Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

dwysywd
One Star Recruit

Re: Discipline and work ethic moving forward

Post by dwysywd »

nogerO wrote:
5$ wrote:
rsbgduck wrote:
dwysywd wrote:Thought I read somewhere that Willie wanted one person to mess up so he can show the whole team he means business.
I disagree, a coach, supervisor, CEO, etc. wanting or hoping someone messes up just to make an example is the sign of a ruler/dictator not the thinking's or qualities of a good/great man, leader, boss or coach IMO
I disagree with you. Saying he hopes someone messes up to make an example of them is different than actually wanting someone to mess up. Just saying it serves the purpose of what the actions he's threatening would do. In fact, I'm willing to bet that if you asked him personally, he'd say he hopes NONE of his athletes mess up.
I was thinking the same exact thing.
That's how it came across to me as well. It really sounds like MH had no control and Willie T isn't going to put up with that crap! The first player meeting he set down the rules and now it's up to the players to test him on it, if they chose to do so.
"Let your dreams be bigger than your fears and your actions be louder than your words" - Willie Taggart
rsbgduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by rsbgduck »

So after laying down the rules, saying something like, you don't want to test me on this it will not end well for the person who violates these new team rules. I hope none of you break them, I would hate to make an example out of anyone on our team at the expense of there fb career and more importantly the education you are being provided.

please explain the difference in hoping I win the lottery and wanting to win the lottery?

Don't get me wrong I love the hard nose approach and enforcing the consequences when rules/laws are not followed. I do agree that if you asked him he would say he hopes non of his players messes up.........so why not just say that? What I'm saying is it was a bad choice of words.
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

rsbgduck wrote:So after laying down the rules, saying something like, you don't want to test me on this it will not end well for the person who violates these new team rules. I hope none of you break them, I would hate to make an example out of anyone on our team at the expense of there fb career and more importantly the education you are being provided.

please explain the difference in hoping I win the lottery and wanting to win the lottery?

Don't get me wrong I love the hard nose approach and enforcing the consequences when rules/laws are not followed. I do agree that if you asked him he would say he hopes non of his players messes up.........so why not just say that? What I'm saying is it was a bad choice of words.
We'll just have to agree to disagree. I thought it was a perfect thing to say in light of the loose ship that Helfy was running and all the crap that led to. A complete change was/is needed and that's what we're getting with this coach and what better way to put the team on notice that he isn't going to allow any subordination to his team rules. Line in the sand if you will. Go Willie Go!
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
Handsome Dan
Four Star Recruit

Post by Handsome Dan »

It seems to me that the problem was not that Helfrich created a respectful and positive environment for the players wherein he treated them like adults, but rather that he was unable (or unwilling) to assertively cut out detrimental behavior. He didn't quite accept the whole "father figure" aspect of being a college football coach, which meant he didn't act like a parent when he needed to. I think Taggart subscribes a similar philosophy (younger coaches tend to use this approach), and simply used the metaphorical nuclear option of looking like a hard-ass in his first meeting to shock the players into realizing things were going to change. I seriously hope he didn't actually say he wanted someone to mess up so he could make an example of them, because in an ideal world the players would immediately recognize the credibility of his statements and act accordingly.
OregonDonor
Two Star Recruit

Post by OregonDonor »

nogerO wrote:
rsbgduck wrote:So after laying down the rules, saying something like, you don't want to test me on this it will not end well for the person who violates these new team rules. I hope none of you break them, I would hate to make an example out of anyone on our team at the expense of there fb career and more importantly the education you are being provided.

We'll just have to agree to disagree. I thought it was a perfect thing to say in light of the loose ship that Helfy was running and all the crap that led to. A complete change was/is needed and that's what we're getting with this coach and what better way to put the team on notice that he isn't going to allow any subordination to his team rules. Line in the sand if you will. Go Willie Go!
I love the direction Willie's taking this program. He's running a tight ship and no bullsh*t will be tolerated. Was he stuntin when he told them he can't wait for one of them to test him so he could make an example of them? Probably, but they better not push it to find out. And that's the point.

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk
Formerly LetMeSeeYourO
sickaduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by sickaduck »

Every coach takes a hard stance initially on rule-breakers, but Taggart has made clear he will follow through if a player is involved with violence against women, using guns or drugs, violations he calls "unacceptable."

"Someone's going to try me and I'm going to make an example out of them," he said. "They're going to do it, especially if they've been getting away with some things to try to see if it's real and they'll see. My job is to plow the field, find the snakes and cut their heads off.

"We're not going to settle for anything less. They're not going to run this football team. They're going to do it the way that we want it here and it's not going to get done any other way."

Taken from: http://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/index.s ... _du_1.html

Read it for yourself and make up your own mind, but for me it came across as: eventually someone is going to try him and Willie will make sure the team knows it won't fly when that happens. Not hoping for it, he just sees that it is a reality (people aren't perfect) and he already knows how to handle it.
5$
Five Star Recruit

Post by 5$ »

sickaduck wrote:Every coach takes a hard stance initially on rule-breakers, but Taggart has made clear he will follow through if a player is involved with violence against women, using guns or drugs, violations he calls "unacceptable."

"Someone's going to try me and I'm going to make an example out of them," he said. "They're going to do it, especially if they've been getting away with some things to try to see if it's real and they'll see. My job is to plow the field, find the snakes and cut their heads off.

"We're not going to settle for anything less. They're not going to run this football team. They're going to do it the way that we want it here and it's not going to get done any other way."

Read it for yourself and make up your own mind, but for me it came across as: eventually someone is going to try him and Willie will make sure the team knows it won't fly when that happens. Not hoping for it, he just sees that it is a reality (people aren't perfect) and he already knows how to handle it.
Thank you for posting this clarifying article! Arguing hearsay is not beneficial.
rsbgduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by rsbgduck »

sickaduck wrote:Every coach takes a hard stance initially on rule-breakers, but Taggart has made clear he will follow through if a player is involved with violence against women, using guns or drugs, violations he calls "unacceptable."

^^^ This I like and think the program needed a lot more of during Helf's realm. I think there was some misunderstanding as to whether I agree with WT hardline approach, let me be clear that I love how he has came in and put his foot down or as someone else said drew a line in the sand. I completely agree with what WT said above which is different than saying "I hope someone messes up so I can make an example of them." How WT said it above makes me as a player or if it was my boss in the work place want to prove him wrong and go out of my way to make sure I don't mess up, to put in the extra work. The way someone else put it as "hoping" gives me little reason to respect him as a coach or person.