Jimmie Dougherty to UCLA

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

greenyellow

Re: Jimmie Dougherty to UCLA

Post by greenyellow »

Didn't see this one coming but after what happened with the Reaves incident, I wouldn't be surprised if he was asked to pursue other options. It'll be interesting to see if they go after Craig because of his cost and his lack of ties to the West Coast. I believe they need to get at least one more person on staff with West Coast ties.
scoducks
Three Star Recruit

Post by scoducks »

Craig is most likely ending up here, unless somehow there is something in his background like he killed a guy or gotten a DUI
Last edited by scoducks on Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Groundswell
Four Star Recruit

Post by Groundswell »

Duck24 wrote:
srsmiley007 wrote:
ifuwant2 wrote:
5$ wrote:
ifuwant2 wrote:My major worry--besides the coaching turnover issues--is whether we can get a real offensive mind on the staff. An x's and o's big picture scheming philosophy guy. Even paid advisors would work. I think losing Reaves was a major loss in that area.
I heard Chip is available, he's an Xs and Os guy. :D

(Please spare the "he's not coming" reasoning. I know all the reasons already.)
Chip is dead to me.
ditto.
You'd all explosively cream in your pants if Chip came back in any coaching capacity.
Until he moves to Eugene, and occupies an office, that's just some weird necrophilia action you're suggesting. I'll save you a shovel full of dirt for when he shows up coaching at another PAC 12 school.
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

Chip was amazing when he was here but I genuinely wonder if he would be as successful if he came back now. I think if he had stayed he would have evolved and the momentum of our program would have continued and pull in top notch classes. Coming back in cold though, to a much more difficult league would have been interesting. I'm not sure he would have gone after both recruiting and the coaching staff with as much fervor as willie has.

All that said, I think if when he takes another head coaching gig in college he will be very successful but the pressure here would have been intense. We would have expected top 5 finishes again every year and I'm not sure how realistic that truly is. We hit beyond home runs with lamichael and Marcus back to back and so much of our success was predicated on them.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

I can definitely see how this move is a logical one for Dougherty that doesn't have anything to with the Reaves DUI case. UCLA just hired Jedd Fisch from Michigan to be their new QB/OC so there's a Michigan connection with Dougherty. Add in an additional job title and responsibility (passing game coordinator) and it's a step up from his presumed role at Oregon.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Some reactions from a couple of Oregon's recent signees: https://campusinsiders.com/news/oregon- ... 2-08-2017/
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

greenyellow wrote:Some reactions from a couple of Oregon's recent signees: https://campusinsiders.com/news/oregon- ... 2-08-2017/
Interesting, so did the coaches know all along that Dougherty was going to leave/get booted but waited until we signed the guys we wanted before making it public?

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
lmduck

Post by lmduck »

greenyellow wrote:I can definitely see how this move is a logical one for Dougherty that doesn't have anything to with the Reaves DUI case. UCLA just hired Jedd Fisch from Michigan to be their new QB/OC so there's a Michigan connection with Dougherty. Add in an additional job title and responsibility (passing game coordinator) and it's a step up from his presumed role at Oregon.
It's totally related to the DUI case. He was 'strongly encouraged' to pursue other options. Interpret as you wish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

lmduck wrote:
greenyellow wrote:I can definitely see how this move is a logical one for Dougherty that doesn't have anything to with the Reaves DUI case. UCLA just hired Jedd Fisch from Michigan to be their new QB/OC so there's a Michigan connection with Dougherty. Add in an additional job title and responsibility (passing game coordinator) and it's a step up from his presumed role at Oregon.
It's totally related to the DUI case. He was 'strongly encouraged' to pursue other options. Interpret as you wish.

But you can see how this would be a logical move even if he wasn't a part of the Reaves incident.
DuckedOut
Three Star Recruit

Post by DuckedOut »

greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

I get the feeling that both open positions will be filled by this weekend and that the total salaries will likely balloon to just over $4 million, especially if they pay Craig in the same ballpark as his LSU salary. With the likely addition of a 10th assistant, staying under $4 million is out the window.
scoducks
Three Star Recruit

Post by scoducks »

greenyellow wrote:I get the feeling that both open positions will be filled by this weekend and that the total salaries will likely balloon to just over $4 million, especially if they pay Craig in the same ballpark as his LSU salary. With the likely addition of a 10th assistant, staying under $4 million is out the window.
not my money so I'm not complaining :lol:
Howry
Three Star Recruit

Post by Howry »

srsmiley007 wrote:
DuckedOut wrote:He's close with UCLAs OC, we're vetting Craig and he was in the car with Reaves. Looks like a lot of stuff added up to this.

Since his ties to WT were not close, had to believe the "slumped in the car drunk" was a nail in the coffin. While not illegal, it's a direct affront to the image and pitch WT is making these kids and their families.

Honestly, if we get Craig, this would be beyond stellar and arguably provide us with the best recruiting staff in history. There is no downside to this if we truly land DC and get these other guys under wraps. Grab a young up-n-comer OC/QB coach for game-planning, another kick-a$$ TE coach/recruiter and we'll kill it even more!
Get Craig and bring in Akili Smith to coach QBs. Did he ever get back and get his degree?
DuckedOut
Three Star Recruit

Post by DuckedOut »

DuckedOut wrote:
Hope to add to this a little more, I just heard that it isn't likely Craig will be coming here to coach WRs, but to be the Co-OC with Cristobal and to coach QBs. As for the WR hire, my money is on TJ Weist.

Also of note, the reason this is moving so fast is because it's been in the works for a little while now.
scoducks
Three Star Recruit

Post by scoducks »

DuckedOut wrote:
DuckedOut wrote:
Hope to add to this a little more, I just heard that it isn't likely Craig will be coming here to coach WRs, but to be the Co-OC with Cristobal and to coach QBs. As for the WR hire, my money is on TJ Weist.

Also of note, the reason this is moving so fast is because it's been in the works for a little while now.
That makes sense. Craig was the one who recruited and coached Jameis correct? Or am I wrong on that? TJ Weist I know he was the interim HC for USF when Taggart came here. Is he a good X's and O's guy?