What's your ideal coaching situation for next season?

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

GrantDuck
Senior

What's your ideal coaching situation for next season?

Post by GrantDuck »

Keep in mind this is "IDEAL" may not be possible for any # of reasons. I'm not going to include dead coaches or like "Nick Saban/Urban Meyer" that are 100% unlikely.

For me:

Head Coach: Chip Kelly or Jon Gruden

Offense:
Retain Coach Wood and Coach Cambell, the rest can go.

Defense: Clean house!/Coach Azz comes back too.
SuperDuck
Senior

Re: What's your ideal coaching situation for next season?

Post by SuperDuck »

GrantDuck wrote:Keep in mind this is "IDEAL" may not be possible for any # of reasons. I'm not going to include dead coaches or like "Nick Saban/Urban Meyer" that are 100% unlikely.

For me:

Head Coach: Chip Kelly or Jon Gruden

Offense:
Retain Coach Wood and Coach Campbell, the rest can go.

Defense: Clean house!/Coach Azz comes back too.

Gruden ain't coming.

Actually, Matt Lubick is a fantastic receivers coach. If he'd accept demotion he'd be outstanding. Then again, Chip might keep him as OC and tutor him. He's not going to be able to run the same offense as he did while he was at Oregon before without tweaking it and Helfrich and Lubick have done a good job of doing that. Our problem this year has been inexperience and execution.

He should also retain John Neal and just replace Aiken with Azz and Pellum with someone else.
John 3:36
QuackininBama
All Pac-12

Post by QuackininBama »

Chip, and whoever the hell he wants to bring along. Please god, make it happen.
duckfan22
Senior

Post by duckfan22 »

I 'm curious...are people wanting Chip back willing to go thru the saga that
will come up when other colleges come calling. And say it takes Chip a year
or two get things turned around? That being said i wouldnt mind seeing Chip back.
He may be stubborn and have a slight attitude but he knows how to win at the college level.
I do know he was a premadonna and things were done his way. And another thing is he
does not like to recruit. He leaves that to his assistant coaches. If Chip wasnt so stubborn by running right
at Auborns defense line we may have won that Natty. I just dont see the athletic dept going that route tho..
But the one thing that might make it happen iby bringing Chip back would keep season ticket holders
from leaving. He would instantly energize the masses. Because at the end of the day its about the money.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

I think Oregon's dream scenario would be essentially resetting the coaching staff to when CK was here before.

Helfrich back to OC/QBs.

Lubbick back to receivers.

And while I know some folks here are hell-bent on seeing Helfrich completely gone, let's remember that our offense -- while not performing as well this year -- is far from a glaring weakness. We still have one of the nation's better offenses, and that's despite having a mostly freshman OL and either a transfer or true-freshman QB. Our offenses under Helfrich have thrived throughout his tenure despite some pretty massive QB turnover, and I see no value in completely cutting ties with a perfectly good coach.

But our IDEAL scenario for next season? For me, it depends on what happens over the rest of the season as well as factors that none of us are privy to. If a change is made, then I'll trust it was for the best. Same goes for if no changes are made.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

pezsez1 wrote:I think Oregon's dream scenario would be essentially resetting the coaching staff to when CK was here before.

Helfrich back to OC/QBs.

And while I know some folks here are hell-bent on seeing Helfrich completely gone, let's remember that our offense -- while not performing as well this year -- is far from a glaring weakness. We still have one of the nation's better offenses, and that's despite having a mostly freshman OL and either a transfer or true-freshman QB. Our offenses under Helfrich have thrived throughout his tenure despite some pretty massive QB turnover, and I see no value in completely cutting ties with a perfectly good coach.

But our IDEAL scenario for next season? For me, it depends on what happens over the rest of the season as well as factors that none of us are privy to. If a change is made, then I'll trust it was for the best. Same goes for if no changes are made.
As much as the whole retain/demote process worries me, if we actually managed to bring Chip back I think it would work well. Restore the offensive staff as best as you can to what it was when Chip was here. I would imagine Chip would prefer it that anyway. The defensive staff would need a bit more TLC though.
BTJ201
Three Star Recruit

Post by BTJ201 »

dthomas=ddixon wrote:
pezsez1 wrote:I think Oregon's dream scenario would be essentially resetting the coaching staff to when CK was here before.

