Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Greenblood
Senior

Heyward officially added as Safeties Coach

Post by Greenblood »

greenyellow

Re: Heyward officially added as Safeties Coach

Post by greenyellow »

Hopefully this means they're getting close to working out the details on the remaining staff. I think the weather causing the school and athletic department to be closed multiple days has been a big culprit in the delay.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Him and Clark should be a fun combo at DB.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
jefflockie
One Star Recruit

Post by jefflockie »

Obviously I am no D1 coach but it seems odd to have two DB coaches. I wonder if WT thought our DBs are "hard cases" and needed extreme intervention.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

jefflockie wrote:Obviously I am no D1 coach but it seems odd to have two DB coaches. I wonder if WT thought our DBs are "hard cases" and needed extreme intervention.
I think it's just what makes Leavitt feel comfortable. Plus, with him also coaching LBs, it allows another defensive staff member to be added. When you can add someone like Heyward, it's great to have that flexibility.
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

I thought it was strange first initially, but apparently it's more common than it seems.
Hoagduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by Hoagduck »

Didn't the NCAA just approve teams adding an extra coach? I imagine having a CB and a Safety coach as two separate jobs will become more common.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RunLMJ
High School Drop Out

Post by RunLMJ »

I think Leavitt probably wanted his guy Clark from colorado to come over with him, knowing he's a great db coach. And I think Taggart was looking for a coach known as a great recruiter, with strong west coast ties, which is definitely Heyward. I was hoping we would get one of those two to coach our db's, and willie got both. Very impressive.
DuckedOut
Three Star Recruit

Post by DuckedOut »

Hoagduck wrote:Didn't the NCAA just approve teams adding an extra coach? I imagine having a CB and a Safety coach as two separate jobs will become more common.

If I remember right, they'll approve adding an extra coach sometime this spring during an NCAA meeting or something.

and having two separate DB coaches is something that Leavitt did at Colorado and apparently likes to do. Plus, it's not like they'll only coach their specific positions. Both guys have coached entire secondaries before, they'll help each other out.
Hoagduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by Hoagduck »

That makes sense. I forgot that Leavitt was his own LB coach, so that's where the extra coach comes from.