Freshman

Re: New Strength Coach - Irele Oderinde

Post by Duckenstein »

QB11 wrote:
buckmarkduck wrote:
Duckenstein wrote:
QB11 wrote:
greenyellow wrote:Nice to see he already has them working hard:
That's an understatement he's killing them lol. Beating the softness out of them, his workouts are really hard players are having a hard time adjusting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tell me more..

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

JHop tweeted that a few players passed out the first day.
Yeah and it got harder day two and three. The kids are getting a rude wake up call. Lots of puking. I think you're going to see an evolution in the Oregon football body over the next couple years. Things are a lot more intense than when Rad runs a workout. I love Rad by the way I just think this is the right move.

Rad was great but we need to get strong

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

And Rad is still a top level coach for track workouts
Groundswell
Four Star Recruit

Post by Groundswell »

dwysywd wrote:This is actually sad that at this level, they are so out of shape. #newday
I'm sure most the kids were having a good time over the holidays. Probably fell out of shape quite a bit. I'm sure the workouts are tough, but tougher because the players have been "off" going on two months.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

ifuwant2 wrote:
dwysywd wrote:This is actually sad that at this level, they are so out of shape. #newday
I'm sure most the kids were having a good time over the holidays. Probably fell out of shape quite a bit. I'm sure the workouts are tough, but tougher because the players have been "off" going on two months.
I think that's probably the biggest difference than most other off-seasons. Usually Oregon has been coming off bowl practices and a bowl game so the players weren't too far out of game shape by the time winter workouts started.
dwysywd
One Star Recruit

Post by dwysywd »

greenyellow wrote:
ifuwant2 wrote:
I think that's probably the biggest difference than most other off-seasons. Usually Oregon has been coming off bowl practices and a bowl game so the players weren't too far out of game shape by the time winter workouts started.
Ah, guess I didn't realize they weren't doing much and passing out was normal. No sarcasm intended.
"Let your dreams be bigger than your fears and your actions be louder than your words" - Willie Taggart
Groundswell
Four Star Recruit

Post by Groundswell »

Passing out is not normal. I'd be surprised if more than one kid actually passed out. My guess is that's hyperbole. Puking is normal for kids who've been partying and eating all Holiday season.

PS. I've seen dudes pass out at the gym when pushing themselves on multiple reps with heavy weights. Blood rushing pass outs.
debtfree9
High School Drop Out

Post by debtfree9 »

Throwing up because of partying does not surprise me. These guys will also learn fast, to eat right before and after workouts so they aren't so depleted. Heck, I had to learn the same thing. Do it right or pay a price.
scoducks
Three Star Recruit

Post by scoducks »

Coach Rad was great coach and all, but I think it was a great time for a change. When I think of Rad I think of plyometrics and speed and agility. I think it is a great thing coach O is changing it up and adding more strength into the program. Plus making it more intense to wake up the players that slacking is no longer accepted in the program.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Let's not forget, the Oregonian article said lots of guys weren't working hard in the weight room. If you go from half assing it, to giving 110%, you can definitely pass out or puke. And it doesn't have to be because guys party to much, or ate to much over the holidays.
Groundswell
Four Star Recruit

Post by Groundswell »

buckmarkduck wrote:Let's not forget, the Oregonian article said lots of guys weren't working hard in the weight room. If you go from half assing it, to giving 110%, you can definitely pass out or puke. And it doesn't have to be because guys party to much, or ate to much over the holidays.
Sure. But being off for a couple months compounds the issue. Here's a question for you folks in the know: can a strength and conditioning coach sit in on every workout? Or is he bound by the same limitations as on-field coaches?
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Were they really just sitting around since the coaches got fired though? I'd expect that wasn't the case.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

buckmarkduck wrote:Were they really just sitting around since the coaches got fired though? I'd expect that wasn't the case.
I'm sure they were doing some basic stuff with Rad but probably nothing like what they're doing now.
Groundswell
Four Star Recruit

Post by Groundswell »

buckmarkduck wrote:Were they really just sitting around since the coaches got fired though? I'd expect that wasn't the case.
Not sitting around, though I'm sure some were. But they were at home for about a month. I'm sure they were hitting local gyms and whatnot. But very few kids have the discipline to nail a tough workout without someone looking over their shoulders.

Have you known college athletes? Some work hard all the time. Some work hard part of the time. Some take time completely off when they aren't forced to work. It's a grind, and many kids are glad to forget about football for a few weeks.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

ifuwant2 wrote:Passing out is not normal. I'd be surprised if more than one kid actually passed out. My guess is that's hyperbole. Puking is normal for kids who've been partying and eating all Holiday season.

PS. I've seen dudes pass out at the gym when pushing themselves on multiple reps with heavy weights. Blood rushing pass outs.

Spot on post, maybe one kid passed out. One kid passes out coach will shut it down. I seen plenty of players puke early season, never one pass out. So maybe one kid passes out and the story by it hits the internet is "kids were passing out".
duckduckgoose
Five Star Recruit

Post by duckduckgoose »

ifuwant2 wrote:
Not sitting around, though I'm sure some were. But they were at home for about a month. I'm sure they were hitting local gyms and whatnot. But very few kids have the discipline to nail a tough workout without someone looking over their shoulders.

Have you known college athletes? Some work hard all the time. Some work hard part of the time. Some take time completely off when they aren't forced to work. It's a grind, and many kids are glad to forget about football for a fewer to l weeks.
This is just one more reason Helfrich had to go. I used to love that the Ducks were the better conditioned team, wearing down the opponent in the second half of games and imposing their will on the other team. I thought that the difference was attributed to a more pass oriented offense, which slows down the games (incomplete passes allowing substitutions etc.). But it sounds like it can be attributed to a systemic change in attitude about conditioning alluded to in the Oregonian article the other day. Sounds like coach WT is just what the doctor is ordered! Here's to more Cal faking injuries to slow down the juggernaut in the near future!!