State your choice!

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

FlDuckFan
All Pac-12
GM: Orlando Magic GM

Re: State your choice!

Post by FlDuckFan »

srduck wrote:
FlDuckFan wrote:I've suggested this guy before but maybe it should be brought back up. What about Jim Tressel ?
Why?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Because he wasn't a bad coach.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

FlDuckFan wrote:
srduck wrote:
FlDuckFan wrote:I've suggested this guy before but maybe it should be brought back up. What about Jim Tressel ?
Why?

Because he wasn't a bad coach.
He's basically said he's retired from coaching and is enjoying being a university president. Much less pressure and far less people badmouthing him.
StreeterCL
One Star Recruit

Post by StreeterCL »

PJ Fleck with Bob Davie as offensive coordinator. That would be my dream. Flecks energy and Davie's New Mexico offense

FlDuckFan
All Pac-12
GM: Orlando Magic GM

Post by FlDuckFan »

StreeterCL wrote:PJ Fleck with Bob Davie as offensive coordinator. That would be my dream. Flecks energy and Davie's New Mexico offense

He'd probably bring his current OC.
Lightning Strikes
Three Star Recruit

Post by Lightning Strikes »

I've been looking into Willie Taggart recently. His record isn't great, but I love his attitude and I think he's a good fit for the tradition already established in the program.

I don't want a larger-than-life guy who wants to uproot everything that's been built. The foundation is rock solid, we just need a new interior designer.
UofDuck
Senior

Post by UofDuck »

Ken Niumatalolo, Dino Babers, or Matt Rhule. Looking for some fresh blood. I'd prefer not to have a fired re-tread. Regarding Ken Niumatalolo, the guy is smart and a great coach and leader of young men and I have little doubt he could transition to a different offensive scheme. He was Hawaii's QB.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

UofDuck wrote:Ken Niumatalolo, Dino Babers, or Matt Rhule. Looking for some fresh blood. I'd prefer not to have a fired re-tread. Regarding Ken Niumatalolo, the guy is smart and a great coach and leader of young men and I have little doubt he could transition to a different offensive scheme. He was Hawaii's QB.
Hawaii ran the triple option when he played for them, which he's kept as a HC. He could easily have gone to something else but he's wedded to that offense since it's what he's comfortable with and it works against the majority of teams they play. I just don't see it working in the Pac-12 at the same level it does with Navy, especially with all the high-powered spread offenses.
duckfan22
Senior

Post by duckfan22 »

Ducks in the 70's i believe ran the option and had a qb named Reggie Ogburn.. Really good.
Ducks only one running that in the pac-12. unfortunetly the ducks didnt have much to go
with him. Just not a fan of the triple option, spoiled by the spread i guess.
Handsome Dan
Four Star Recruit

Post by Handsome Dan »

Come on, is anyone really running the triple option if they don't have to?
duckfan22
Senior

Post by duckfan22 »

air force runs a version Paul Johnson at Georgia Tech Army runs a version and of course Navy
Handsome Dan
Four Star Recruit

Post by Handsome Dan »

The service academies can't recruit normal linemen because of fitness standards and Georgia Tech isn't exactly conventional either.
fpsduck
Senior

Post by fpsduck »

duckfan22 wrote:Ducks in the 70's i believe ran the option and had a qb named Reggie Ogburn.. Really good.
Ducks only one running that in the pac-12. unfortunetly the ducks didnt have much to go
with him. Just not a fan of the triple option, spoiled by the spread i guess.
Yep. Ogburn was awesome. After he left the Ducks returned to, well, barely better than OSU.
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

I'm hoping that whoever's brought in as OC runs a balanced attack. We're almost always loaded with great running backs and Justin Herbert is going to be a stud QB. The running and passing games both need to be a threat.
John 3:36
duckfan22
Senior

Post by duckfan22 »

SuperDuck wrote:I'm hoping that whoever's brought in as OC runs a balanced attack. We're almost always loaded with great running backs and Justin Herbert is going to be a stud QB. The running and passing games both need to be a threat.
agree 100 % we not only need to run by people but be physical to run over them..
And we have to be able to throw down field so they cant load the box. Teams like Utah and
colorado etc run a spread but they are also physical on offense. Sometimes it seemed to
be missing at Oregon
UofDuck
Senior

State your choice!

Post by UofDuck »

greenyellow wrote:
UofDuck wrote:Ken Niumatalolo, Dino Babers, or Matt Rhule. Looking for some fresh blood. I'd prefer not to have a fired re-tread. Regarding Ken Niumatalolo, the guy is smart and a great coach and leader of young men and I have little doubt he could transition to a different offensive scheme. He was Hawaii's QB.
Hawaii ran the triple option when he played for them, which he's kept as a HC. He could easily have gone to something else but he's wedded to that offense since it's what he's comfortable with and it works against the majority of teams they play. I just don't see it working in the Pac-12 at the same level it does with Navy, especially with all the high-powered spread offenses.
Point taken. I'm not suggesting it, but it would be so interesting to see if a team like Oregon could take the triple option to the PAC and have success. Teams rarely see it and struggle defending it, especially if you'd mix in Oregon skill players. Just a thought while I wait for news on our coach.