Chip Kelly Rumors

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

406Duck
High School Drop Out

Chip Kelly Rumors

Post by 406Duck »

There's been a lot of stuff swirling over the past few days about the possibility of Chip returning to coach Oregon. From Uncle Phil roaming the sidelines of the Niners game, to the Paul Finebaum comments on CFB Live yesterday. I have mixed feelings on if this is a good thing to entertain, or if we need to move in a new direction entirely. I have a feeling if he did hypothetically return, it could be a Nick Saban type deal, where he would be here for the long term now that he has made the NFL move. It should be an interesting couple of months seeing how these things develop.
QuackininBama
All Pac-12

Re: Chip Kelly Rumors

Post by QuackininBama »

The 49ers are a hot mess and its not entirely his fault, he just got there, however, wow, they stink. Its gonna take years to get them competitive again.
ESPN's Darren Rovell added that Kelly figures to be making at least $12.5 million for each of the next two years between his new deal with San Francisco and what the Eagles still owe him. Paul Gutierrez of ESPN reported Kelly would be getting a four-year, $24 million deal from the team.
As fun as it is to talk about Chips return I don't see the organization dumping its 2nd coach in as many seasons. If he wants to be there he will have a job next year.
justducky0
Senior

Post by justducky0 »

Just for the pure drama about it. Bringing Chip back would be awesome, I know for a fact its a pipe dream..but still fun to think about it. It would def re energize the program.
lmduck

Post by lmduck »

Not as much of a pipe dream as some think. Not saying it is certain but this story does have some credence and credibility.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BTJ201
Three Star Recruit

Post by BTJ201 »

I read or heard on sports talk that he was asked and stated that he isn't interested in any college jobs. Take that for whatever it's worth.
QuackininBama
All Pac-12

Post by QuackininBama »

BTJ201 wrote:I read or heard on sports talk that he was asked and stated that he isn't interested in any college jobs. Take that for whatever it's worth.
Well of course he's going to say that. He just signed a 4 year contract 8 months ago.
BTJ201
Three Star Recruit

Post by BTJ201 »

QuackininBama wrote:
BTJ201 wrote:I read or heard on sports talk that he was asked and stated that he isn't interested in any college jobs. Take that for whatever it's worth.
Well of course he's going to say that. He just signed a 4 year contract 8 months ago.
Ya I figured that as well.
duckfan22
Senior

Post by duckfan22 »

the thing with Chip is he has a pretty big ego.. Failure is not in his DNA. as much as they say his system
will not work in the NFL the more he will try to prove them wrong.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

duckfan22 wrote:the thing with Chip is he has a pretty big ego.. Failure is not in his DNA. as much as they say his system
will not work in the NFL the more he will try to prove them wrong.
The thing with the NFL, is they don't keep giving guys chances to be a HC, once they've proven they can't do it. His only way back to being In charge, would be as an OC, or as a ultra successful college HC.
Last edited by buckmarkduck on Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

I think it's a lot more likely to happen than some people are making it out to be but a lot less likely than others are wanting it to be ha.

A few very big things have to happen, if they do then I think there's a great chance he comes back. Without them happening though, there's no shot. For one, the 49ers Jed York will have to fire Baalke. That in turn greatly increases the chance that Chip is let go. I don't think he'll be fired without Baalke and I definitely don't think he will just quit. At that point, if Chip is unemployed, there will have to be no HC job offers or even any good OC opportunities (Patriots, for example). Lastly, Oregon obviously has to have a HC vacancy and be willing to make Chip an offer he can't refuse (great contract, complete control, etc.)

If those, along with other small factors, fall into place then I think Chip is as likely as anyone to be our next HC.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

I think it's a lot more likely to happen than some people are making it out to be but a lot less likely than others are wanting it to be ha.

A few very big things have to happen, if they do then I think there's a great chance he comes back. Without them happening though, there's no shot. For one, the 49ers Jed York will have to fire Baalke. That in turn greatly increases the chance that Chip is let go. I don't think he'll be fired without Baalke and I definitely don't think he will just quit. At that point, if Chip is unemployed, there will have to be no HC job offers or even any good OC opportunities (Patriots, for example). Lastly, Oregon obviously has to have a HC vacancy and be willing to make Chip an offer he can't refuse (great contract, complete control, etc.)

If those, along with other small factors, fall into place then I think Chip is as likely as anyone to be our next HC.
+1
Willie Taggart is a dick.
BTJ201
Three Star Recruit

Post by BTJ201 »

Just to play Devils advocate, how much time does Oregon give Chip if he returns. It would be very hard to live up to the almost mythotical legacy he left behind.

For example if Chip "the brain" Kelly comes back and only wins 8 or 9 games the first couple years are we as fans going to start. Along for his seat to get hot because I we will want 11 or 12 with him?
maxduck
Senior

Post by maxduck »

Assume Chip won't be fired after his first year in SF. Also assume the odds of his dismissal increase dramatically after year 2--no offense, defense terrible and the stands empty. With the probability Chip is available at the end of 2017 should Oregon give Helfrich another year?
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

maxduck wrote:Assume Chip won't be fired after his first year in SF. Also assume the odds of his dismissal increase dramatically after year 2--no offense, defense terrible and the stands empty. With the probability Chip is available at the end of 2017 should Oregon give Helfrich another year?
Rumors swirling that the SF GM will get fired, and usually a new GM will want his own guy as coach.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

buckmarkduck wrote:
maxduck wrote:Assume Chip won't be fired after his first year in SF. Also assume the odds of his dismissal increase dramatically after year 2--no offense, defense terrible and the stands empty. With the probability Chip is available at the end of 2017 should Oregon give Helfrich another year?
Rumors swirling that the SF GM will get fired, and usually a new GM will want his own guy as coach.
Unless they hire Tom Gamble