last seasons true freshman

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Alan
Senior

last seasons true freshman

Post by Alan »

Of the true freshman who started last season what odds do you give them of holding on to their starting spots? New coaches all around and new schemes.

Troy Dye 95% Freshman all American
Herbert 70% new system and maybe the year Jonson steps up...Braxton? Is he the right fit for Willie?
Brady Aiello 50% O line needs lots of help, is his experience enough?

And of course my favorite...Sunshine?.....can't get myself to give him an honest assessment. DB, O line and D Line are wide open, okay everything is wide open except maybe RB's.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Re: last seasons true freshman

Post by StevensTechU »

For what it's worth, Aiello was a redshirt freshman last year.

Although we all know Tyrell Crosby is a very good offensive tackle... I wouldn't be opposed to moving him inside. His strength is that he's a road grater, and I'd be surprised if he projects as a tackle at the next level rather than guard. That would mean you keep Aiello and Throckmorton outside, and Crosby/Hanson/Lemieux inside.

Dye, Herbert (barring a huge leap in throwing ability/decision-making by Wilson/Jonsen, combined with a million QB runs), and Schooler all keep their jobs because they're the best on the roster at those spots.
TualatinDuck
Senior

Post by TualatinDuck »

Sunshine keeps his job unless someone comes in and just goes off on a firey tirade!
"And I can be the warrior for those who are frail and weak,
And I can be the compass for those that search and seek." ~Lem Absher
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

Dye and Herbert I agree with, but I can't help but think Schooler started because no other DB wanted to hit in the open field. May have made him the best last year, I'm thinking he may be the most likely to lose his spot.
duckfbfan15
Three Star Recruit

Post by duckfbfan15 »

Herbert, Dye and Schooler will all start. I actually see Brady Breeze pushing Oliver for the other starting safety spot. The guys I see being pushed the most are the Corners. Graham and Lenoir could start if they come in and really lock things down from the start but they are also true frosh and it's baptism by fire with frosh corners in the Pac 12.

GO HARD, GO OREGON, GO DUCKS!
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Alan wrote:I'm thinking he may be the most likely to lose his spot.
To who?

Schooler's the best safety on the roster from what I can tell. I'd guess Juwaan Williams is the second safety unless Robinson moves back. Totally guessing, though.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

I don't know that anyone who played safety last year keeps their job.

Dye 100% lock to keep his job
JH 90% lock to keep his job.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

StevensTechU wrote:
Alan wrote:I'm thinking he may be the most likely to lose his spot.
To who?

Schooler's the best safety on the roster from what I can tell. I'd guess Juwaan Williams is the second safety unless Robinson moves back. Totally guessing, though.
Really the only thing I'm basing my thinking on is the lack of talent/effort back there from others last year. But as I was reminded by duckfbfan's pic he did have four int's I believe last season some ball hawk skills which should improve, he also had several ball carriers blast by him last year too......which comes with being a true freshman starter and having to make too many tackle because only a couple of guys on D could tackle. With luck we have some monsters coming in next year. What it boils down to is just what you stated, right now it's all guesses, everything is guesses at least until LOI day is over.
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

I doubt Crosby came back to be moved to guard. He will play OT and rightly so, IMO. He has 1st round potential.

I agree with those who say that we overrate Schooler, but I just don't see anyone better than him. I hope Heyward can develop some studs back there.
OregonDonor
Two Star Recruit

Post by OregonDonor »

Aiello will start.

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk
Formerly LetMeSeeYourO
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

The exact quote I got, when I asked what Levitt thinks of our D "he thinks the safetys are a bunch of pussies." It won't shock me to see Fr playing back there.
Groundswell
Four Star Recruit

Post by Groundswell »

buckmarkduck wrote:The exact quote I got, when I asked what Levitt thinks of our D "he thinks the safetys are a bunch of pussies." It won't shock me to see Fr playing back there.
He could have said that about 90% of our defense last year. I'm sure all of you yelled it at the television at least once per game.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

I was told he loves Dye, and really thinks Swain can be pretty good with coaching.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Re: Freshmen safeties. Oregon's 1 safety commit, Nick Pickett, is the lowest rated recruit of all the defensive back recruits. So I just don't see it. I could most certainly be wrong.
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

StevensTechU wrote:Re: Freshmen safeties. Oregon's 1 safety commit, Nick Pickett, is the lowest rated recruit of all the defensive back recruits. So I just don't see it. I could most certainly be wrong.
Yeah, unless they're really high on Gibson (and he comes here). Lenoir could also play there since he's pretty physical, but that would be a waste.