Taggart responds to criticism from FL HS coach

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

polyduck
Four Star Recruit

Re: Taggart responds to criticism from FL HS coach

Post by polyduck »

greenyellow wrote:Sounds like a bunch of people with hurt feelings that Taggart found other ways to talk to recruits without having to go through the coaches. Even Sherrod Everett, the Ducks' new Director of Football Operations, chimed in and said they had 44 players from the Tampa area this past season so it's not like they weren't recruiting them.
"Lead....Follow....or Get outta the way!"

LezzzzGoCoachTee!
Groundswell
Four Star Recruit

Post by Groundswell »

Pontius wrote:
scoducks wrote:
Honestly, it's a new age of recruiting. With the huge fad of technology and social media Taggart is cutting the middle man out. You can go straight to the recruit by just following them on twitter and establishing a relationship with them through DM. Gone are the days of going straight to the high school coach to recruit. It seems due to this, Taggart doesn't really need to approach the high school anymore. I think Garcia is just an old school coach who hasn't caught up to the time of the new age. Just my opinion though.

Maybe it is a new age, but it's not necessarily for the better. Part of contacting the head coach is to get a background on a player from what is likely to be a reputable source. Without that, it's really hard to imagine a college coach and a player meeting at the right level if tweeting and texts are all there is to go on. The HS coaches add a buffer and some sort of guidance for the prospective student athlete that I believe is necessary when high paid coaches(win at all costs) are coming down the pipe. It's just practical and advisable if we are to retain some sort of regulation on the whole shitshow that is football recruiting.
Couple things. 1. College football recruiting is so far around the bend and down the road that high school coaches have almost no affect on how regulated recruiting is. In fact, there is a long history of high school coaches being part of the problem in recruiting because they take perks and kick-backs to influence kids. Sure, a coach might help a confused kid, but if a kid has a relationship with his high school coach, the kid will seek guidance. 2. When I hear high school coaches complaining, I never get the impression they have the best interests of their kids in mind. The complaints always feel like some need for a back-slap. 3. I think most colleges, when vetting kids, are talking to someone at the kid's school...counselors, teachers, etc...
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Getting on your phone and messaging someone only costs you your monthly phone bill and the minute of your life involved in the task. Plus, you can't speak emoji.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Pontius wrote:
scoducks wrote:
Honestly, it's a new age of recruiting. With the huge fad of technology and social media Taggart is cutting the middle man out. You can go straight to the recruit by just following them on twitter and establishing a relationship with them through DM. Gone are the days of going straight to the high school coach to recruit. It seems due to this, Taggart doesn't really need to approach the high school anymore. I think Garcia is just an old school coach who hasn't caught up to the time of the new age. Just my opinion though.

Maybe it is a new age, but it's not necessarily for the better. Part of contacting the head coach is to get a background on a player from what is likely to be a reputable source. Without that, it's really hard to imagine a college coach and a player meeting at the right level if tweeting and texts are all there is to go on. The HS coaches add a buffer and some sort of guidance for the prospective student athlete that I believe is necessary when high paid coaches(win at all costs) are coming down the pipe. It's just practical and advisable if we are to retain some sort of regulation on the whole shitshow that is football recruiting.
I played for a coach in HS who wouldn't lift a finger for a kid. I had to pay a firm to make my videos, and get my tape to college coaches. My best friend, who was first team all state OL and DL, and DPOY, had ASU called our coach and asked about him and asked for his number. Our coach only told them he wasn't good enough for them, and to not waist your time. My buddy ended up at Portland St, was all confrence at guard and played two years for the Titans after that. There's a lot of crappy coaches out there.
Pontius
Three Star Recruit

Post by Pontius »

Pontius wrote:
Pontius wrote:
buckmarkduck wrote:
Pontius wrote:
scoducks wrote:

I played for a coach in HS who wouldn't lift a finger for a kid. I had to pay a firm to make my videos, and get my tape to college coaches. My best friend, who was first team all state OL and DL, and DPOY, had ASU called our coach and asked about him and asked for his number. Our coach only told them he wasn't good enough for them, and to not waist your time. My buddy ended up at Portland St, was all confrence at guard and played two years for the Titans after that. There's a lot of crappy coaches out there.
I will concede you make a good point, because not all HS coaches are going to do what is in the best interest of their players. I'd like to think more HS coaches are not this way than are, but the state of the world and this society doesn't honestly give much for hope in that regard. So, maybe I am wrong and you are right.