ESPN reporting Taggart as Head coach

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

soduck
Four Star Recruit

ESPN reporting Taggart as Head coach

Post by soduck »

I am sorry and I would have definitely given Helfrich another year. But once a Duck Always a Duck! Chip screwed over the program and Mullen for taking so long. Not easy to turn down Phil obviously. But this is not the big splash we had hope for. Taggart will be good, hopefully great some day. But now we are so late for recruiting, but lets hope it is like Altman's hire. We shoot for the moon and then say why did it take so long to hire him, but then each year we have improved with Altman and now he was showing he was the perfect hire for Oregon long term. I would rather have Chip for two years and a ship and have him leave again. I don't fault KOD or OregonFan4Life. They had good information, obviously Chip backed out again, twice in a week.
Duckenstein
Freshman

Re: ESPN reporting Taggart as Head coach

Post by Duckenstein »

Where are you seeing this?

If this is true, welcome to mediocrity.
soduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by soduck »

On ESPN now.
Penky26
Four Star Recruit

Post by Penky26 »

ill be honest, as much as I hated the direction Helfrich was going in, i would have kept him over this whole process.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

soduck wrote:I am sorry and I would have definitely given Helfrich another year. But once a Duck Always a Duck! Chip screwed over the program and Mullen for taking so long. Not easy to turn down Phil obviously. But this is not the big splash we had hope for. Taggart will be good, hopefully great some day. But now we are so late for recruiting, but lets hope it is like Altman's hire. We shoot for the moon and then say why did it take so long to hire him, but then each year we have improved with him and now it is showing he was the perfect hire for Oregon long term. I would rather have Chip for two years and a ship and have had him leave again. I don't fault KOD or OregonFan4Life. They had good information, obviously Chip backed out again, twice in a week.
The Altman comparison is all we can hope for, except that Altman had sustained success before he ever got to Oregon. The Taggart option feels like desperation.

I don't think our resident purveyors of rumors had any idea what they were talking about, but it was still fun to dream, just like it has been fun over the last decade or so to dream of a football championship. Now comes the reality.
Penky26
Four Star Recruit

Post by Penky26 »

This search was so poorly handled. Now we are left with a coach that is on par with Mark but with less recruits
Duckenstein
Freshman

Post by Duckenstein »

Penky26 wrote:ill be honest, as much as I hated the direction Helfrich was going in, i would have kept him over this whole process.
I cannot believe id say it, but I'd rewind back to Helf.

This is insane, they blew up recruiting, the whole staff, to hire some two bit no name with a losing record.

It's done guys. Taggart isn't competing for conf chpions against Chris Peterson. Laughingstock of the conference.
Penky26
Four Star Recruit

Post by Penky26 »

honestly wish i didnt have internet access last night because i went to bed 100% convinced i would be having a Chip Kelly reunion today
Sooth
Four Star Recruit

Post by Sooth »

Well, he does wear a visor - so close enough. If you squint you can barely tell the difference.
soduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by soduck »

The rumors came from Mullen himself it sounds like. Chip is the one to be mad at. I would rather have insiders give us the best information they can get, then not tell us anything. But this is disappointing, but hopefully the right move long term. I wish we had a little more luck this season and have 3 more wins and still have Helfrich. Colorado and Nebraska, were good teams this year and we should have beaten them, Cal not so, OSU sucked too and definitely that loss was the final game / nail in Helfrich's coffin. For all those that wanted Helfrich gone, watch out what you wish for. I was wavering until the OSU loss, which put me over to the fire Helfrich camp. But I always wanted to know, but who are we going to replace him with. Now we know and I am disappointed. But once a Duck Always a Duck.
Duck24
Senior

Post by Duck24 »

Trying to get behind this. From this SB Nation profile of him.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-footbal ... th-florida

Trailing 41-31 with under three minutes left, UCF faced fourth-and-16 from its own 10-yard line. UCF head coach Frost elected to go for it, as one would. USF sacked Justin Holman and took possession with 1:44 remaining. The game was effectively done.

Instead, Taggart called a run play. Then two more. And on fourth-and-goal with 11 seconds left and up by 10, another one.

And so running back D’Erne Johnson punched a 17-point lead at almost the same time South Florida’s players discovered the replica Interstate sign from the War On I-4 trophy could be unsheathed from its wooden base. They thus began taking turns playing the pewter road marker like a guitar.

“Scott told me after the game he respected our team, but he’d remember that last touchdown,” Taggart said. “I told him, ‘Me too. I’ll remember it.’”

After 12 weeks outside of national polls, USF finished 10-2 for the first time in program history, and while opposing players from hometowns statewide tangled and hollered in big hugs, Taggart was held back by assistants while arguing with a Knights assistant upset about Johnson’s touchdown.

“They’re a good team, probably going to be a great team, but we’re fighting right now. We’re fighting to be recognized. We’re fighting to be ranked. We’re fighting for the attention these players deserve,” Taggart said after the game.

“Our motto is, if you try to score on us, we’ll score on you. If you punt, we’ll take a knee.”
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Since Helfrich was probably the worst coach in the PAC 12, I'd bet Willie is an improvement. That said welcome to 7-8 wins every year, and hoping we beat UW every 4 years.
Duck24
Senior

Post by Duck24 »

Hoping he made some serious in roads recruiting on the west coast during his two years at Stanford...
jimmy12
Senior

Post by jimmy12 »

He's going to be a lot Tougher than Helf that is for sure. No more "a million little things" to coach up and teach better. Helf even used that phrase when asked by Russillo and Kannell after he got the boot. It made me cringe. Hopefully we can keep Brady Hoke. He did a lot this year.
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

Duck24 wrote:Hoping he made some serious in roads recruiting on the west coast during his two years at Stanford...

Actually, Taggart not only has recruiting ties in California, but also over much of the south - including Florida.

I have no doubt that he can coach. He's proven that by rebuilding Western Kentucky and USF. He's also considered to be a good recruiter. Still, regardless of those facts, it's going to take time to rebuild the defense both from a talent and depth standpoint. We need help across the board on that side of the ball.

Our offense should be very good right away.

We may have a couple 8-4/9-3 seasons before we get the players recruited and developed needed to succeed. Rebuilding the defense will take some time no matter who's at the helm.

Thankfully, from a scheduling standpoint we should have an advantage by avoiding USC and ASU the next two years and playing UCLA and Arizona instead.
John 3:36