Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Re: Willie Taggart interview with KEZI's Kristen Rodgers

Post by Tray Dub »

greenyellow wrote:
Tray Dub wrote:
greenyellow wrote:
Tray Dub wrote:What exactly did Grief lie about? I know this is about the rhabdo thing but I don't know specifically what Taggart's beef is.
Taggart explained to Greif the full chain of events and what the staff did, but Greif didn't include any of that in his stories. That's what has left Taggart miffed.
Right I got that part, I'm more looking for the details of what exactly Greif omitted and whether it really mitigated anything.
He omitted what they were actually doing during the training and the conditions they were done under. He instead just stuck to his "military-style" training BS that made the workouts seem very draconian.
Interesting. Do you know what training they were actually doing?
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

They were doing basic body weight exercises that needed to be done in a certain cadence in a certain amount of time. Greif omitted the fact that players could step out at any time and that not every player actually completed them.
Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

greenyellow wrote:They were doing basic body weight exercises that needed to be done in a certain cadence in a certain amount of time. Greif omitted the fact that players could step out at any time and that not every player actually completed them.
Perfect, thank you.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

They were doing basic body weight exercises that needed to be done in a certain cadence in a certain amount of time. Greif omitted the fact that players could step out at any time and that not every player actually completed them.
Sounds like the kind of things we did at the MMA gym I worked out at. Those workouts were brutal. I barely even use free weights anymore -- you can do so much more with high-rep body weight exercises. (I obviously don't play football though, ha.)
Willie Taggart is a dick.
wlduck
Sophomore

Post by wlduck »

http://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/index.s ... pital.html

First off, suggesting reporters be banned is weak. It suggests that the program has a reason to hide things. Second, read Grief's story. Certainly some may not care for quoting unnamed sources, but he also quotes school officials and players who give their sides. Unlike Canzano, he offers no opinions, just a reporting of the story. Personally I think Grief is a fair and thorough reporter. I'm more inclined to say that fans (and coaches) should stop being so sensitive about what amounts to straight reporting on stories.

I like Taggart allot. He's incredibly frank in that interview about his feeling that the players didn't like each other last year. That's pretty stunning to admit, and his willingness to address it publicly is in stark contrast to previous coaches. I don't mind his defending his side of the conditioning story, and I think he really believes little or nothing wrong was done. But his administration did, and I would have liked it more had he started that defense with a small amount of contrition for it. But I'm sure most here disagree.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

pezsez1 wrote:
Sounds like the kind of things we did at the MMA gym I worked out at. Those workouts were brutal. I barely even use free weights anymore -- you can do so much more with high-rep body weight exercises. (I obviously don't play football though, ha.)
No, the day it happened they litterly only did push-ups and sit-ups. The goal was for everyone to do 10 perfect ones of each, and guys kept not being able to do it. Unfortunately the guys who ended up in the hospital, were able to do it but they continued and pushed themselves to far. If everyone would have done it right the first time, we would have never had this issue.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

wlduck wrote:http://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/index.s ... pital.html

First off, suggesting reporters be banned is weak. It suggests that the program has a reason to hide things. Second, read Grief's story. Certainly some may not care for quoting unnamed sources, but he also quotes school officials and players who give their sides. Unlike Canzano, he offers no opinions, just a reporting of the story. Personally I think Grief is a fair and thorough reporter. I'm more inclined to say that fans (and coaches) should stop being so sensitive about what amounts to straight reporting on stories.

