Helf Officially Out

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Duck24
Senior

Re: Helf Officially Out

Post by Duck24 »

greenyellow wrote:Seems the most common feeling/reaction from past players and coaches is a mixture of sadness, anger, and confusion.
I think this is my current favorite.
northbeachsf
Freshman

Post by northbeachsf »

UOducksTK1 wrote:Do you think they would fire Helfrich if they didn't have a good idea of who would take over next?
Maybe? They fired EK and royally screwed up that search. Then, by some miracle, landed a home run in Altman.

Can we win lotto twice??.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

northbeachsf wrote:
UOducksTK1 wrote:Do you think they would fire Helfrich if they didn't have a good idea of who would take over next?
Maybe? They fired EK and royally screwed up that search. Then, by some miracle, landed a home run in Altman.

It would be 3 times. I think they hit it out with Graves too.
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

Alan wrote:
Duck24 wrote:
greenyellow wrote:
FlDuckFan wrote:
UOducksTK1 wrote:
Autzenoise wrote:The next coach is already chosen. Give it until next Monday or so for official announcement. We may hear rumbling before as certain recruits leak it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Exciting if true.

And gotta be thankful for Helfrich's love for this program. But unfortunately, he is just not cut out to coach the Ducks.
I think he's not cut out to coach the Ducks now.. If there was no Chip and the program went from Bellotti to Helfrich , he'd have been fine but the success Chip brought changed the projection and expectations of the job for the foreseeable future.
Mark was always in a thankless position coming in after Chip. Unless he matched Chip, he was always going to be looked down upon by a lot of fans, many of whom only showed up during Chip's time.
This gets all the likes that this forum doesn't have functionality for. That isn't an indictment of all in the Helf needs to go camp but there are a lot of "fans" that don't understand that Oregon football didn't begin in 2007. Not to get all nostalgic but Oregon took pride in the "built from within" mentality and some, including myself, are having difficulty getting past that. I thought changes needed to be made, if the right candidate presented itself, so now we will see.
As a long time Duck fan, Helf's firing is the end of an era and tradition of Duck football....... along with sellouts, hardest place to play. sad night, but all I can do as a Duck fan is see what comes.
That era of Oregon football ended when we stopped going out and finding innovative coaches that brought life into the program and started promoting and retaining/demoting long time position coaches.

I realize "coaching continuity" is everyone's favorite narrative right now but it only tells part of the story of Oregon's rise. It was always about being innovative FIRST, the continuity resulted but it was never the focus until Mullens came along. The obsession with it the last 3-4 years, along with forgetting who we actually are and what got us here, is the reason we're in the situation we are now.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

GrandpaDuck wrote:
northbeachsf wrote:

It would be 3 times. I think they hit it out with Graves too.
But that search went pretty smooth and he was basically in their top 3 picks, if not their top one.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Then you have this tweet from him back in October. If he follows up on that threat, that could severely impact how he advises his brother, 2018 4* RB/ATH Trey Lowe, during his recruitment.
5$
Five Star Recruit

Post by 5$ »

northbeachsf wrote:

Who was the AD when Altman was hired? Bellotti, Kilkenny, Mullens, other?
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Kilkenny. Kilkenny hired him and Horton. Mullens hired Helfrich, Robert Johnson, and Kelly Graves.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

Another bright side: We're back on the front of ESPN.com!
Willie Taggart is a dick.
shoparound
Four Star Recruit

Post by shoparound »

Duck24 wrote:
GrandpaDuck wrote:
Duck24 wrote:
GrandpaDuck wrote:
Alan wrote:
Duck24 wrote:Man, they roasted Helf in the last few paragraphs of the media release. Helf has handled this whole situation with tact and respect and they repay him but spitting on him on the way out the door. Not a good look.
I can't search but do you have a link? Thanks, Alan
It has been edited out.
Yeah, Rob Moseley was taking flak for some of it on twitter and edited it out, as he should and acknowledged it. Rob is a great guy at what he does which is why I was so shocked to see what looked to be shots at him in the press release.

