Two Star Recruit

What is our brand identity? We all know it

Post by bdkipe »

Oregon Duck Football is:

- unconventional
- forward-thinking operation
- something different for recruits who want to stand out
- relentless improvement
- a giant middle finger to tradition (as in traditional powers and "this is how it's always done")
- focus on our strengths to not worry about our weaknesses (geography, lack of DI talent in state)
- cutting-edge
- fast moving, never saying still

Nike has fingerprints and philosophy all over Oregon from about 1995-current.

Nike didn't get to be the best damn sportswear company in the land by hirig a bunch of 50yr old white dudes in 3-piece suits to run their business. They embraced employees and leaders who lived their vision and embodied their spirit.

That is why I want Fleck or Taggart. I want young and I want "NEXT". I don't want a stodgy old retread like a Schiano.

Go watch video of PJ Fleck. It's all over YouYube.

Two freshman commit armed robbery before the season and he straight up boots them. Then, he gets in front of the camera and says, "It's my fault. I recruited them, I didn't do my due diligence, it is 100% my fault for bringing them, endangering the folks they hurt here and they have been immediately dismissed for their actions." What coach takes accountability like that?

Is "Row The Boat" cheesy? Maybe. Our opponents made fun of "Win The Day" too. But football is a game played by large, fast-moving, agressive, 200+ men. Those men get hurt, those men get beat up, those men need to sometimes find that extra fire inside them to get off the mat and play for each other and to perservere in times of adversity. If we have a coach who reaches them on that level, I don't care how cheesy he is.

We are NIKE. Love it or leave it, we are Nike's baby, and we always will be. Just like Maryland is Under Armour's baby. PJ Fleck SCREAMS different, outside the box, energetic, cutting edge and oh-by-the-way...NFL scouts have come around WMU's campus and have said on record he is one of the most detail oriented and organized coaches they have ever seen at any level.

Ladies and Gents, we need a coach that fits our brand. Fits what we want to be. Take our nabes to the north. What is Covallis and what do they aspire to be? Tough, blue-collar, family, love and they'll hit you in the mouth. Andersen is a perfect match fro what they want to be.

We need a coach to fit our brand. Brash, cocky, cutting edge (Chip was & Fleck is), knows how to use media for good or bad (Chip spars and charms and Fleck charms) and one who makes the players know they will get a foot in the ass should they screw up (Chip/Fleck) and a hug if times are tough (Chip/Fleck).

PS - PJ Fleck lives and breathes "Water The Bambo" and loves himself some Pre...dude will be right at home in the Eug!

Next year I want to see the Duck rowing out of the tunnel a la WSU game in 2015.

#mymancrushcontinues
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Re: What is our brand identity? We all know it

Post by pezsez1 »

PS - PJ Fleck lives and breathes "Water The Bambo" and loves himself some Pre...dude will be right at home in the Eug!
Honestly, I was kind of sold on him when I watched one of those videos and saw that he's a runner. I'm excited to have a coach who is in good enough shape that he could jump into practice. That's something I can relate to.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
UofO8
Senior

Post by UofO8 »

Yeah, I will honestly be pretty disappointed at this point if its not him over anyone else (except chip) I think he is exactly the fire and energy that this program needs right now.
Honestly, I was kind of sold on him when I watched one of those videos and saw that he's a runner. I'm excited to have a coach who is in good enough shape that he could jump into practice. That's something I can relate to.
He actually does jump into practice! lol you can find some vids of WMU practicing and he sometimes jumps in with the players.
vegasdom
Three Star Recruit

Post by vegasdom »

I like Fleck, not sure he is good for Oregon. How is row-the-boat going to work in recruiting top talent? Seems to me he recruiting plan is taking kids away from the Big Ten bottom feeders.
bdkipe
Two Star Recruit

Post by bdkipe »

For me, my mancrush started with:

- hearing about his quoting Pre and "watering the bamboo"
- talking about how the death of his son makes him live for others and live for service
- openly talking with his players about his failed marriage to let them know it's ok to fail and it's ok to live life on life's terms
- watching him play catch with his sons after practice and his kid's dialed in baseball swing

Let's row the boat with my dream staff:

- PJ Fleck, HC
- Schiano, DC
- Mike Sanford, OC
- David Yost, QB
- LaMike James, RB Coach
- Matt Lubick, WR & Passing Game Coordinator
- Steve Greatwod, OL & Running Game Coordinator
- Brady Hoke, DL Coach
- LB Coach = whomever PJ wants
- Matt Harper, DB Coach
- Tommy Oz, ST & TE's
UofO8
Senior

Post by UofO8 »

vegasdom wrote:I like Fleck, not sure he is good for Oregon. How is row-the-boat going to work in recruiting top talent? Seems to me he recruiting plan is taking kids away from the Big Ten bottom feeders.
It won't and WMU owns the rights to "row the boat" anyways but that slogan isn't the point. He's super personable, energetic and from pretty much all accounts, people love him. He's had the #1 recruiting class in his conference for 3 years in a row.
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

What will his slogan be at Oregon if WMU owns row the boat?
UofO8
Senior

Post by UofO8 »

dthomas=ddixon wrote:What will his slogan be at Oregon if WMU owns row the boat?