I like Taggart allot. He's incredibly frank in that interview about his feeling that the players didn't like each other last year. That's pretty stunning to admit, and his willingness to address it publicly is in stark contrast to previous coaches. I don't mind his defending his side of the conditioning story, and I think he really believes little or nothing wrong was done. But his administration did, and I would have liked it more had he started that defense with a small amount of contrition for it. But I'm sure most here disagree.
Kelly banned some reporters, was he weak?
UofDuck
Senior

Post by UofDuck »

Coach T's problem with the reporting was not what was included in the report but rather what the reporter conveniently left out, which painted a different picture. And that is the slant that peeved Coach T. It appears that the 3 players went out to dinner with others that night... meaning it wasn't as if they collapsed on floor near death.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

The goal was for everyone to do 10 perfect ones of each, and guys kept not being able to do it. Unfortunately the guys who ended up in the hospital, were able to do it but they continued and pushed themselves to far. If everyone would have done it right the first time, we would have never had this issue.
The coach should have known when enough was enough. Again, rhabdo isn't something that just kind of happens. And what did this "perfect" pushup entail? Was the coach being overly picky trying to prove a point? This just doesn't add up.
Groundswell
Four Star Recruit

Post by Groundswell »

Taggart has a right to be peeved that he wasn't quoted in the article since Grief talked to him. And the Grief piece had a gotcha slant. But when 3 kids go to the hospital for a week it's a situation. Taggart should probably quit complaining about it. I always cringe a bit when he starts in because mistakes were clearly made.
Duckenstein
Freshman

Post by Duckenstein »

ifuwant2 wrote:Taggart has a right to be peeved that he wasn't quoted in the article since Grief talked to him. And the Grief piece had a gotcha slant. But when 3 kids go to the hospital for a week it's a situation. Taggart should probably quit complaining about it. I always cringe a bit when he starts in because mistakes were clearly made.
Mistakes were made.

Greif is a douche.

They can both be true.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

Taggart should probably quit complaining about it. I always cringe a bit when he starts in because mistakes were clearly made.
Yeah, this.

I don't care what kind of exercises the players were doing when they developed rhabdo -- it was obviously way too much. Three in a group of 10 players? Seriously, that's messed up. You can't "tough guy talk" your way out of that paper bag.

I like Taggart a lot, and I have the feeling I'll like him even more once the season starts. But he really needs to just shut up about the media, especially when the coverage was fair. It makes him look like an amateur who can't handle scrutiny. I get it that he didn't like all the bad headlines, but rather than blame the media how about blame his buddy for getting a DUI like two days later.
scoducks
Three Star Recruit

Post by scoducks »

pezsez1 wrote:
Taggart should probably quit complaining about it. I always cringe a bit when he starts in because mistakes were clearly made.
Yeah, this.

I don't care what kind of exercises the players were doing when they developed rhabdo -- it was obviously way too much. Three in a group of 10 players? Seriously, that's messed up. You can't "tough guy talk" your way out of that paper bag.

I like Taggart a lot, and I have the feeling I'll like him even more once the season starts. But he really needs to just shut up about the media, especially when the coverage was fair. It makes him look like an amateur who can't handle scrutiny. I get it that he didn't like all the bad headlines, but rather than blame the media how about blame his buddy for getting a DUI like two days later.
Taggart has stated that if they were tired or if it was too much they were welcome to take breaks. So how can it be his fault if the players refused to quit? Wasn't it also stated from some people in the program that Brenner and Poutasi were also some of the most out of shape players?I respect your opinion, but it can go both ways on who's fault it is.

Would you consider Jim Harbaugh an amateur since he just blasted Paul Finebaum on twitter regarding the criticism of hiring Michael Johnson SR at that time?Or what about when Nick Saban a few years back during a press conference slammed the media about how Alabama is perceived?
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

I don't think he's an amateur. I am saying him criticizing the media over this, at all, is amateurish. Blame his coaches or the players. The media didn't give them rhabdo.
Duckenstein
Freshman

Post by Duckenstein »

pezsez1 wrote:I don't think he's an amateur. I am saying him criticizing the media over this, at all, is amateurish. Blame his coaches or the players. The media didn't give them rhabdo.
No, but the media are generally desperate, savage hyenas without a moral compass.

Omitting the other side of the story is the same as lying.

The S and C coach should have made sure that out-of-shape players started to work out slowly. It was a coaching failure.

I'd give him a bit of a pass because he's probably not used to working with guys that haven't lifted anything except cheeseburgers and milkshakes, but the buck definitely stops with him and Taggart.