Phenom's updated depth chart with Projected E.O.Y starters

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Phenom
All Pac-12

Re: Phenom's updated depth chart with Projected E.O.Y starte

Post by Phenom »

Has anyone heard anything about Capra or Bathke?
srsmiley007
Four Star Recruit

Post by srsmiley007 »

Phenom wrote:Has anyone heard anything about Capra or Bathke?
Bathke is supposed to be pretty good haven't heard a peep about Capra.
srsmiley007
Four Star Recruit

Post by srsmiley007 »

DuckedOut wrote:
FlDuckFan wrote:I like it I think I disagree with 2 spots.
Unless Jordan Scott is unwordly strong I doubt he's the EOY starter as a true freshman, & my Money is on Brady Breeze finishing the season as a starter.
Thing is, he is unworldly strong. Dude is easily the most powerful NG we have on the team. If he gets his weight down, then he'll be playing a lot this upcoming season.

I have to agree with the doubt that Jelks will play OLB, simply because the guy is 6-6 and 270 pounds and has showed he's a better fit as a 3-4 end. Moi or Young will probably compete for that OLB spot in my mind.

I'd also note that we probably won't be playing a 3-4 base on every down, so personnel will change depending on down and distance and game situation. It's obvious, but also something we don't take into consideration often when making depth charts.

I'd also put my money on Burmeister being the backup by seasons end. That kid is gonna be good.
Entirely possible. I just don't believe that he's even close to 270 and looks a lot closer to 250 with that basketball build but we'll soon find out. it's going to be fun!
duck541
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck541 »

srsmiley007 wrote:
DuckedOut wrote:
Unless Jordan Scott is unwordly strong I doubt he's the EOY starter as a true freshman, & my Money is on Brady Breeze finishing the season as a starter.
Thing is, he is unworldly strong. Dude is easily the most powerful NG we have on the team. If he gets his weight down, then he'll be playing a lot this upcoming season.

I have to agree with the doubt that Jelks will play OLB, simply because the guy is 6-6 and 270 pounds and has showed he's a better fit as a 3-4 end. Moi or Young will probably compete for that OLB spot in my mind.

I'd also note that we probably won't be playing a 3-4 base on every down, so personnel will change depending on down and distance and game situation. It's obvious, but also something we don't take into consideration often when making depth charts.

I'd also put my money on Burmeister being the backup by seasons end. That kid is gonna be good.
Entirely possible. I just don't believe that he's even close to 270 and looks a lot closer to 250 with that basketball build but we'll soon find out. it's going to be fun!
Well he was listed at 260 last year, 268 the year before, and 253 when he signed out of HS. So assuming the coaches want him at DE I don't think 270 or even a little more is unrealistic.
DuckedOut
Three Star Recruit

Post by DuckedOut »

Phenom wrote:Has anyone heard anything about Capra or Bathke?
Bathke was ready to burn his redshirt if necessary. The old staff really liked him.
srsmiley007
Four Star Recruit

Post by srsmiley007 »

duck541 wrote:
srsmiley007 wrote:
DuckedOut wrote:

Well he was listed at 260 last year, 268 the year before, and 253 when he signed out of HS. So assuming the coaches want him at DE I don't think 270 or even a little more is unrealistic.
Yeah, I'm going against the grain on this one and letting my coaching roots override the rumor's about position, etc. I guess we'll see, but I still believe he's lighter than what's listed.

I also looked at our depth, film of Leavitt's D, and other personnel rumors (Dye to ILB) sure makes a lot of sense to have Jelks/Bryson at SOLB and Hollins/Moi at WOLB. The SOLB in several of the 3-4 fronts has to be able to handle 2-gap depending upon fast-play, strength shifts, etc.
If they keep him at DE, I hope he can pack on 15-20 lbs of good weight. He'll need it if he's 2-gapping on 70% of the downs.

Don't doubt the Burmeister take, the kid is incredibly accurate ( I think he was 71% in 2016) and makes all the throws (fade, nipple-up, rail, etc.) Doubt they'll burn his redshirt but imagine that depends upon TJ and Wilson. Personally, I thought coming out of HS that Wilson would eventually transition to WR because of his accuracy challenges (less than 60% in HS). Was kind of hoping that Burmeister would shine and possibly help usher Wilson into a WR role. Kid is fast, big and could likely earn a starting role at receiver with his tools and offensive acumen.