It's a shitty night for everyone in the program because it's not just one guy with a golden parachute losing his job. This trickles down a lot farther than most want to acknowledge. Support staff, trainers, nutritionists, grad assistants, QA guys and so on. There's a lot of people like us right now who don't know what the next few months hold in store for them.
Exactly, its not Helf I feel sorry for as much as say Steve Greatwood and the other coaches who probably wanted to retire at Oregon and retire on their own time table. With Helf he gets a ton of money and it was his hire that cost him his job. The other assistants are likely getting fired because Helf chooses DCs on the oddest criteria.
It's not even the Campbell's, Greatwood, Osborne, Pellum and other long time/ready to retire guys I'm overly concerned with. Those guys have been making six figures for sometime and likely have some sort of longer term contract. It's the people you don't know the names of who are most impacted. Yes it's unfortunate for the David Yost and Matt Lubick types but it's the people who make $35k/yr and don't have contracts through June 30 like the coaches and could be out of a job in a few months. Go look at an athletic department org chart and you'll see the people I'm talking about.
This. Not sure why people are so sad for those who made a lot of money that ended up not working out. They will be fine. Lots of college coaches with high positions end up in good programs elsewhere. Look at Hoke.
But it is everyone lower in the ladder that you do feel sorry for. The grad assistants, interns, lady office managers, trainers, equipment. Sure most will be fine, Oregon is still a big name in their resume, but you never know.
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

Autzenoise wrote:The next coach is already chosen. Give it until next Monday or so for official announcement. We may hear rumbling before as certain recruits leak it.

Thanks for posting.

Hoping it's not Schiano (career 69-68 record), but everyone else rumored sounds good to me.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Here's Pharaoh Brown's reaction to local TV reporter Preston Hiefield:
Duck24
Senior

Post by Duck24 »

I don't buy what Pharaoh is saying at all. The "blame the young guy" crap makes no sense when you consider the young guys were the bright spot this season. It just doesn't fit the narrative with how things played out on the field.

If you follow Rob Moseley on twitter, after the CW he said something along the lines of "some of the older guys were focused on themselves" which led to the void in upper classmen leadership. You heard similar things from guys like Tyree Robinson after the CW as well.

I'm starting to think that guys like Pharaoh were the issue this season and those texts back it up in my mind.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

Duck24 wrote:I don't buy what Pharaoh is saying at all. The "blame the young guy" crap makes no sense when you consider the young guys were the bright spot this season. It just doesn't fit the narrative with how things played out on the field.

If you follow Rob Moseley on twitter, after the CW he said something along the lines of "some of the older guys were focused on themselves" which led to the void in upper classmen leadership. You heard similar things from guys like Tyree Robinson after the CW as well.

I'm starting to think that guys like Pharaoh were the issue this season and those texts back it up in my mind.
You're completely wrong, the young guys out on the field over their heads is a large part of why the defense failed. The young guys on the O line is large part of why Royce struggled this year.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Alan wrote:
Duck24 wrote:
greenyellow wrote:
FlDuckFan wrote:
UOducksTK1 wrote:

Exciting if true.

And gotta be thankful for Helfrich's love for this program. But unfortunately, he is just not cut out to coach the Ducks.
I think he's not cut out to coach the Ducks now.. If there was no Chip and the program went from Bellotti to Helfrich , he'd have been fine but the success Chip brought changed the projection and expectations of the job for the foreseeable future.
Mark was always in a thankless position coming in after Chip. Unless he matched Chip, he was always going to be looked down upon by a lot of fans, many of whom only showed up during Chip's time.
This gets all the likes that this forum doesn't have functionality for. That isn't an indictment of all in the Helf needs to go camp but there are a lot of "fans" that don't understand that Oregon football didn't begin in 2007. Not to get all nostalgic but Oregon took pride in the "built from within" mentality and some, including myself, are having difficulty getting past that. I thought changes needed to be made, if the right candidate presented itself, so now we will see.
As a long time Duck fan, Helf's firing is the end of an era and tradition of Duck football....... along with sellouts, hardest place to play. sad night, but all I can do as a Duck fan is see what comes.
Helfrich had already ruined all that stuff. Autzen was no longer a tough place to play, his teams weren't tough. Helfrich ended the sellout streak. That's why he was fired.