenblood »

gofightingducks wrote:
Unfortunately Oregon's defense is so bad they will make Stanford's QB look like Andrew Luck and Christian McCaffrey look like a Heisman candidate again and Utah's Joe Jackson ran for over 300 yards against UCLA, he will probably put up 500 on the Ducks D. OSU's 3rd string QB will look like a star. Oregon's D has not shown any improvement, they are by far the worst defense in the entire country so basically Herbert and the other young guys on offense will have to put up points on just about every series to win any games the rest of the season.
Y'know . . . I get that we're upset with the team. I even get that we're more given to express ourselves with hyperbole under these circumstances. But let's be clear: The Duck D is definitely not "by far the worst defense in the entire country". In the simple stat of yards per game given up, they are indeed last (128th), by a total of 3.2 more yards per game given up than T. Tech. By the more helpful stat of yards given up per play, they're 110th. And the more analytical rankings put together by Football Outsiders have them at 113th/114th.

Indeed, all very dismal rankings for a very dismal Duck D to this point in 2016. But not (by far) the worst in the country. And as I mentioned before, they held Cal to almost a full yard below their season average in yards per play going into last week's game. In fact, it might be a better argument that the Duck offense was more to blame for the loss last week than the D, managing only 5.3 yards per play when Cal came in giving up 6.0 yards per play. Usually one can count on the Ducks being MORE efficient on offense on average vs. a team as compared to that team's other opponents, not less.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Greenblood wrote:
gofightingducks wrote:
Y'know . . . I get that we're upset with the team. I even get that we're more given to express ourselves with hyperbole under these circumstances. But let's be clear: The Duck D is definitely not "by far the worst defense in the entire country". In the simple stat of yards per game given up, they are indeed last (128th), by a total of 3.2 more yards per game given up than T. Tech. By the more helpful stat of yards given up per play, they're 110th. And the more analytical rankings put together by Football Outsiders have them at 113th/114th.

Indeed, all very dismal rankings for a very dismal Duck D to this point in 2016. But not (by far) the worst in the country. And as I mentioned before, they held Cal to almost a full yard below their season average in yards per play going into last week's game. In fact, it might be a better argument that the Duck offense was more to blame for the loss last week than the D, managing only 5.3 yards per play when Cal came in giving up 6.0 yards per play. Usually one can count on the Ducks being MORE efficient on offense on average vs. a team as compared to that team's other opponents, not less.
What's funny about that stat, is I've seen people who have actually said the want Kliff Kingsbury as the next HC. :lol: