Help me out with the WT/Herbert thing on DT

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Groundswell
Four Star Recruit

Help me out with the WT/Herbert thing on DT

Post by Groundswell »

Can you help a brother out? I've seen a couple of hints over at DT about rumors and swirlings that maybe Willie T. is not as enamored with Hebert as one would expect or something. There is innuendo that maybe some people close to the program are saying certain things. I'm not interested in drama or gossip per se. Spring Ball and Fall Camp will sort everything out. But if somebody here has heard something worth passing on, I'd appreciate it. Kinda curious. As far as I know, I was the first person at DT after Willie was hired to broach the subject of whether a new offense might mean a renewed quarterback competition. Basically, I believe Herbert will win the job, but I'm not going to be surprised or pissed if he gets beat out. Now, there's a couple threads over there having that debate, but there's some weird stuff being alluded to, and I don't pay for that site anymore. Anything worth talking about?
buckmarkduck
All-American

Re: Help me out with the WT/Herbert thing on DT

Post by buckmarkduck »

All made up BS by people. They think because Flowers ran his O so well, WT will want Wilson to be qb. Problem is, Wilson isn't half the qb Herbert is.
5$
Five Star Recruit

Post by 5$ »

I think WT's outward stance to the players is one where no one's job is safe at any time. Constant competition. That's how we ran the club rowing team from 2002-06, and it translated into a competitive crew during those years. I could see how it would make Herbert think things could get shook up. I think Herbert would be best served having the mentality that he has to beat everyone else for the job, because it's not guaranteed.
DuckedOut
Three Star Recruit

Post by DuckedOut »

Taggart isn't enamored with anyone on the roster yet because he hasn't seen them practice or play...the people who started that rumor are complete negatrons and it's completely false.
Groundswell
Four Star Recruit

Post by Groundswell »

DuckedOut wrote:Taggart isn't enamored with anyone on the roster yet because he hasn't seen them practice or play...the people who started that rumor are complete negatrons and it's completely false.
Thanks. I'm just not sure what the rumors are/is. But sounds like it's not worth repeating.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

5$ wrote:I think WT's outward stance to the players is one where no one's job is safe at any time. Constant competition. That's how we ran the club rowing team from 2002-06, and it translated into a competitive crew during those years. I could see how it would make Herbert think things could get shook up. I think Herbert would be best served having the mentality that he has to beat everyone else for the job, because it's not guaranteed.
Of course it will be an open competition, but Herbert is just that much better than the other guys. I've also hear Wilson has a hard time leading the playbook, which he could change, but last year he just couldn't get it. The great thing with Wilson unlike TJ, is he's a hell of an athlete and could be a WR if he doesn't win the spot. Especially if we land a stud in the '18 class.
srsmiley007
Four Star Recruit

Post by srsmiley007 »

ifuwant2 wrote:Can you help a brother out? I've seen a couple of hints over at DT about rumors and swirlings that maybe Willie T. is not as enamored with Hebert as one would expect or something. There is innuendo that maybe some people close to the program are saying certain things. I'm not interested in drama or gossip per se. Spring Ball and Fall Camp will sort everything out. But if somebody here has heard something worth passing on, I'd appreciate it. Kinda curious. As far as I know, I was the first person at DT after Willie was hired to broach the subject of whether a new offense might mean a renewed quarterback competition. Basically, I believe Herbert will win the job, but I'm not going to be surprised or pissed if he gets beat out. Now, there's a couple threads over there having that debate, but there's some weird stuff being alluded to, and I don't pay for that site anymore. Anything worth talking about?
It's all crap! Been seeing some of the most idiotic posts ever. Make believe crap that is literally off the rails. They are alluding to Herbert transferring because WT's offense doesn't fit him. Again, CRAP! WT isn't going to the Natty without an elite passer. He knows that. His "O" was based on his talent.NOT HAPPENING. Ignore it.

The trolls have taken over. At least some of us tried and true folks could slam the make-believe crap from ignorant fans. Everyone is gone now because JHOP got fired. It's all idiots. About the only thing relevant is that Corpatty shares every tweet related to Duck football. Saw the same stuff and they have NO IDEA about what they're talking about.

a.) Herbert...by far...has the best arm and decision making evidenced to date by any of the 3. I love Wilson's feet but he is a single read QB who is highly inaccurate.
b.) TJ just doesn't appear to have the decision making. This is extremely hard.
c.) Herbert will have whole off season to get his timing down.

I told everyone on this board that he would be likely start this season. He is that good. The kid was 19TD's to 4 Int's a true freshman. He has all of the throws, nipple up, etc. he throws to the right shoulder,etc. Wilson is too inaccurate and TJ is in his head too much.

Rest assured JH is starting next season!
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

I like that there is uncertainty right now. Hopefully it keeps everyone engaged and focused on getting better. I doubt Herbert loses the starting gig, though. Isn't it the same guy who said Herbert would transfer once Taggart was named the coach? lol
Hoagduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by Hoagduck »

Coach speak. He's not gonna tell any players their job is safe. He's said nice things about Herbert in interviews, but everything is subject to competition in 2017.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Phenom wrote:I like that there is uncertainty right now. Hopefully it keeps everyone engaged and focused on getting better. I doubt Herbert loses the starting gig, though. Isn't it the same guy who said Herbert would transfer once Taggart was named the coach? lol
No it was KOD who said that I think.
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

buckmarkduck wrote:
Phenom wrote:I like that there is uncertainty right now. Hopefully it keeps everyone engaged and focused on getting better. I doubt Herbert loses the starting gig, though. Isn't it the same guy who said Herbert would transfer once Taggart was named the coach? lol
Thought it was DDDuck for some reason...
Groundswell
Four Star Recruit

Post by Groundswell »

Well, Spring Ball will sort it all out. Only would be worried if there's some kind of personality conflicts, and sounds like that must be the gossip.

After Willie's hiring, I said people might have to wrap their minds around the "possibility" that Herbert might not stay in the job. Lot of dudes freaked at that. I'm sure all the players are feeling unsure about their place in a new system and with a new staff. I imagine many have expressed doubts. When stuff like that makes it to the message boards it gets treated as if a player is already seeking a transfer. Sometimes a dude just says, "Man, these new coaches...I don't know." Soon as they go to work together, and battle together, all that stuff can turn to trust.

PS. I've often thought that one of Willie's toughest tasks will be rebuilding the fragile psyche of some of these players. He's got to get them to erase doubt. Build up their esteem. Adversity is coming, and this group has stubbed its toes way too many times. The coaches have to be leaders. Not the players. At least not until the players have gained some confidence.
Last edited by Groundswell on Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
FlDuckFan
All Pac-12
GM: Orlando Magic GM

Post by FlDuckFan »

Flowers flourished once people came to WT and told him to let Flowers be Flowers. Before WT adapted his offense to Flowers it wasn't so QB run heavy.
DuckedOut
Three Star Recruit

Post by DuckedOut »

buckmarkduck wrote:
and he was being sarcastic
scoducks
Three Star Recruit

Post by scoducks »

Phenom wrote:
buckmarkduck wrote:
Thought it was DDDuck for some reason...
I thought it was that WWWEBFOOT dude that is always negative?