State your choice!

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

FlDuckFan
All Pac-12
GM: Orlando Magic GM

Re: State your choice!

Post by FlDuckFan »

dthomas=ddixon wrote:It's funny to me that people are so turned off by Frost just because of the QB stuff. Seems a bit short sighted. He has all the markings of a great leader and head coach. He's already turned UCF around and will likely have a power5 job in a few years. There's more to being a HC than teaching throwing technique.
He turned them around in spite of extremely poor QB play all year, and that's why everyone soured on him. His inability to develop a QB has some of us duck fans to not want him.
UofO8
Senior

Post by UofO8 »

FlDuckFan wrote:
dthomas=ddixon wrote:It's funny to me that people are so turned off by Frost just because of the QB stuff. Seems a bit short sighted. He has all the markings of a great leader and head coach. He's already turned UCF around and will likely have a power5 job in a few years. There's more to being a HC than teaching throwing technique.
He turned them around in spite of extremely poor QB play all year, and that's why everyone soured on him. His inability to develop a QB has some of us duck fans to not want him.
This. I would prefer to develop our QB's and not have to go and hunt some from lower tier programs again. A large part of that situation was on him.
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

I just don't see why that means to so many that he can't be a good head coach.

Seriously, as a HC would he even be involved in QB development?
5$
Five Star Recruit

Post by 5$ »

^ I agree
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

GrandpaDuck wrote:
Boom wrote:Les Miles?
Miles is only interested in coaching teams that play on real grass. That field turf gets stuck in his teeth.
LMAO :lol:
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

Want NO part of Schiano or Harsin. Schiano has failed almost everywhere he's been.

Chip, PJ Fleck, or the guy from USF are all good choices.
GoDucksIn09
Senior

Post by GoDucksIn09 »

I don't want Frost. I would pass on Schiano as well as Kiffin. I suppose if was forced to pick from those 3 I would pick Frost but really do not want any of them. I think Gruden be a great hire. I don't see it happening though. My top 3 choices would probably be Chip.... Gruden... or Fleck. I think Fleck might be the only one that might consider it though. I think Gruden or Chip is a pipe dream.

Autzen noise said decision already been made. He mentioned some boosters will be happy. What about the fans. I know they really have no say. I am curious what the fans would think. I am not asking to disclose the name. I am just asking what the fans reaction might be.
RanDux
Senior

Post by RanDux »

How about Tony Dungee?
gofightingducks
All Pac-12

Post by gofightingducks »

FlDuckFan wrote:

He may not be a good OC or QB coach but seems to be a pretty good HC, if the Ducks can bring in Chin (good recruiter and cant be any worse than DP and Hoke as DC) along with Frost, keep Yost and get a good OC, it could work out. Not what I would like to see but I could see it working.
duckfan22
Senior

Post by duckfan22 »

seems like in other threads Schiano is getting mentioned... now that wouldnt be horrible but he is more
of a old school coach. Im more on the fleck bandwagon..Oregon wants to be different..stand out to recruits
just Dont see Schiano as the guy. Fleck would be the guy to make Oregon different in the pac-12
FlDuckFan
All Pac-12
GM: Orlando Magic GM

Post by FlDuckFan »

gofightingducks wrote:
FlDuckFan wrote:

He may not be a good OC or QB coach but seems to be a pretty good HC, if the Ducks can bring in Chin (good recruiter and cant be any worse than DP and Hoke as DC) along with Frost, keep Yost and get a good OC, it could work out. Not what I would like to see but I could see it working.

He's a bad play caller too. Remember all the fades in redzone. He's been questionable with that at UCF all year as well. Maybe if he had been gone longer and truly established himself as a strong head coach. Frost has to many maybes to choose him.
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

FlDuckFan wrote:
gofightingducks wrote:
FlDuckFan wrote:

He's a bad play caller too. Remember all the fades in redzone. He's been questionable with that at UCF all year as well. Maybe if he had been gone longer and truly established himself as a strong head coach. Frost has to many maybes to choose him.
If he's entirely responsible for the bad aspects of the QB play and play calling, why doesn't he get any credit for the positives during his tenure?

The only "maybes" I've seen brought up are QB development, which he wouldn't be responsible for as a HC, and a dozen end zone fades.
rsbgduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by rsbgduck »

Someone suggested or asked about Charlie Strong and got a response (not a quote) that he didn't do anything at Texas.
This isn't my pick but I have always liked the guy and how he ran his program. Has a couple NC while at Florida as the DC, went to Louisville and turned a Cardinal team into a contender in his second year. I personally don't think the Cardinals would be having the success they are now if it wasn't for him. Then he gets offered the greatest head coaching job in all of college football (sarcasm, but some feel that way), the Texas Longhorns. As far as wins and losses he didn't do well and I agree in the end that's what counts when trying to keep your job. How he got hired at Texas I don't understand because what seemed like every donor/booster did not want him, along with most of the athletic department. A lot of Texas high school football coaches wouldn't talk to him or his staff. Everyone knows that if you don't get in with HS coaches in and out of state even when you're Texas it makes recruiting tough, especially highly sought after recruits. At that time other programs in the state and surrounding area were making big improvements to facilities, better coaching staffs that improved the wins/losses. One of the things Texas made clear before the hire was that who ever the next head coach was they wanted all the off field issues they were having to come to an end. Before he coached his first game a bunch of players (13-16 I think) were either suspended, dismissed, quit or transferred and a few more during the season. I don't mean for this to be a feel sorry for Charlie post at all, my point is he had no support from the school or state and had no chance to be successful at Texas. I think he was mainly brought in to clean up the off field problems, and if the program wasn't winning then fire him and that's what happened. It sure wasn't because of a drop in revenue it was up 16%. Someone will say then why such a high buyout ($19 million for him and coaches), first I think the school thought the boosters/donors and HS coaches would eventually get on board, second Oregon just fired its HC and will be paying him $15 million including staff. $4mil isn't much when you look at the revenue difference between the schools. Texas is 1 on the list at $152 million and $97 million in profit, Oregon is at 14 with $75 mil in Revenue and $40 mil in profit. To me it looks like it cost Oregon more to fire Helf than it did Texas to fire Strong.
This has turned into way more than I wanted it to. He's not my 1st choice but it wouldn't bother me if Oregon did bring him in. I think his name should of been in the hat considering all the other ridiculous names that have been floated around.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Fleck has written a nice article on The Players' Tribune that gives you a good idea of what he's about. The more I read, the more I'm warming up to him possibly taking over.

http://www.theplayerstribune.com/pj-fle ... ep-rowing/
srduck
Three Star Recruit

Post by srduck »

FlDuckFan wrote:I've suggested this guy before but maybe it should be brought back up. What about Jim Tressel ?
Why?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk