2017 Depth Chart

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

pdxduck2013
Five Star Recruit

2017 Depth Chart

Post by pdxduck2013 »

ChileDuck finally updated his depth chart, with the first breakdown for next year. How do you guys think this will change before the season starts? How would you change it if you were on the coaching staff?

https://web.nmsu.edu/~ogden/oregon/depthchart.html

With the big expected incoming class of CB's (I'm assuming we get 4-5), I would probably tinker with the guys in the secondary. I would move Lovette and Griffin from CB to WR, since we're looking at having only 5 scholarship WR's (excluding incoming freshman). I would move Robinson from cornerback to safety and have him split time with Oliver. I would also move Leiato to LB.

On offense, I think the only change I would make would be to have Griffin split time between RB and WR (similar to DAT) to get him on the field more often. (And then, I would hit the recruiting trail hard on OL and LB for 2018)
TualatinDuck
Senior

Re: 2017 Depth Chart

Post by TualatinDuck »

NM!

Who were the two that got dropped due to investigation? Besides prevot.
"And I can be the warrior for those who are frail and weak,
And I can be the compass for those that search and seek." ~Lem Absher
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Chile always does a great job but he's got the defense in a 43 right now, probably because we can only guess where some guys end up. Does Justin Hollins stand up on the edge now? The thing that stands out to me is how much we needed Carrington to come back. The WRs are empty next year.

I still contend that Nelson should be playing safety. He's a marginal WR at the next level but could carve out a career as a DB imo. I will be interested in seeing how Mattingly does, seems like he and others had been improving only to take big steps back last season.
Groundswell
Four Star Recruit

Post by Groundswell »

Duck07 wrote:Chile always does a great job but he's got the defense in a 43 right now, probably because we can only guess where some guys end up. Does Justin Hollins stand up on the edge now? The thing that stands out to me is how much we needed Carrington to come back. The WRs are empty next year.

I still contend that Nelson should be playing safety. He's a marginal WR at the next level but could carve out a career as a DB imo. I will be interested in seeing how Mattingly does, seems like he and others had been improving only to take big steps back last season.
Yeah, WR really stood out to me. And I don't like the odds of DC lasting on the team. He can't have too many lives left at Oregon, and I suspect WT will be happy to send a message to the team if the kid slips up. Does DC grow up? Or does Taggart say buh-bye? DC goes about things the right way and Taggart can hold him up as proof that anybody can turn it around. He doesn't, Taggart can say nobody is bigger than the program. Win-win for Taggart. It's all up to DC now.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Duck07 wrote:Chile always does a great job but he's got the defense in a 43 right now, probably because we can only guess where some guys end up. Does Justin Hollins stand up on the edge now? The thing that stands out to me is how much we needed Carrington to come back. The WRs are empty next year.

No way will Nelson be moved to D, especially after you pointed out our thinness at WR. Man, that makes the Jalen Brown transfer even more bothersome. TE group is super thin too.

The one upside to having a bunch of freshmen OL play last year is that our OL's 2 deep is actually looking pretty nice.

As bad has our DL was last year, I feel like there's decent potential and depth for them to have a solid year.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

I like his Oline predictions. I think we start our best 5 and I think that's how it will look.
skdragon1
Two Star Recruit

Post by skdragon1 »

Excited to see what this will look like once the '17 class is signed and incorporated into this mix.
chipkellysballs
Two Star Recruit

Post by chipkellysballs »

skdragon1 wrote:Excited to see what this will look like once the '17 class is signed and incorporated into this mix.
+1. Especially among the defensive backs.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

skdragon1 wrote:Excited to see what this will look like once the '17 class is signed and incorporated into this mix.
The biggest changes will likely be at WR, LB, and DB. We could also see some change in the OL and DL because Cristobal and Salave'a will likely prefer different kinds of players from Greatwood and Aiken.