How much did expectations increase with the new staff?

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

OregonDonor
Two Star Recruit

Re: How much did expectations increase with the new staff?

Post by OregonDonor »

duckfbfan15 wrote:Agree with KOD. 8-4 is the baseline and where my expectations are. Year two we should be back to 10 wins. Anything more than 8 wins next season is gravy. Just excited that this team is on the bounce back and it shouldn't take long. 8 wins would mean doubling the win total and that is definitely realistic. Also, hope the Defense rises into the 80's or so and they should hit that 8 win mark.
7-5 or 8-4 is what I was thinking before any assistants were hired. 5 losses would be a little disappointing now. There are a lot of holes on defense but what we have coming back on the offensive line, Justin Herbert and with all the skill position guys, I expect at least eight wins with these coaches.

I think it's important to keep in mind that last year's team was much better than a 4-8 team. They should have won at least seven or eight games.

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk
Formerly LetMeSeeYourO
Duckattack7
Five Star Recruit

Post by Duckattack7 »

Honestly with all the weapons on offense and Udub Stanford losing key players I think we can compete for the PAC title year 1. I think the following year might be down losing our offensive stars. Just all depends on defense. If we are as bad as last year on d then 7-8 because we lost 2 games by 3 and Helf lost the team. We don't need a top 20 D to win games I think top 60-80 and and good 3rd down D and we are competing! I know maybe I am a forever homer but I like our chances next year.
Return Of the Quack!
Groundswell
Four Star Recruit

Post by Groundswell »

OregonDonor wrote:I think it's important to keep in mind that last year's team was much better than a 4-8 team. They should have won at least seven or eight games.

Always enjoy and appreciate your posts, so I'm not picking on you because I often seen this opinion brought up. I totally disagree. At no point last year at any time did we look or appear in any way to be an 8 win team. Not on the field. We were always a poorly coached, young team, with a ton of question marks. We were a 4-8 team all season long. Just because we played Nebraska and Colorado close doesn't make us anything but what we exactly were. Sure you can say "if" we didn't have injuries, and "if" we didn't have so many off-field issues, and "if" Dakota Prukop had lived up to expectations. But we were way too "iffy" from the start.
desertfan
Three Star Recruit

Post by desertfan »

I'm still keeping my hopes and expectations for year one of the Taggart era relativity low, so 6 wins and a bowl trip is all I am hoping for in year one. I think we have a lot of problems on defense that will take more then one season to fix. I also think that there is gonna be an adjustment period for Willie Taggart going from the American to the Pac 12 Conference, especially as the playcaller. A couple of years in when we start to see some of the athletes that this coaching staff recruited take over, that's when I'll expect us to start competing for the conference title and potential playoff births. Short-term I mainly just want to see this team compete better under Taggart and show some better mental toughness. I don't want to see the team quit and roll over with the ease that last years team did the second things were stacked against them.
UofDuck
Senior

Post by UofDuck »

Reset of the streak. Total Husky melt down.
Sir-1
One Star Recruit

Post by Sir-1 »

I expect 8-9 wins in year one and 10+ wins in year 2. I think we are competitive in every game next year.

I have a ton of confidence in this staff. I believe we have talent, especially on offense, and underachieved last year due to lack of discipline and accountability. I think the discipline and accountability will be fixed with this new staff and we will see the talent we have preform much better.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

I'm hoping that even with our lack of depth that we can manage to go to and win a bowl game. The old injury bug might just decide our season next year. Year two of the WT regime will tell us what we need to know about the direction of this team.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
OregonDonor
Two Star Recruit

Post by OregonDonor »

ifuwant2 wrote:
OregonDonor wrote:I think it's important to keep in mind that last year's team was much better than a 4-8 team. They should have won at least seven or eight games.

Always enjoy and appreciate your posts, so I'm not picking on you because I often seen this opinion brought up. I totally disagree. At no point last year at any time did we look or appear in any way to be an 8 win team. Not on the field. We were always a poorly coached, young team, with a ton of question marks. We were a 4-8 team all season long. Just because we played Nebraska and Colorado close doesn't make us anything but what we exactly were. Sure you can say "if" we didn't have injuries, and "if" we didn't have so many off-field issues, and "if" Dakota Prukop had lived up to expectations. But we were way too "iffy" from the start.
No, I'm saying the potential was there. With fewer injuries and a staff like we have now that same team easily could have won 7-8 games.

Even with everything we had going against us last year, we should have beat Nebraska, Colorado and Oregon State. That's 7 wins. Beat Cal and that's 8.

Formerly LetMeSeeYourO
dwysywd
One Star Recruit

Post by dwysywd »

As long as we beat the puppies, I'm good with any record, it is a complete rebuild after all. Now, 2018 is a different story. Expectations are high.
"Let your dreams be bigger than your fears and your actions be louder than your words" - Willie Taggart
Bigducker
Freshman

Post by Bigducker »

The Rodney Dangerfield Poll

I will be very disappointed NOT to get to 8-9 wins. Waaaay too much talent on offense and with some better health, more experience, quality coaching technique and getting bigger and stronger we should be around the middle of the Pac on defense.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nc ... /96119570/
Handsome Dan
Four Star Recruit

Post by Handsome Dan »

The offensive talent is there for at least 8 wins assuming the defensive is improved to "only marginally inadequate" from the 2016 incarnation, so I think that is probably the goal to feel satisfied and optimistic for the future. I don't think the program rotted enough to require multiple years of mediocrity, personally. I saw a team stumbling over itself and giving up, not one that needed total overhaul. A nice trip to the Holiday or Sun Bowl in 2017, followed by Alamo Bowl/CFP at-large contention in 2018, and potential playoff contention in 2019 seems perfectly reasonable if the coaching staff is as capable as their promise indicates.

(If someone with more knowledge about this sort of thing wants to come and tell me I'm totally off-base, I'd be all ears. I can only go by the television product, a basic understanding of the game, and the few rumors the public gets, after all.)
soduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by soduck »

I expect at least 8 wins, even this year 8 wins were reasonably possible with a little luck and a slightly better D. I think if our offense is healthy, (Royce and Crosby) and a more experienced OL , we could be significantly better, excepting we need a WR and TE to step up,(Falo.) Our defense could not have been worse last year and so we have no where to go, but to improve, depth, youth and who we finish with recruiting and if they can step up year one are question marks. I think 10 wins are possible, but road games at Udub, Stanford and Ucla, with a healthy Rosen could be tough wins. I will go with 9 -3, with bowl win, 10 wins, total. I would not have said this 2 months ago, but I am glad we lost so many games to make it easy to fire Helf. I am very impressed with Taggart , his new staff and the recruiting he has done, so far.
jimmy12
Senior

Post by jimmy12 »

Has anyone gone back and looked at our posts from last year at this time when we announced hiring Hoke? The posts are nearly identical. "Our defense can't get and worse and with a little improvement we'll be back in it." "Can we keep Hoke for more than a year before he goes to be a HC somewhere?" "The defense will definitely improve now that Pellum is gone."

My expectations are moderate. Being that we had a bottom 5 defense, we now really can't get worse. I think 7 games is realistic. The staff is MUCH better than previous years, so I am excited about the future.
TualatinDuck
Senior

Post by TualatinDuck »

Jimmy I think we are all cautiously optimistic for 2017. Right now we are still under the ether of the fantastic hires and recruiting waves the staff is making so that adds to our hopefulness.
"And I can be the warrior for those who are frail and weak,
And I can be the compass for those that search and seek." ~Lem Absher