Help me out with the WT/Herbert thing on DT

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

scoducks
Three Star Recruit

Re: Help me out with the WT/Herbert thing on DT

Post by scoducks »

Also LOL at DT. every time a quality thread gets started it turns into a flame war.
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

Folks here have been breaking all of the news before they are now as well. They still have more activity over there but the quality of content per post is far superior here.
Sir quackerton
High School Drop Out

Post by Sir quackerton »

Hey this is my first post but I've been lurking here ever since JHOP left DT. I was the one who started the thread about how there could be a fun competition at QB this year since there's a new staff and new system. I don't have inside info and never have claimed to. Just looking to have a conversation about the ducks to get everyone's opinion.

In hindsight it was dumb of me to think we could have a civilized conversation on there without it turning into a flame war. The trolls have taken over and Matt could care less lately. I won't be making that mistake again.I changed my card info today and I'll just let my membership run out on the 21st.

This board seems awesome and I'll definitly continue to lurk and maybe post every once in a while. Also i laughed super hard today when Matt posted about Arroyo today like he had the scoop. I know i clearly saw that on here yesterday and even messaged AK about it on DT.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Sir quackerton wrote:Hey this is my first post but I've been lurking here ever since JHOP left DT. I was the one who started the thread about how there could be a fun competition at QB this year since there's a new staff and new system. I don't have inside info and never have claimed to. Just looking to have a conversation about the ducks to get everyone's opinion.

In hindsight it was dumb of me to think we could have a civilized conversation on there without it turning into a flame war. The trolls have taken over and Matt could care less lately. I won't be making that mistake again.I changed my card info today and I'll just let my membership run out on the 21st.

This board seems awesome and I'll definitly continue to lurk and maybe post every once in a while. Also i laughed super hard today when Matt posted about Arroyo today like he had the scoop. I know i clearly saw that on here yesterday and even messaged AK about it on DT.
The competition will be fun, and I'm actually a fan of Wilson's, but I just think Herbert is a special talent. He understands the playbook almost as fast as Marcus did, and he's got the ice in his veins with a NFL arm. Honestly if JH hadn't been hurt, and had been willing to only focus on football doing camps and 7v7 stuff all the time. I really think he would have been a top 10 qb coming out of HS, maybe top 5. You can't teach the smarts, size, athleticism and arm he has.
Sad Sports Fan
One Star Recruit

Post by Sad Sports Fan »

buckmarkduck wrote:
Sir quackerton wrote:Hey this is my first post but I've been lurking here ever since JHOP left DT. I was the one who started the thread about how there could be a fun competition at QB this year since there's a new staff and new system. I don't have inside info and never have claimed to. Just looking to have a conversation about the ducks to get everyone's opinion.

The competition will be fun, and I'm actually a fan of Wilson's, but I just think Herbert is a special talent. He understands the playbook almost as fast as Marcus did, and he's got the ice in his veins with a NFL arm. Honestly if JH hadn't been hurt, and had been willing to only focus on football doing camps and 7v7 stuff all the time. I really think he would have been a top 10 qb coming out of HS, maybe top 5. You can't teach the smarts, size, athleticism and arm he has.
I think some of the frustration for those on DT who are tired of the "Wilson or Jonsen could supplant Herbert" argument is that those who are arguing this point, don't make good points to support their arguments. And then they keep repeating those same points as if it'll become better if they repeat more often.
DuckedOut
Three Star Recruit

Post by DuckedOut »

Yeah, Matt don't know s***

Hell, I even think he got his info from Scott Reed based on their twitter interactions...
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

Rumors are just stupid.

Taggart said everyone has to fight for their spot across the board, but he's no fool.

Unless Wilson has made a monumental leap, Herbert will be the starter hands down.
duckfan22
Senior

Post by duckfan22 »

I think in some situations you could see Wilson come in for a 3rd down play just to throw teams a curve. But Herbert is the guy.
srsmiley007
Four Star Recruit

Post by srsmiley007 »

lukeyrid13 wrote:Folks here have been breaking all of the news before they are now as well. They still have more activity over there but the quality of content per post is far superior here.
yeah, and for the most part you don't have knee jerk analysis over everything that's said. To many deuche responses by trolls on DT lately. This guys post was extremely reasonable because some (without inside info) have speculated that Herbert is going to transfer without even knowing that our offense and the gulf coast is extremely similar. That's where the moronic speculation started. Hopefully this thread has laid this to rest.
Groundswell
Four Star Recruit

Post by Groundswell »

Well, I think it's perfectly normal for people to speculate who the quarterback is going to be when a new coach and system is brought in. Same as at any other position. There is no doubt some dudes at some positions are going to get buried. Obviously, the odds of Herbert getting passed are very small. But I find it weird that some folks can't even talk about it. Like they'll jump off a cliff at the very notion. I mentioned this on the boards before, not sure if here though, but J. Hurts at Alabama, as a true freshman, took his team to the Natty and won the SEC offensive player of the year. On the Alabama boards, there is serious conversation about whether he should ever start another game. They talk about whether Tua can beat him out, and whether a new OC means one of the other kids behind him will be handed the reigns. All because of one game. I mean, it's a real legit conversation over there. And the prevailing opinion seems to trend away from Hurts.

Some of you may remember that I posted the list of National Championship winning quarterbacks over the last 25 years or so, and I'm not sure there was a single NFL big-armed gun-slinging qb in the bunch. I could give a rip if a qb is an NFL talent. I care if we win all our games. Now that's not an argument for or against any kind or quarterback. That's an argument for saying that I don't care who Taggart goes with as long as it wins the most games. I fully expect it to be Herbert.

PS. A "Taggart team" is still 3 years away. Don't know what that's going to look like. Herbert will be a Senior then. Might have already declared and be gone. We will likely have a very different "style" of qb recruit following him. Though our old offense and the Gulf Coast offense are pretty similar, the philosophy behind/guiding them are very different. A whole different ball game. Whole different approach. Some kids will shine. Some won't.
srsmiley007
Four Star Recruit

Post by srsmiley007 »

ifuwant2 wrote:Well, I think it's perfectly normal for people to speculate who the quarterback is going to be when a new coach and system is brought in. Same as at any other position. There is no doubt some dudes at some positions are going to get buried. Obviously, the odds of Herbert getting passed are very small. But I find it weird that some folks can't even talk about it. Like they'll jump off a cliff at the very notion. I mentioned this on the boards before, not sure if here though, but J. Hurts at Alabama, as a true freshman, took his team to the Natty and won the SEC offensive player of the year. On the Alabama boards, there is serious conversation about whether he should ever start another game. They talk about whether Tua can beat him out, and whether a new OC means one of the other kids behind him will be handed the reigns. All because of one game. I mean, it's a real legit conversation over there. And the prevailing opinion seems to trend away from Hurts.

Some of you may remember that I posted the list of National Championship winning quarterbacks over the last 25 years or so, and I'm not sure there was a single NFL big-armed gun-slinging qb in the bunch. I could give a rip if a qb is an NFL talent. I care if we win all our games. Now that's not an argument for or against any kind or quarterback. That's an argument for saying that I don't care who Taggart goes with as long as it wins the most games. I fully expect it to be Herbert.

PS. A "Taggart team" is still 3 years away. Don't know what that's going to look like. Herbert will be a Senior then. Might have already declared and be gone. We will likely have a very different "style" of qb recruit following him. Though our old offense and the Gulf Coast offense are pretty similar, the philosophy behind/guiding them are very different. A whole different ball game. Whole different approach. Some kids will shine. Some won't.
Speculation is one thing but some toads on DTintimated that there was talk of Herbert transferring over transition of offense, etc. Speculation is one thing but this was simply "FAKE NEWS." Hence, great post question.
scoducks
Three Star Recruit

Post by scoducks »

srsmiley007 wrote:
ifuwant2 wrote:Well, I think it's perfectly normal for people to speculate who the quarterback is going to be when a new coach and system is brought in. Same as at any other position. There is no doubt some dudes at some positions are going to get buried. Obviously, the odds of Herbert getting passed are very small. But I find it weird that some folks can't even talk about it. Like they'll jump off a cliff at the very notion. I mentioned this on the boards before, not sure if here though, but J. Hurts at Alabama, as a true freshman, took his team to the Natty and won the SEC offensive player of the year. On the Alabama boards, there is serious conversation about whether he should ever start another game. They talk about whether Tua can beat him out, and whether a new OC means one of the other kids behind him will be handed the reigns. All because of one game. I mean, it's a real legit conversation over there. And the prevailing opinion seems to trend away from Hurts.

Speculation is one thing but some toads on DTintimated that there was talk of Herbert transferring over transition of offense, etc. Speculation is one thing but this was simply "FAKE NEWS." Hence, great post question.
Haha I think it was WWWEBFOOT who created that rumor that Herbert might transfer due to Taggart
srsmiley007
Four Star Recruit

Post by srsmiley007 »

scoducks wrote:
srsmiley007 wrote:

Haha I think it was WWWEBFOOT who created that rumor that Herbert might transfer due to Taggart
NO SURPRISE THERE! :lol: :lol: I imagine Rehab backed him up and said his friend in legal was drawing up the transfer papers.. :D
wlduck
Sophomore

Post by wlduck »

Herbert won the job despite being a part time football player growing up. Right now is the first time he's a full time football player. As good as he was last year, I truly believe he'll be that much better next year.
Groundswell
Four Star Recruit

Post by Groundswell »

scoducks wrote:
srsmiley007 wrote:Haha I think it was WWWEBFOOT who created that rumor that Herbert might transfer due to Taggart
But wasn't there more than just the "fake news" troll job going on? Didn't some other more respected posters say they'd heard some rumblings. Didn't somebody over here a week or two back suggest that they'd "heard" that maybe an Oregon quarterback contacted Tennessee just "in case"?

In the end, I'm ignoring it because clearly Herbert is going to be here through Spring ball, and that should tell everybody everything that needs to be known.