Who knows, but the guy is clearly very big on culture and getting everyone to buy in and we desperately need that right now. As for recruiting, I'll also add that from what I hear, parents love the guy and that's one of the biggest things in recruiting.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

bdkipe wrote:For me, my mancrush started with:

- hearing about his quoting Pre and "watering the bamboo"
- talking about how the death of his son makes him live for others and live for service
- openly talking with his players about his failed marriage to let them know it's ok to fail and it's ok to live life on life's terms
- watching him play catch with his sons after practice and his kid's dialed in baseball swing

Let's row the boat with my dream staff:

- PJ Fleck, HC
- Schiano, DC
- Mike Sanford, OC
- David Yost, QB
- LaMike James, RB Coach
- Matt Lubick, WR & Passing Game Coordinator
- Steve Greatwod, OL & Running Game Coordinator
- Brady Hoke, DL Coach
- LB Coach = whomever PJ wants
- Matt Harper, DB Coach
- Tommy Oz, ST & TE's
Loved LMJ the player, but LMJ the coach at UO will never ever happen.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

vegasdom wrote:I like Fleck, not sure he is good for Oregon. How is row-the-boat going to work in recruiting top talent? Seems to me he recruiting plan is taking kids away from the Big Ten bottom feeders.
Kind of the same way people wondered if Peterson could recruit in the PAC?
UofDuck
Senior

Post by UofDuck »

bdkipe wrote:Oregon Duck Football is:

- unconventional
- relentless improvement
- a giant middle finger to tradition (as in traditional powers and "this is how it's always done")
- focus on our strengths to not worry about our weaknesses (geography, lack of DI talent in state)
- cutting-edge

Nike didn't get to be the best damn sportswear company in the land by hirig a bunch of 50yr old white dudes in 3-piece suits to run their business. They embraced employees and leaders who lived their vision and embodied their spirit.

That is why I want Fleck or Taggart. I want young and I want "NEXT". I don't want a stodgy old retread like a Schiano.

Two freshman commit armed robbery before the season and he straight up boots them. Then, he gets in front of the camera and says, "It's my fault. I recruited them, I didn't do my due diligence, it is 100% my fault for bringing them, endangering the folks they hurt here and they have been immediately dismissed for their actions." What coach takes accountability like that?

Is "Row The Boat" cheesy? Maybe. Our opponents made fun of "Win The Day" too. But football is a game played by large, fast-moving, agressive, 200+ men. Those men get hurt, those men get beat up, those men need to sometimes find that extra fire inside them to get off the mat and play for each other and to perservere in times of adversity. If we have a coach who reaches them on that level, I don't care how cheesy he is.

We are NIKE. Love it or leave it, we are Nike's baby, and we always will be. Just like Maryland is Under Armour's baby. PJ Fleck SCREAMS different, outside the box, energetic, cutting edge and oh-by-the-way...NFL scouts have come around WMU's campus and have said on record he is one of the most detail oriented and organized coaches they have ever seen at any level.

Ladies and Gents, we need a coach that fits our brand. Fits what we want to be. Take our nabes to the north. What is Covallis and what do they aspire to be? Tough, blue-collar, family, love and they'll hit you in the mouth. Andersen is a perfect match fro what they want to be.

We need a coach to fit our brand. Brash, cocky, cutting edge (Chip was & Fleck is), knows how to use media for good or bad (Chip spars and charms and Fleck charms) and one who makes the players know they will get a foot in the ass should they screw up (Chip/Fleck) and a hug if times are tough (Chip/Fleck).

Next year I want to see the Duck rowing out of the tunnel a la WSU game in 2015.

#mymancrushcontinues
Yeah, a guy that's having one great season with a senior laden Western Michigan MAC team is clearly a better pick than 50+ year-old stodgy white guys. Altman, Sabin, Peterson, Bellachek, Meyer... you know, those boring old types of guys are not who we want. I find it interesting how many people think Fleck is undeniably the guy. He might be, but the sample size is so small and not very comparable to a P5 program demands. I'm surprised how many people "know" he's the guy. I'll give it to Fleck, apparently he really knows how to sell folks.
wlduck
Sophomore

Post by wlduck »

bdkipe wrote:Oregon Duck Football is:

- unconventional
- relentless improvement
- cutting-edge

#mymancrushcontinues
Bingo. My only concern- and it's a small one- is will he look at this as a stop or a destination? If he is successful enough to move on to something bigger, at least that means he left it in better shape than he found it.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

Win The Boat By Rowing Daily 100 #NeverHuskies #MOGA
Cedar Tree
Three Star Recruit

Post by Cedar Tree »

UofDuck wrote:Yeah, a guy that's having one great season with a senior laden Western Michigan MAC team is clearly a better pick than 50+ year-old stodgy white guys. Altman, Sabin, Peterson, Bellachek, Meyer... you know, those boring old types of guys are not who we want. I find it interesting how many people think Fleck is undeniably the guy. He might be, but the sample size is so small and not very comparable to a P5 program demands. I'm surprised how many people "know" he's the guy. I'll give it to Fleck, apparently he really knows how to sell folks.
So who would you like to see become Oregon's next coach? Because there's about a 0.001% chance the Ducks are going to get any of those names you listed.
gofightingducks
All Pac-12

Post by gofightingducks »

Fleck is the kind of coach/mentor/motivator/leader the Ducks need, he is tough, he has energy and passion. he would do just fine with recruiting at this level, the guy is a salesman, he is not only a football coach but a life coach, parents love that, the kids love that. He is like Helfrich in that he deeply cares for the kids but is energetic, vocal, no nonsense, I think his leadership is passed along to the players so unlike this year's Ducks team, there will be a lot of leaders on his teams. He seems like he and his family would be a good fit in Eugene so he very well could be at Oregon for the long haul. A lot of people didn't think Petersen would do well at this level when he left Boise State, a lot of people didn't think Urban Meyer would do well after Bowling Green and then Utah for only two seasons, there are coaches that got it and can succeed at any level, or at least any college level and I think with his passion and excitement, his knowledge and leadership he is that type. It may take 2-3 years to re-build but if he is in it for the long haul Oregon could be better than the Chip years.