Who's your off-the-wall hire

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

DuckMastaFunk
Five Star Recruit

Who's your off-the-wall hire

Post by DuckMastaFunk »

So since there's very little to do except speculate at this point, how about some off-the-wall names for coach that you'd be okay with. This doesn't have to be your top choice, just a guy that is not on the radar, but you'd be okay if he got hired.

I'll start it off with Mike Bellotti; I haven't heard his name mentioned. He is a proven winner and we know he can hire good assistants.

My runner up is Dennis Erickson. I think he plays a big role in Utah's success, but I have reservations about him being able to run a clean program.
duckfan22
Senior

Re: Who's your off-the-wall hire

Post by duckfan22 »

i doubt they go the cordinator route but mine would be Todd Orlando dc at Houston
Next would be Lincoln Riley Oklahoma OC .
rsbgduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by rsbgduck »

Peterson, it's possible but not probable.
Off the wall would be Urban Myer
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

From the DC ranks Chavis and Aranda.

From the sitting in the booth ranks: Aliotti

Derek Mason at Vandy
Navy and Air Force Coaches
Willie Taggart SFU
QuackininBama
All Pac-12

Post by QuackininBama »

Although this name has actually been mentioned, I'll go with Greg Schiano. Not MY choice, I'm a Chip or Fleck guy, just throwing it out there since Knight is close to the Ohio State program and word is guy is the real deal.
Spokaneduck
Three Star Recruit

Post by Spokaneduck »

I would be happy with Beau Baldwin from EWU. He is a consistent winner, has developed multiple quarterbacks (Vernon Adams, Gabe Gubrud) and has performed well against PAC-12 schools. This year EWU has 2 of the 3 finalists for the Walter Player Award (FCS Heisman). They won the FCS championship back in 2010. He is young, recruits well and develops that talent. I gained a lot of respect for him last year when he ran down the sidelines to reprimand the player who took a cheap shot at Vernon Adams and then was taunting the crowd after he was ejected. For my job, I have to meet with a lot of the coaches in the area from WSU and EWU and everyone who I have talked to about Beau says he is a really good coach who will eventually move up to FBS and do well. I know it is harder to compete every week in the PAC-12 compared to the Big Sky conference, but I think he would be a good hire.
snapt
Four Star Recruit

Post by snapt »

Ken Norton Jr would be an interesting hire.
BOOF it!
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

snapt wrote:Ken Norton Jr would be an interesting hire.
Doubt they could get Laurence Fishburne's long lost brother back to college.
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

Mike Leach
John 3:36
Duck24
Senior

Post by Duck24 »

QuackininBama wrote:Although this name has actually been mentioned, I'll go with Greg Schiano. Not MY choice, I'm a Chip or Fleck guy, just throwing it out there since Knight is close to the Ohio State program and word is guy is the real deal.
From "Men of Oregon" to "Schiano Men".

Where is the intense vomiting while bawling hysterically and hyperventilating emoji?
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

QuackininBama wrote:Although this name has actually been mentioned, I'll go with Greg Schiano. Not MY choice, I'm a Chip or Fleck guy, just throwing it out there since Knight is close to the Ohio State program and word is guy is the real deal.

Cheater! He is probably the front runner, not off the wall. I'm betting he already has the job. Not one of my top picks on or off the wall, but there is a huge give away that he may already have the job.
bdkipe
Two Star Recruit

Post by bdkipe »

Here's an out of the box name:

How about Coach Eric Taylor of the Pemberton High School Pioneers in Philadelphia, PA?

Pros: Recruiting - Knows the talent-laden and fertile Texas HS culture as the former head coach of the Dillon Panthers and East Dillon Lions.

Pros: Championship experience - Led both the Panthers and the Lions to Texas big-school state championships in 2006 and 2010, respectively.

Pros: College Coaching Experience - Was briefly QB coach at Texas Methodist University for 1/2 of the 2007 Season before resigning and returning to Dillon out of family hardship.

Cons: Unproven Staff - The Pemberton High School RB Coach from 2014-present is one of Coach Taylor's former players at Dillon HS, Tim Riggins (Class of 2008). Riggins has a long history of run-ins with law enforcement and may not pass the background check required by the NCAA Clearinghouse. There are also unsubstantiated rumors that he has several children out of wedlock and is a raging alcoholic.

Cons: Relationships with shady boosters - Taylor is close friends with legendary Texas High School Booster, former auto dealer and current bar owner Buddy Garrity, Sr.
duckfan22
Senior

Post by duckfan22 »

bdkipe wrote:Here's an out of the box name:

How about Coach Eric Taylor of the Pemberton High School Pioneers in Philadelphia, PA?

Pros: Recruiting - Knows the talent-laden and fertile Texas HS culture as the former head coach of the Dillon Panthers and East Dillon Lions.

Pros: Championship experience - Led both the Panthers and the Lions to Texas big-school state championships in 2006 and 2010, respectively.

Pros: College Coaching Experience - Was briefly QB coach at Texas Methodist University for 1/2 of the 2007 Season before resigning and returning to Dillon out of family hardship.

Cons: Unproven Staff - The Pemberton High School RB Coach from 2014-present is one of Coach Taylor's former players at Dillon HS, Tim Riggins (Class of 2008). Riggins has a long history of run-ins with law enforcement and may not pass the background check required by the NCAA Clearinghouse. There are also unsubstantiated rumors that he has several children out of wedlock and is a raging alcoholic.

Cons: Relationships with shady boosters - Taylor is close friends with legendary Texas High School Booster, former auto dealer and current bar owner Buddy Garrity, Sr.
you just might win this one......lol
DuckMastaFunk
Five Star Recruit

Post by DuckMastaFunk »

snapt wrote:Ken Norton Jr would be an interesting hire.
I agree! You know he could solve our LB problem.
TualatinDuck
Senior

Post by TualatinDuck »

Ill preface this with all I have heard is that its a BIG name from a former player.

Urban Meyer
"And I can be the warrior for those who are frail and weak,
And I can be the compass for those that search and seek." ~Lem Absher