Irele Oderinde suspended for a month without pay

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

EHallam
High School Drop Out

Re: Irele Oderinde suspended for a month without pay

Post by EHallam »

I'm not a fan of this move personally. What do you all think?

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
Ducks10
Four Star Recruit

Post by Ducks10 »

I think this was a response to all the media pressure to do something, even if it wasn't as bad as the media made it out to be. At the end of the day, three of our guys were hospitalized after a few workouts. Not a good look. I think the AD felt the need to do something.
FlDuckFan
All Pac-12
GM: Orlando Magic GM

Post by FlDuckFan »

FlDuckFan
All Pac-12
GM: Orlando Magic GM

Post by FlDuckFan »

Good move on Taggerts part. If he's going to hold the players responsible for their actions he has to do so for the coaches as well. Regardless of how we all feel about the players getting hospitalized part of Coach O's job is to not let this stuff happen and last time we had a coach who didn't do his job correctly he was fired.
scoducks
Three Star Recruit

Post by scoducks »

I don't know how to feel about this... This is definitely a response to the pressure of all the media blowing this out of proportion. Thanks Oregonian.
EHallam
High School Drop Out

Post by EHallam »

Ducks10 wrote:I think this was a response to all the media pressure to do something, even if it wasn't as bad as the media made it out to be. At the end of the day, three of our guys were hospitalized after a few workouts. Not a good look. I think the AD felt the need to do something.
I absolutely agree. Also think it's a way to head off any issues this may cause on the recruiting trail. I feel bad for coach O. Just a terrible situation all around.

EHallam
High School Drop Out

Post by EHallam »

Biggus Duckus wrote:One month suspension without pay seems a bit crazy, but maybe Taggard and the administration know more than us or the media.
Definitely seems extreme. Feels like an overreaction. 1 week would be more fitting in my mind.

pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

Wow, this is surprising. I'm guessing this has less to do with the media and much more to do with recruiting. Taggart and his coaches need to look parents in the eyes and tell them they'll protect their kids from harm.

Keep in mind that all of this could have been so much worse had one of these players slipped into kidney failure. Then we're talking lawsuits, not just headlines.

This is Taggart's way of saying this will not happen again.
Last edited by pezsez1 on Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
OregonDonor
Two Star Recruit

Post by OregonDonor »

Totally justified. He was in charge and he jeopardized the kids safety. Needed to be done for multiple reasons.

Coach Rad will take over in the interim and coach O will report directly to sports science drector Andrew Murray when he comes back.

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk
Formerly LetMeSeeYourO
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Biggus Duckus wrote:One month suspension without pay seems a bit crazy, but maybe Taggard and the administration know more than us or the media.
I think it's basically admitting that they were at fault for this happening and the coaches will all be held accountable for their mistakes.

Looks like Radcliff will take over until Oderinde comes back and when he does, he'll be reporting to the head of sports performance instead of Taggart.
Duck24
Senior

Post by Duck24 »

Or it's the response to three student athletes under his guidance ending up in the hospital with a condition that could lead to acute renal failure and necessitate kidney transplants, among other serious and permanent medical problems. The idiocy of the people on here trying to brush this off as no big deal is comical. This guy is paid a significant sum of money to be an expert in the strength and conditioning field and a week into the job, has three kids in the hospital. It has nothing to do with these guys being out of shape, lazy, soft or whatever other BS reasons people are twisting this to be on the players. The university absolutely had to respond, media shitstorm or not. This guy is lucky he didn't lose his job.
scoducks
Three Star Recruit

Post by scoducks »

Thought we were going for a culture change? Now we are going back to square one because these workouts are "grueling" Thanks media for overblowing the workouts. Only went for one side of the story and didn't talk to the players defending O.
EHallam
High School Drop Out

Post by EHallam »

pezsez1 wrote:Wow, this is surprising. I'm guessing this has less to do with the media and much more to do with recruiting. Taggart and his coaches need to look parents in the eyes and tell them they'll protect their kids from harm.

Keep in mind that all of this could have been so much worse had one of these players slipped into kidney failure. Then we're talking lawsuits, not just headlines.
I think it's a combination of both for sure. I still feel like 1 week, 2 weeks max, would've been sufficient. But then again, what do I know?

pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

We can and will have a culture change without guys putting their kidneys at risk.

Our new strength coach doesn't have a history of putting players in the hospital. But he did this time -- three of them -- and he's got to pay the price.
Willie Taggart is a dick.