Helf Officially Out

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Alan
Senior

Re: Helf Officially Out

Post by Alan »

Oregonian wrote:Rumblings of Brian Kelly on some ND forums right now
There will be lots of rumblings and rumors going around, most probably from the media. I agree we should hear something by Monday if it's not leaked before. On on the Fleck boat myself.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Chip Kelly was asked about the firing by ESPN and he said that he's only spoken to Helf. Said he feels bad and hopes for the best for both him and Oregon.
http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-0 ... 84663289-4
fpsduck
Senior

Post by fpsduck »

greenyellow wrote:Then you have this tweet from him back in October. If he follows up on that threat, that could severely impact how he advises his brother, 2018 4* RB/ATH Trey Lowe, during his recruitment.

Sounds like an "I'm leaving the country if _____ is elected" threat.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

That Keanon tweet rubbed me the wrong way. It's incredibly ironic that he's calling out other people for sounding spoiled....
UofDuck
Senior

Post by UofDuck »

pezsez1 wrote:Silver lining: This is way more interesting than the Vegas Bowl.
Haha! Tru dat
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

It'll be up shortly for people to listen to again, but Helfrich just got done doing an interview on ESPN Radio's Russillo and Kanell and it seems he's in good spirits considering the week and season he's had. He's spent much of the time so far helping out those who are out of a job find new ones, taking calls from people he knows or crossed paths with over the years to get condolences and thanks, and talking to a few people about college and NFL jobs. He admits to it being difficult how his tenure ended at essentially his hometown team but is thankful for the experiences he had. As for Chip, he thinks Chip will stick it out in the NFL until he gets it right and did confirm that Chip is not the biggest fan of recruiting.
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

greenyellow wrote:It'll be up shortly for people to listen to again, but Helfrich just got done doing an interview on ESPN Radio's Russillo and Kanell and it seems he's in good spirits considering the week and season he's had. He's spent much of the time so far helping out those who are out of a job find new ones, taking calls from people he knows or crossed paths with over the years to get condolences and thanks, and talking to a few people about college and NFL jobs. He admits to it being difficult how his tenure ended at essentially his hometown team but is thankful for the experiences he had. As for Chip, he thinks Chip will stick it out in the NFL until he gets it right and did confirm that Chip is not the biggest fan of recruiting.
Thanks! Wish the best for Mark unless we play his team or he joins a rival.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Phenom wrote:
greenyellow wrote:It'll be up shortly for people to listen to again, but Helfrich just got done doing an interview on ESPN Radio's Russillo and Kanell and it seems he's in good spirits considering the week and season he's had. He's spent much of the time so far helping out those who are out of a job find new ones, taking calls from people he knows or crossed paths with over the years to get condolences and thanks, and talking to a few people about college and NFL jobs. He admits to it being difficult how his tenure ended at essentially his hometown team but is thankful for the experiences he had. As for Chip, he thinks Chip will stick it out in the NFL until he gets it right and did confirm that Chip is not the biggest fan of recruiting.
Thanks! Wish the best for Mark unless we play his team or he joins a rival.
In the analysis after, Russillo and Kanell said that not many coaches would have done this type of interview so soon after getting fired and that this is why Helf is so widely liked by the media and those in the sports world. They also said, while talking about Helf's legitimate faults, he was also victim to the program's own success and that increased expectations got the best of him and the players.
AutzenMember
Five Star Recruit

Post by AutzenMember »

What I thought was interesting is that Mark said he spoke to Chip to essentially gauge his interest in returning to Oregon, because (paraphrasing Mark) it would save jobs (hinting that Chip would keep current staff members in place if he returned as HC). He went on to say that Chip was committed to making it right in the NFL.
rentdodger1
Three Star Recruit

Post by rentdodger1 »

Normally I would never take time out of the day to watch/listen to any sportstalk. I did want to listen to what Helfrich had to say. It takes a big man to go public after a getting fired. He will land somewhere and better days are ahead. Quality people always want to try and take care of his people and it sounds like that is his main concern.

Interesting comments from him on Kelly. Reading between the lines, it does appear there was some fire to Kelly coming back. I think that Oregon had moved on from CK prior to the CW.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

AutzenMember wrote:
What I thought was interesting is that Mark said he spoke to Chip to essentially gauge his interest in returning to Oregon, because (paraphrasing Mark) it would save jobs (hinting that Chip would keep current staff members in place if he returned as HC). He went on to say that Chip was committed to making it right in the NFL.
Must have missed that part since my streaming feed on the show cut out on me a few times.

Edit: Actually I did hear this part but I think me multi-tasking with only one earbud in made me not process it correctly. Based on this, I think we now know why the Chip Kelly rumors started up and have persisted.
Juice
Four Star Recruit

Post by Juice »

AutzenMember wrote:
AutzenMember.. completely off topic but I noticed you have your son's highlights and your location says Camas. Are you guys big Papermaker fans? And are you planning on watching the 4A title game Saturday?
shoparound
Four Star Recruit

Post by shoparound »

Nice to hear Helf is ok and talking.
Interesting to hear comments about how the media "liked" him, as it probably didn't help how many articles about how bad Oregon was this year and how they kept pushing that Helf was probably going to be fired. So no matter how much the media likes you, they will sell you out for their stories.
AutzenMember
Five Star Recruit

Post by AutzenMember »

Juice wrote:
AutzenMember wrote:
AutzenMember.. completely off topic but I noticed you have your son's highlights and your location says Camas. Are you guys big Papermaker fans? And are you planning on watching the 4A title game Saturday?
We are actually Union HS, which is Camas' main rival. I will say, though, that Camas is REALLY good. Watched them destroy Central Catholic 42-10 and it wasn't even that close. Men vs boys. Jack Coletto the Camas QB is the real deal.
Duck24
Senior

Post by Duck24 »

I didn't take the phone call as him gauging Chip's interest in the job at all. I took it as he was well aware of his tenuous position and heard the rumors regarding Chip, called him and said that their personal relationship should have no bearing on his decision and if he did come back, trying to figure out how he would handle the staff. At the end of the day, he was more concerned about the people that didn't have the $11M golden parachute, which speaks volumes about Helf.