Phenom's updated depth chart with Projected E.O.Y starters

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

srsmiley007
Four Star Recruit

Phenom's updated depth chart with Projected E.O.Y starters

Post by srsmiley007 »

All,

My thanks to Phenom for putting together his original spreadsheet. I made a couple of alterations in naming conventions, depth chart, etc.
Irregardless of MUD (from DT - who has no contacts anymore), I think Dye ends up at the WOLB position and don't think he has a great understanding of roles at this leve. Anyway,here's my update and projected Starters by the End-of-Year(E.O.Y.)

Love to hear your thoughts on who will be the Starters by the EOY, etc.

My projected playing time for the new class:
Jaylon Redd
Sampson Niu
J.Johnson III
Jaylon Redd
*Rutger R. - if injuries
*Austen Failo - if injuries
*Darren McNeal- Not sure where but think he'll see the field, he's my outsider

Projected E.O.Y Starters:
Jordan Scott
Deommodore Lenior
Thomas Graham
Adam Stack
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
FlDuckFan
All Pac-12
GM: Orlando Magic GM

Re: Phenom's updated depth chart with Projected E.O.Y starte

Post by FlDuckFan »

I like it I think I disagree with 2 spots.
Unless Jordan Scott is unwordly strong I doubt he's the EOY starter as a true freshman, & my Money is on Brady Breeze finishing the season as a starter.
scoducks
Three Star Recruit

Post by scoducks »

Can Jelks play the drop down position? I can't picture him in coverage at all or playing LB. I would switch Jelks with Elijah George and have Bryson Young play the LB role. I think he is going to blow up this year.
htghunterray
High School Drop Out

Post by htghunterray »

I think that Burmeister will be 3rd string by the end of the year
Groundswell
Four Star Recruit

Post by Groundswell »

Hard to argue with your projections for offense. Maybe some offensive lineman juggling around of positions depending upon what Cristobal likes.

Defense is a bit of a crap shoot. I could easily see Manu, Mondo, and George sitting by year's end. I think it's interesting that you have our two best db's, Springs and Amadi, sitting by the end of the year. But our safeties, a position of terrible weakness, hold their jobs all year. For whatever reason, I'm not buying Graham as a TF starter. He might even RS. Or get moved to WR. I don't know why his hs film gives me that impression, but it does. Happy to be wrong there.

Edit: I also like what scoducks is saying above about Jelks and George.
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

scoducks wrote:Can Jelks play the drop down position? I can't picture him in coverage at all or playing LB. I would switch Jelks with Elijah George and have Bryson Young play the LB role. I think he is going to blow up this year.
Agreed.
DuckedOut
Three Star Recruit

Post by DuckedOut »

FlDuckFan wrote:I like it I think I disagree with 2 spots.
Unless Jordan Scott is unwordly strong I doubt he's the EOY starter as a true freshman, & my Money is on Brady Breeze finishing the season as a starter.
Thing is, he is unworldly strong. Dude is easily the most powerful NG we have on the team. If he gets his weight down, then he'll be playing a lot this upcoming season.

I have to agree with the doubt that Jelks will play OLB, simply because the guy is 6-6 and 270 pounds and has showed he's a better fit as a 3-4 end. Moi or Young will probably compete for that OLB spot in my mind.

I'd also note that we probably won't be playing a 3-4 base on every down, so personnel will change depending on down and distance and game situation. It's obvious, but also something we don't take into consideration often when making depth charts.

I'd also put my money on Burmeister being the backup by seasons end. That kid is gonna be good.
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

Yeah jelks is 6'7 270, he is gonna stay at DE.
Groundswell
Four Star Recruit

Post by Groundswell »

Barring injury, I can't see any reason not to redshirt Burmeister. Let the older quarterbacks mop up this year. If he's good, let him get some separation from Herbert.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

If Springs and UGo or Graham can lock down the CB spot, Lenoir will jump over To safety and be a starter over Schooler.
srsmiley007
Four Star Recruit

Post by srsmiley007 »

scoducks wrote:Can Jelks play the drop down position? I can't picture him in coverage at all or playing LB. I would switch Jelks with Elijah George and have Bryson Young play the LB role. I think he is going to blow up this year.
Absolutely, Jelks, Young, Hollins & Moi can drop into zone. Their height and length is exactly why he, Bryson, Hollins & Moi are great fits for this D. However, the SOLB is really more of a pass rusher but if strength is flipped by motion or we run an Eagle Front they have to handle two-gap responsibilities. The prototype for this position is 6-3 to 6-6 but typically 250-260 in college based upon speed, quickness and how difficult it is to find 280lb men who run a legit 4.7. Because of the need/ability to flip to 2-gap in motion situations, in-play adjustments, we can't throw 220lb players into this role.

Also, on obvious 3rd and long (with substitutions), Leavitt likes to run a 4-2-5 which basically utilizes 2 -DT's/DE's and standup OLB's for which Bryson, Moi, Hollins and Jelks are perfect for. Artemis would have been a great fit for this.

I just don't see how Jelks, Young, Hollins and Moi can hold up as a DE with consistent 2 gap responsibilities. They are just too light but I guess we'll see in the spring game.
polyduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by polyduck »

buckmarkduck wrote:If Springs and UGo or Graham can lock down the CB spot, Lenoir will jump over To safety and be a starter over Schooler.
^....I hope that this happens. I'd prefer to see Lenoir showcase his talents by roving in the secondary versus being locked down on one side of the field. His presence must be "felt" out there by the opposing team.
duckfan96
Senior

Post by duckfan96 »

Don't understand the overlooking of Schooler. I think by the 3rd game breeze and schooler will be starting safeties
duckfbfan15
Three Star Recruit

Post by duckfbfan15 »

Safeties:

Starters: Schooler, Breeze
Backups: Oliver, Juwaan

Corners:

Starters: Ugo, Lenoir

Backups: Springs, Tyree, Graham

GO HARD, GO OREGON, GO DUCKS!
justducky0
Senior

Post by justducky0 »

duckfan96 wrote:Don't understand the overlooking of Schooler. I think by the 3rd game breeze and schooler will be starting safeties

Schooler is not going to get passed up. He was one of the bright spots in last years defense. Dont get caught up in the talk on twitter about what these freshman are going to come in and do. Remember they havent played a down in college football yet. Lets see how they do before we start sayin they are taking spots.