Irele Oderinde suspended for a month without pay

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Groundswell
Four Star Recruit

Re: Irele Oderinde suspended for a month without pay

Post by Groundswell »

http://www.yardbarker.com/college_footb ... 7_22989628

I love how a string of tweets now passes for an interview in today's media world.
Hoagduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by Hoagduck »

I'm foremost there seems to be no permanent physical harm to the players.

I'm also glad the s&c coach doesn't go out recruiting [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH AND COLD SWEAT].

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
wlduck
Sophomore

Post by wlduck »

Duck24 wrote:All things considered, let's just hope this is one big learning experience for everyone involved. It sound like Brenner has been released and let's hope McCormick and Poutasi follow shortly with no long term impacts. Not even trying to be melodramatic about this but Coach O is responsible for these guys lives. When S&C coaches are negligent, people can die. Look at Cal, Central Florida, Florida State and the Minnesota Vikings for real life examples of that. Mullens, Taggart and Co have handled this about as well as you can so you have to give them props for that. I don't doubt Coach O took the safety of his players seriously before this but he will be very cognizant now.

With that being said, I can't comprehend why some people are so upset about the media attention this has gotten and that Coach O was suspended. But then again, I knew what rhabdo was and how serious it can be prior to Monday night when all of the twitter and message board folks dusted off their Google MD's and became experts. This isn't some media attack on Oregon like some of you are making it out to be. It's embarrassing looking at twitter messages directed at Andrew Greif for breaking this story. You don't get hospitalized for multiple days because you are being a pussy, people realize that right? Everyone has lauded the accountability Taggart preached since he started and the first chance there has been to hold someone accountable, 75% of the fan base starts screaming that the media is picking on us. Pull your heads out of your green and yellow butts for like 10 seconds, join us in reality and realize why the media, NFL players like Joe Thomas, Geoff Schwartz and medical experts are saying this is a big deal. What part of "potential for acute renal failure" leads people down the "these guys are soft and need to be toughened up" path? Seriously, I want to hear a logical defense for this train of thought other than "well the players are supporting Coach O and said it wasn't even that bad." A month ago, those same players were saying to not fire Helf and Co, and nobody cared about what they thought then.

This isn't meant to trash Coach O because a guy like this is exactly what this team seems to need, but he still has the responsibility of keeping everyone safe...and not in the hospital.
I'm late to comment on this but you are spot on with this.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Careful guys. Don't get too far off-topic.

Edit: I deleted a bunch of posts, instead of locking the thread, because it was getting too far off-topic.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

I wonder if he'll ever give an interview, especially now that he'll have to answer for this incident.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

greenyellow wrote:I wonder if he'll ever give an interview, especially now that he'll have to answer for this incident.
Are you referring to coach O or Willie? I can see Willie giving an interview but I doubt he lets Coach O.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Alan wrote:
greenyellow wrote:I wonder if he'll ever give an interview, especially now that he'll have to answer for this incident.
Are you referring to coach O or Willie? I can see Willie giving an interview but I doubt he lets Coach O.
I was wondering more about Coach O since Willie already gave an interview to Aaron Fentress on Friday. If he does give interviews, I bet it'll only be for Moseley and GoDucks so the incident doesn't keep coming up.

Thread with Taggart's interview: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=26822
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

greenyellow wrote:
Alan wrote:
I was wondering more about Coach O since Willie already gave an interview to Aaron Fentress on Friday. If he does give interviews, I bet it'll only be for Moseley and GoDucks so the incident doesn't keep coming up.
I'd be surprised if they let or ask coach O do one, mostly because Willie has done one (which I didn't know about but will google it next), also I would think by the time O comes back it, with hopes, will be in the rear view mirror and they'll want it to stay there. Thanks for the heads up on Willie and Fentress.
brich75
Senior

Post by brich75 »

Alan wrote:
greenyellow wrote:
Alan wrote:
I'd be surprised if they let or ask coach O do one, mostly because Willie has done one (which I didn't know about but will google it next), also I would think by the time O comes back it, with hopes, will be in the rear view mirror and they'll want it to stay there. Thanks for the heads up on Willie and Fentress.
I agree after this month suspension is over I bet they will just want to move on focusing on the future. Doubt it will be adressed again.
duxforlyfe
Three Star Recruit

Post by duxforlyfe »

brich75 wrote:
Alan wrote:
greenyellow wrote:
Alan wrote:
I agree after this month suspension is over I bet they will just want to move on focusing on the future. Doubt it will be adressed again.
This is definitely gonna be a non issue once coach O comes back, so much time will have passed. Seems like the kids are really digging the new staff. Bright future

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Handsome Dan
Four Star Recruit

Post by Handsome Dan »

Does anyone know if the now healed (thankfully) players and Oderinde have met to talk things through? That'd be the most encouraging sign of all.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Handsome Dan wrote:Does anyone know if the now healed (thankfully) players and Oderinde have met to talk things through? That'd be the most encouraging sign of all.
I guess it'd all depend on the conditions of his suspension about who he can contact and where he can be.
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

Didn't some of the hospitalized guys voice their support on Twitter?
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Phenom wrote:Didn't some of the hospitalized guys voice their support on Twitter?
I thought Brenner and McCormick posted something but not sure if Poutasi said anything.
Handsome Dan
Four Star Recruit

Post by Handsome Dan »

greenyellow wrote:
Handsome Dan wrote:Does anyone know if the now healed (thankfully) players and Oderinde have met to talk things through? That'd be the most encouraging sign of all.
I guess it'd all depend on the conditions of his suspension about who he can contact and where he can be.
Oh right, good point. Since it's a university leveled suspension, you'd think they'd allow them (potentially monitored) meeting for that purpose. It's not like he can really put them through drills in a conference room.