Helfrich back to OC/QBs.

As much as the whole retain/demote process worries me, if we actually managed to bring Chip back I think it would work well. Restore the offensive staff as best as you can to what it was when Chip was here. I would imagine Chip would prefer it that anyway. The defensive staff would need a bit more TLC though.
Does Chip come back as a better recruiter now having more NFL ties and relationships? That could potentially be a huge selling point to recruits knowing he has made relationships in the league. Just a thought if we are going hypothetical.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

I mean yes I want Chip a lot, but I don't think he'd be as good, simply because other coaches would constantly point out how he failed in the NFL and therefore he won't produce NFL talent, but he'd still be a HUGE upgrade. But yeah, if Helf would be willing to go back to OC and Lubick back to WR, then I think the only other changes that would need to happen is firing Hoke and letting Chip put Azz as DC, finding a new LB coach, and maybe finding a new strength coach that is only for football.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jimmy12
Senior

Post by jimmy12 »

Good lord this board, and the fans, have turned into USC trying to relive the Carroll era. It won't happen. People do go in reverse. Helf will not be the OC and Lubick the WR coach. It will not happen. While I do want to believe that Chip may come back someday, not everyone is going back to the glory days. Here's to hoping that if Chip doesn't come back, we go a different direction altogether.
fpsduck
Senior

Post by fpsduck »

Helfrich resigns and Chip comes home.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

BTW, I wouldn't assume Chip would want to keep Helfrich if he returned. A big reason he hired Helfrich was because he didn't want a "yes man" who'd just go along with whatever he said. He wanted fresh perspective. For that reason, I wouldn't be at all surprised if Chip wanted renewed fresh perspective with a new staff.

Keep in mind this all hinges on the highly unlikely scenario in which Chip comes back. But it's fun to talk about.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

Would love to see Chip come back and Helf and Lubick scoot down the couch, but if we are being realistic, I'd really just like Uncle Phil or somebody to find us a star defensive coordinator and guys who can coach linebackers and D-line. The rest would sort itself out.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

My ideal coaching staff with a pinky toe in the door of possibilities:

Head Coach/Offensive Coordinator: Chip Kelly
QB: Yost
RB: Campbell
TE: Justin Peele
WR: Lubbick
OL: Greatwood

Defensive Coordinator/LBs: Mike Nolan
DL: Azz
DB: Neal
ST: Matt Harper

I believe we can have 10 coaches so knowing Mike Clay is on the staff in SF, he could possibly replace Harper but working under Fipp and Undlin has been a benefit for Matt in working dual roles for Safeties and ST.

In sum, we get rid of Helfrich and Osborne on Offense and Aiken, Hoke and Pellum on Defense. Nolan is the only one who would be "new" to this group and he can fill the role of not being a Yes man. There's also a good possibility that if Chip comes, so does Ryan Day which would mean bye Yost or Lubbick.
FlDuckFan
All Pac-12
GM: Orlando Magic GM

Post by FlDuckFan »

Duck07 wrote:My ideal coaching staff with a pinky toe in the door of possibilities:

Head Coach/Offensive Coordinator: Chip Kelly
QB: Yost
RB: Campbell
TE: Justin Peele
WR: Lubbick
OL: Greatwood

Defensive Coordinator/LBs: Mike Nolan
DL: Azz
DB: Neal
ST: Matt Harper

I believe we can have 10 coaches so knowing Mike Clay is on the staff in SF, he could possibly replace Harper but working under Fipp and Undlin has been a benefit for Matt in working dual roles for Safeties and ST.

In sum, we get rid of Helfrich and Osborne on Offense and Aiken, Hoke and Pellum on Defense. Nolan is the only one who would be "new" to this group and he can fill the role of not being a Yes man. There's also a good possibility that if Chip comes, so does Ryan Day which would mean bye Yost or Lubbick.
Stupid question but how is Oregon limited to ~10 coaches but Alabama has like 15
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Alabama calls them advisors and they can't be part of practice or games. They can game plan and break down film though is my understanding. You are also allowed support staff, which is why guys like Jeff Hawkins will be down on the field but Hawk ain't game planning.