All-American

Re: Greatwood and Pellum rumored to be going to Cal

Post by buckmarkduck »

Pellum?
LegalizeQuack
One Star Recruit

Post by LegalizeQuack »

I think Wilcox will face plant as a HC. But Greatwood would be an awesome hire on his end.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
pdxduck2013
Five Star Recruit

Post by pdxduck2013 »

I guess we now know that even with a defensive-minded head coach, their defense will still be bad. Haha.

Greatwood is a good hire. I wonder if he goes after Campbell, Osborne, or Neal?
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

I feel true I really like the Greatwood hire, he seems to be one of the only coaches that cared about what was going on. Pellum? I wish no bad on anyone but he hasn't developed the best resume in the last three years. I'm also surprised how many think Neal mailed it in since getting passed over for the DC job, I'm not saying it's not true, sure shows by the DB's play the last couple of years, I just understand mailing it in on any job.....you have a problem with your job, change it.
DuckedOut
Three Star Recruit

Post by DuckedOut »

Alan wrote:I feel true I really like the Greatwood hire, he seems to be one of the only coaches that cared about what was going on. Pellum? I wish no bad on anyone but he hasn't developed the best resume in the last three years. I'm also surprised how many think Neal mailed it in since getting passed over for the DC job, I'm not saying it's not true, sure shows by the DB's play the last couple of years, I just understand mailing it in on any job.....you have a problem with your job, change it.
I heard from more than one person that Neal was really pissed that he lost the DC job, especially to a guy who had no experience running a defense. I don't know if his attitude had a direct effect on his coaching, but it wouldn't surprise me if it did. Our secondary the last couple of years was almost laughably bad, and it wasn't like they didn't have talent back there.
Handsome Dan
Four Star Recruit

Post by Handsome Dan »

DuckedOut wrote:
Alan wrote:I feel true I really like the Greatwood hire, he seems to be one of the only coaches that cared about what was going on. Pellum? I wish no bad on anyone but he hasn't developed the best resume in the last three years. I'm also surprised how many think Neal mailed it in since getting passed over for the DC job, I'm not saying it's not true, sure shows by the DB's play the last couple of years, I just understand mailing it in on any job.....you have a problem with your job, change it.
I heard from more than one person that Neal was really pissed that he lost the DC job, especially to a guy who had no experience running a defense. I don't know if his attitude had a direct effect on his coaching, but it wouldn't surprise me if it did. Our secondary the last couple of years was almost laughably bad, and it wasn't like they didn't have talent back there.
On that note, was it ever established who or what pushed Helfrich to hire Pellum over Neal? Neal was the far more obvious candidate prior to the promotion and I don't think Helfrich would have had the impression that Pellum was a better choice, so it seems like something interfered to result in Pellum being selected. Am I wrong about Helfrich's perception of their respective coaching abilities?
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Helfrich was undoubtedly sold on the swag attitude of Pellum.
Duckenstein
Freshman

Post by Duckenstein »

Blackmail.

Pellum posseses compromising video of Mark.

Only way it makes sense.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Handsome Dan
Four Star Recruit

Post by Handsome Dan »

I suppose that means I'm not getting a serious answer?
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Handsome Dan wrote:I suppose that means I'm not getting a serious answer?
Unless someone involved in the process comes forward it's just speculation. Neal had been offered D.C. positions in the past so the only thing that comes to my mind is that Pellum sold him and Neal was probably more laid back about it. There had also been soft rumors that Neal was going to retire soon. Helfrich may have felt that DP offered the best chance at longevity.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

Helfrich may have felt that DP offered the best chance at longevity.
Boy did that backfire! :shock: :lol:
DuckedOut
Three Star Recruit

Post by DuckedOut »

It's up in the air as to why Pellum was hired and who pushed the move. Don't think anyone knows for certain.

In my opinion, Helfrich felt significant pressure (From Mullens) to hire someone from within to preserve the "Oregon way" and to save money. Getting a top tier defensive coordinator means two things, that you pay them a lot of $$$ and that the odds of them bringing in their own staff are high. The latter was a huge turnoff for the previous regime, and it impacted the Pellum hire and the Hoke hire.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

DuckedOut wrote:
It's up in the air as to why Pellum was hired and who pushed the move. Don't think anyone knows for certain.

In my opinion, Helfrich felt significant pressure (From Mullens) to hire someone from within to preserve the "Oregon way" and to save money. Getting a top tier defensive coordinator means two things, that you pay them a lot of $$$ and that the odds of them bringing in their own staff are high. The latter was a huge turnoff for the previous regime, and it impacted the Pellum hire and the Hoke hire.
I also felt Mullens was involved in the DP hire and your thoughts on saving $$$$ on DP kind of helps account for hiring A top DC like Leavitt for 1.5 mil. After two years of DP and a year of Hoke Mullens was no doubt all in on Leavitt and the cost.