Help me out with the WT/Herbert thing on DT

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

scoducks
Three Star Recruit

Re: Help me out with the WT/Herbert thing on DT

Post by scoducks »

ifuwant2 wrote:
scoducks wrote:
srsmiley007 wrote:Haha I think it was WWWEBFOOT who created that rumor that Herbert might transfer due to Taggart
But wasn't there more than just the "fake news" troll job going on? Didn't some other more respected posters say they'd heard some rumblings. Didn't somebody over here a week or two back suggest that they'd "heard" that maybe an Oregon quarterback contacted Tennessee just "in case"?

In the end, I'm ignoring it because clearly Herbert is going to be here through Spring ball, and that should tell everybody everything that needs to be known.
If there is a QB that is thinking on transferring it has to be Jonsen. Went from battling for the starting position to 3rd and 4th string.
Groundswell
Four Star Recruit

Post by Groundswell »

scoducks wrote:If there is a QB that is thinking on transferring it has to be Jonsen. Went from battling for the starting position to 3rd and 4th string.
Yeah, that was a harsh demotion. I always wondered if that was a Yost or Helf move.
DuckedOut
Three Star Recruit

Post by DuckedOut »

ifuwant2 wrote:
scoducks wrote:If there is a QB that is thinking on transferring it has to be Jonsen. Went from battling for the starting position to 3rd and 4th string.
Yeah, that was a harsh demotion. I always wondered if that was a Yost or Helf move.
It was a "He's simply not good enough" move.

Travis is a great kid and a good athlete, but from everything I've heard, the kid can't hit the broad side of a barn. As a result, he can't seem to keep the turnovers down either. There's a reason he got more reps as a WR than as a QB in practice last year, and if he wants to continue playing for Oregon...then I think that's where his future will be.
Groundswell
Four Star Recruit

Post by Groundswell »

DuckedOut wrote:
ifuwant2 wrote:

Travis is a great kid and a good athlete, but from everything I've heard, the kid can't hit the broad side of a barn. As a result, he can't seem to keep the turnovers down either. There's a reason he got more reps as a WR than as a QB in practice last year, and if he wants to continue playing for Oregon...then I think that's where his future will be.
Yes, but at the time the coaches could just say he's number 2 because they wanted to RS Wilson and Herbert. What if Prukop holds the job all season and Herbert doesn't need to see a snap? Instead straight to 4th string with Jonsen. When the coaches made that decision, I'm sure they hoped Prukop would be the Heisman candidate every fan and their Duck had fingers crossed for. Maybe, in their most honest moments, the coaches could see Prukop was not going to be a superstar. But I'm sure they hoped he'd be the guy that kept them their jobs. Instead they chose to trot Herbert out for one second in game 1, just to burn his RS, and then stick him back on the bench until even the family dog was begging for a change at qb. It was a curious turn of events you have to admit.

Essentially, it had to be much more complicated than "he was simply not good enough". Maybe he can't hit the broad side of a barn, but he outplayed Prukop in the Spring Game. I've "heard" a lot of stuff about Oregon quarterbacks over the last year. Not much of it turned out to be right.
DuckedOut
Three Star Recruit

Post by DuckedOut »

ifuwant2 wrote:
DuckedOut wrote:
ifuwant2 wrote:

Yes, but at the time the coaches could just say he's number 2 because they wanted to RS Wilson and Herbert. What if Prukop holds the job all season and Herbert doesn't need to see a snap? Instead straight to 4th string with Jonsen. When the coaches made that decision, I'm sure they hoped Prukop would be the Heisman candidate every fan and their Duck had fingers crossed for. Maybe, in their most honest moments, the coaches could see Prukop was not going to be a superstar. But I'm sure they hoped he'd be the guy that kept them their jobs. Instead they chose to trot Herbert out for one second in game 1, and then stick him back on the bench until even the family dog was begging for a change at qb. It was a curious turn of events you have to admit.
I talked to a guy who was at some of the fall practices and he said that Prukop looked really good during those practices...it quickly became clear though during the season that the reason Prukop was doing so well in practice was because our defense was so freaking bad. Plus, his games against UC Davis and Virginia were solid. He really fell apart once we started playing good teams and the staff recognized that.

The reason Herbert didn't redshirt was because he and Prukop were the two best QBs on the roster. I don't think it was a curious turn of events at all. Justin was going to get snaps one way or another last season.
Groundswell
Four Star Recruit

Post by Groundswell »

DuckedOut wrote:
ifuwant2 wrote:
DuckedOut wrote:
ifuwant2 wrote:

Yes, but at the time the coaches could just say he's number 2 because they wanted to RS Wilson and Herbert. What if Prukop holds the job all season and Herbert doesn't need to see a snap? Instead straight to 4th string with Jonsen. When the coaches made that decision, I'm sure they hoped Prukop would be the Heisman candidate every fan and their Duck had fingers crossed for. Maybe, in their most honest moments, the coaches could see Prukop was not going to be a superstar. But I'm sure they hoped he'd be the guy that kept them their jobs. Instead they chose to trot Herbert out for one second in game 1, and then stick him back on the bench until even the family dog was begging for a change at qb. It was a curious turn of events you have to admit.
I talked to a guy who was at some of the fall practices and he said that Prukop looked really good during those practices...it quickly became clear though during the season that the reason Prukop was doing so well in practice was because our defense was so freaking bad. Plus, his games against UC Davis and Virginia were solid. He really fell apart once we started playing good teams and the staff recognized that.

The reason Herbert didn't redshirt was because he and Prukop were the two best QBs on the roster. I don't think it was a curious turn of events at all. Justin was going to get snaps one way or another last season.
Right. Fair enough. Certainly people were hearing and saying good things about Herbert from the beginning. And I was for burning his redshirt because a coach should let the best players play. But when the coaches put Jonsen 4th on the chart--behind one sure to redshirt, and one debate to redshirt--two weeks prior to the end of Fall Camp, and then play Herbert only to stick him back on the bench until game 5. That was weird. They were all playing the same bad defense in practice. You don't stick an upper class player behind a Redshirt unless there's more than player skill influencing the decision making.
Elduderino
Senior

Post by Elduderino »

DuckedOut wrote: I talked to a guy who was at some of the fall practices and he said that Prukop looked really good during those practices...it quickly became clear though during the season that the reason Prukop was doing so well in practice was because our defense was so freaking bad. Plus, his games against UC Davis and Virginia were solid. He really fell apart once we started playing good teams and the staff recognized that.

I largely agree (RE the two best QBs), though I think that had the defense been even marginally competent Prukop would have remained the starter; especially in light of Helf's deference to experience. I still don't feel that Prukop "lost" us the NU and CU games (over and underthrow notwithstanding), I think you could more accurately point toward poor defensive play and terrible end of game management. This is especially true of the CU game. As a side note, I'm still intrigued by the hypothetical of how the rest of the season would have played out if we had won those two games.

As far as QB next year, I'll be very surprised if it isn't Herbert. People are putting far too much into watching Flowers at USF and forgetting WT's larger background....and that Herb is the most skilled QB on the roster. Folks shouldn't miss the forest for the trees.
AKA: CAgrown
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

buckmarkduck wrote:All made up BS by people. They think because Flowers ran his O so well, WT will want Wilson to be qb. Problem is, Wilson isn't half the qb Herbert is.
^^^

Herbert is a baller, type of guy you get lucky to land. It'd be a sad day if he doesn't start come this fall.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
polyduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by polyduck »

UOducksTK1 wrote:
buckmarkduck wrote:All made up BS by people. They think because Flowers ran his O so well, WT will want Wilson to be qb. Problem is, Wilson isn't half the qb Herbert is.
^^^

Herbert is a baller, type of guy you get lucky to land. It'd be a sad day if he doesn't start come this fall.
I don't know that it'd be "sad day" if Herbert doesn't start, but I know from what I've seen so far, I trust in Coach T, his staff and the process that their going through to make sure that the right kid is under center for our beloved Ducks come Sept 2. But then again...It wouldn't suprise me in the least if Coach T decides to "wipe the slate clean" and go with another starter to begin the season, but then ends up finishing a winning season with #10 under center...because HE IS a baller!

#Bringbackthewings!
duxforlyfe
Three Star Recruit

Post by duxforlyfe »

srsmiley007 wrote:
ifuwant2 wrote:Well, I think it's perfectly normal for people to speculate who the quarterback is going to be when a new coach and system is brought in. Same as at any other position. There is no doubt some dudes at some positions are going to get buried. Obviously, the odds of Herbert getting passed are very small. But I find it weird that some folks can't even talk about it. Like they'll jump off a cliff at the very notion. I mentioned this on the boards before, not sure if here though, but J. Hurts at Alabama, as a true freshman, took his team to the Natty and won the SEC offensive player of the year. On the Alabama boards, there is serious conversation about whether he should ever start another game. They talk about whether Tua can beat him out, and whether a new OC means one of the other kids behind him will be handed the reigns. All because of one game. I mean, it's a real legit conversation over there. And the prevailing opinion seems to trend away from Hurts.

Some of you may remember that I posted the list of National Championship winning quarterbacks over the last 25 years or so, and I'm not sure there was a single NFL big-armed gun-slinging qb in the bunch. I could give a rip if a qb is an NFL talent. I care if we win all our games. Now that's not an argument for or against any kind or quarterback. That's an argument for saying that I don't care who Taggart goes with as long as it wins the most games. I fully expect it to be Herbert.

PS. A "Taggart team" is still 3 years away. Don't know what that's going to look like. Herbert will be a Senior then. Might have already declared and be gone. We will likely have a very different "style" of qb recruit following him. Though our old offense and the Gulf Coast offense are pretty similar, the philosophy behind/guiding them are very different. A whole different ball game. Whole different approach. Some kids will shine. Some won't.
Speculation is one thing but some toads on DTintimated that there was talk of Herbert transferring over transition of offense, etc. Speculation is one thing but this was simply "FAKE NEWS." Hence, great post question.
What do you mean by "toads" ???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
srsmiley007
Four Star Recruit

Post by srsmiley007 »

duxforlyfe wrote:
srsmiley007 wrote:
ifuwant2 wrote:Well, I think it's perfectly normal for people to speculate who the quarterback is going to be when a new coach and system is brought in. Same as at any other position. There is no doubt some dudes at some positions are going to get buried. Obviously, the odds of Herbert getting passed are very small. But I find it weird that some folks can't even talk about it. Like they'll jump off a cliff at the very notion. I mentioned this on the boards before, not sure if here though, but J. Hurts at Alabama, as a true freshman, took his team to the Natty and won the SEC offensive player of the year. On the Alabama boards, there is serious conversation about whether he should ever start another game. They talk about whether Tua can beat him out, and whether a new OC means one of the other kids behind him will be handed the reigns. All because of one game. I mean, it's a real legit conversation over there. And the prevailing opinion seems to trend away from Hurts.

Some of you may remember that I posted the list of National Championship winning quarterbacks over the last 25 years or so, and I'm not sure there was a single NFL big-armed gun-slinging qb in the bunch. I could give a rip if a qb is an NFL talent. I care if we win all our games. Now that's not an argument for or against any kind or quarterback. That's an argument for saying that I don't care who Taggart goes with as long as it wins the most games. I fully expect it to be Herbert.

PS. A "Taggart team" is still 3 years away. Don't know what that's going to look like. Herbert will be a Senior then. Might have already declared and be gone. We will likely have a very different "style" of qb recruit following him. Though our old offense and the Gulf Coast offense are pretty similar, the philosophy behind/guiding them are very different. A whole different ball game. Whole different approach. Some kids will shine. Some won't.
Speculation is one thing but some toads on DTintimated that there was talk of Herbert transferring over transition of offense, etc. Speculation is one thing but this was simply "FAKE NEWS." Hence, great post question.

Seriously??? I'm assuming you jest.

If not, a Toad is a nice way of saying ignorant, troll, who has no real contacts, never played or coached who spreads false information or rumor as fact or inside information. A.K.A - "Fake News"

If by chance you're offended that I'm referring to every member of DT, I'm not. I too was/is a member but have basically left the board since many of those I've known-JHOP, etc. have also left/been fired. What it's like now is a completely different crew.
chapelhillduck
Senior

Post by chapelhillduck »

Said this back when it was Nate vs. Marcus....

I want our QB to be the player that wins the QB competition and works their a$$ off bc he's scared of other players taking his job. Fine if kids transfer bc they couldn't win job, even if they do great somewhere else, bc you need competitors to win championships.

buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

chapelhillduck wrote:Said this back when it was Nate vs. Marcus....

I want our QB to be the player that wins the QB competition and works their a$$ off bc he's scared of other players taking his job. Fine if kids transfer bc they couldn't win job, even if they do great somewhere else, bc you need competitors to win championships.

Nate vs Marcus?
chapelhillduck
Senior

Help me out with the WT/Herbert thing on DT

Post by chapelhillduck »

Shoot, meant Bryan vs. Marcus

(With a dash of Jake)

DecoyDuck
High School Drop Out

Post by DecoyDuck »

srsmiley007 wrote:
duxforlyfe wrote:
srsmiley007 wrote:

Seriously??? I'm assuming you jest.

If not, a Toad is a nice way of saying ignorant, troll, who has no real contacts, never played or coached who spreads false information or rumor as fact or inside information. A.K.A - "Fake News"

If by chance you're offended that I'm referring to every member of DT, I'm not. I too was/is a member but have basically left the board since many of those I've known-JHOP, etc. have also left/been fired. What it's like now is a completely different crew.