How much did expectations increase with the new staff?

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

brich75
Senior

Re: How much did expectations increase with the new staff?

Post by brich75 »

I think 3-4 years is when we get powerhouse again. He needs time to get his recruits and get them in the program a couple years
Cedar Tree
Three Star Recruit

Post by Cedar Tree »

Offensively we should be fine, so it all depends on the defense. The new defensive coaches have their work cut out for them.

My guess is they'll be better than the last two years, but still surrender more yards and points than most teams. I'll predict 7-5.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

brich75 wrote:I think 3-4 years is when we get powerhouse again. He needs time to get his recruits and get them in the program a couple years
Like Cedar Tree said, on defense I agree. Offensively, the talent is still there and the recruiting shouldn't miss a beat. And Leavitt turned around a pretty bad Colorado offense to be really good in just two seasons.

I'm actually pretty optimistic about being a Pac-12 title contender after next year.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
chipkellysballs
Two Star Recruit

Post by chipkellysballs »

Part of it is I just don't see 5 teams on the schedule that can beat the Ducks with an improved defense and steamrolling offense. Not playing USC and Colorado helps.
rsbgduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by rsbgduck »

I'm with the majority of the responses of 7-8 wins and a bowl game WIN. Before the recent coaching acquisitions I was hoping for 7 wins and a bowl appearance. I think our lack of depth will determine what our W/L looks like. If the injury bug doesn't hit our Ducks I can see a 9-10 win season, if it does then I can see being thankful for a 6-7 win season. WT has been given the keys along with a healthy budget to win now.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

I think we can win eight games easy. Heck, we were a few plays away from winning eight games last year with a craptastic defense and a so-so offense.

Lots of people here say that talent wasn't the big issue last year. If that's true, then I'm going to go out on a limb and say we're capable of winning 10 games.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
duckfan22
Senior

Post by duckfan22 »

the key for my expectations is the defense. Can he get a couple more LB that can play right away and
can Leavitt get them schooled in the 3-4 intime. Offense i expect the o-line to be improved with Cristabol
in charge there. We have the weapons on offense. Can Oregons corners learn to press instead of drop back
30 yards...But for me another big key is will everyone under the last staff buy into Willie and new staff.
He has to comand the locker room. Sounds like he will...A good sign is The guys who could have turned
pro are coming back. That says a lot. So im going out on a limb here and say 9 wins. Oregon has baring injury
enough to compete and if they get some recruits that play right away just an added bonus.
briarduck
Senior

Post by briarduck »

I agree with the majority here, 7-8 Wins sounds about right but more importantly I want to see our players play with fire and energy because it's not winning that's makes you route for your team it's how your teams play. Last year was so difficult because players quit, coaches did a poor job and the team had no accountability and they played like it! It was very difficult to watch. So I look forward to seeing us play like we care...and this new stuff appears to able to make that happen, can't wait!

GO DUCKS!!
GO DUCKS!! WTD!
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

Because of the amount of talent, 9 wins.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Cristobal and Salave'a have their work cut out for them. They've got starters, but they're both an injury or two from having to look into the stands for depth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

StevensTechU wrote:Cristobal and Salave'a have their work cut out for them. They've got starters, but they're both an injury or two from having to look into the stands for depth.

I don't agree with the OL at all. The older guys have been disappointing but they are solid depth guys.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Phenom wrote:
StevensTechU wrote:Cristobal and Salave'a have their work cut out for them. They've got starters, but they're both an injury or two from having to look into the stands for depth.

I don't agree with the OL at all. The older guys have been disappointing but they are solid depth guys.
I'm thinking there's no one behind Hanson at center, and there's only 3 tackles who are ready to play.

GoDucksIn09
Senior

Post by GoDucksIn09 »

I think 7 wins maybe. The defense is horrible and going to take more than one year to fix. The hires are all good on paper but we need to see how they work together when start losing and see how the chemistry is. The Yankees have the top pay roll in baseball and they go out and seriously pay players to come there. Despite all the money they have shelled out... they still not won a pennant in nearly a decade. My point being is it takes more than just a bunch of superstars to win... it takes chemistry as well as great coaching. Oregon looks like might have the great coaching... do they have the chemistry?
wlduck
Sophomore

Post by wlduck »

pezsez1 wrote:I think we can win eight games easy. Heck, we were a few plays away from winning eight games last year with a craptastic defense and a so-so offense.

Lots of people here say that talent wasn't the big issue last year. If that's true, then I'm going to go out on a limb and say we're capable of winning 10 games.
I actually agree with this. I guess it depends on whether our defensive issues were more because of a lack of talent or poor scheme and coaching. Probably some of both, but between the schedule and our offense I think we could win 10.
laxattack22
One Star Recruit

Post by laxattack22 »

GoDucksIn09 wrote:I think 7 wins maybe. The defense is horrible and going to take more than one year to fix. The hires are all good on paper but we need to see how they work together when start losing and see how the chemistry is. The Yankees have the top pay roll in baseball and they go out and seriously pay players to come there. Despite all the money they have shelled out... they still not won a pennant in nearly a decade. My point being is it takes more than just a bunch of superstars to win... it takes chemistry as well as great coaching. Oregon looks like might have the great coaching... do they have the chemistry?

Couldn't agree more about chemistry being key. If ALL returning players buy into the new offensive and defensive systems, and the injury bug does not hit certain positions I think 8-9 wins would be best case. If key injuries hit, and if leadership does not emerge am thinking 5-6 wins. Best guess ~ 7-8 wins in '17.