Oregon is NOT Running a 3-4 Defense

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

FishDuck
Three Star Recruit

Oregon is NOT Running a 3-4 Defense

Post by FishDuck »

Hello All,

Oregon is NOT running a 3-4 Defense as their base defense after all, and the link below can help explain it in a couple of paragraphs.

http://fishduck.com/2017/04/oregons-foo ... 4-defense/

You know the drill; read over there, and comment here. I look forward to discussing it with everyone....

FishDuck.com is back after a break with a new focus that will be helpful for fans wanting to know more about the new Oregon offense and defense. We have only one high-quality article a day-seven days a week, with three of them being written by coaches; men who are, or have been paid to coach football. I have learned a ton from them and hope you enjoy their contributions as well.

Cheers.

FishDuck
duckduckgoose
Five Star Recruit

Re: Oregon is NOT Running a 3-4 Defense

Post by duckduckgoose »

Great read. The best thing about the new staff is the opening of practices. I loved reading Fishducks practice reports from the Belotti era. The picture of Burmeister almost ruined my day seeing an Oregon qb in #17 again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

We hadn't heard of Leiato or Oliver being moved to OLB so was kind of wondering if Oregon was running a 3-3-5 based on the depth chart that people observed at the scrimmage.
FishDuck
Three Star Recruit

Post by FishDuck »

As we stated in the article--it is as listed at GoDucks.com and we provide the link to it. There is even a two-deep for the new "Duck" linebacker/safety hybrid position.

FD
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

The most encouraging aspect of this is the enthusiasm and forward thinking it shows in the coaches. Oregon, under Chip was heralded as being innovative with a capital I. This isn't that, but having a defense that is planning and executing, looking for ways it can exploit an opposing defense and its own players, is something to be very excited about.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Merganzer wrote:The most encouraging aspect of this is the enthusiasm and forward thinking it shows in the coaches. Oregon, under Chip was heralded as being innovative with a capital I. This isn't that, but having a defense that is planning and executing, looking for ways it can exploit an opposing defense and its own players, is something to be very excited about.
I think Leavitt did something similar at CU so I guess seeing it implemented at Oregon shouldn't be too unexpected.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

greenyellow wrote:
Merganzer wrote:The most encouraging aspect of this is the enthusiasm and forward thinking it shows in the coaches. Oregon, under Chip was heralded as being innovative with a capital I. This isn't that, but having a defense that is planning and executing, looking for ways it can exploit an opposing defense and its own players, is something to be very excited about.
I think Leavitt did something similar at CU so I guess seeing it implemented at Oregon shouldn't be too unexpected.
Agree about Leavitt doing it before, and successfully, makes it even more likely to work here.
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

I'm all for exploiting an opposing team's weaknesses as long as we don't compromise who we are. That's when "overthinking" happens. I don't remember the last we had an identity on defense though lol.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

Phenom wrote:I'm all for exploiting an opposing team's weaknesses as long as we don't compromise who we are. That's when "overthinking" happens. I don't remember the last we had an identity on defense though lol.
Great point about overthinking. In this case though I understood it to mean that the defense would set up in response to how the offense is aligned. This is a positive move, not overthinking. As for identity, last season's definitely had one, and we hope it is shed immediately!
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

The 3-3-5 is basically for when opposing teams go to 3 WR or more sets since you really don't LBs having to cover WRs, which several of Oregon's LBs complained about when discussing the problems with Hoke's defense. They'll shift into a more basic 3-4 when teams go to heavier 2 TE or FB sets. In obvious passing downs, they're likely shift to a 4-2-5.
Joe4Ducks
One Star Recruit

Post by Joe4Ducks »

Thanks Fishduck
Zyme
All Pac-12
GM: New York Knicks GM

Post by Zyme »

Joe4Ducks wrote:Thanks Fishduck
+1, you a great font of wisdom.
DASL1 Rings: '93, '94

K's HOF:
Mark "Wholly Mammoth" Eaton | Retired 2002, age 44: 24 min/8pts/8reb/1stl/2.5 blks/1 TO
Michael "Sweet Home" Ansley | Retired 2007, age 42: 33 min/16pts/8 reb/1.5stl/.5 blks/.5 TO Lifetime .550 shooting %
Gheorghe "Ghiţă (Ghitza, Little George)" Mureșan | Retired 2008, age 36: 35Min/16.2pt/12.2reb/2.1ast/1.6stl/2.9blk/1.3TO (.461/.715/.000)
ducks5ever
Four Star Recruit

Post by ducks5ever »

This is kinda off topic, but what are everyone's thoughts of the inside linebackers being smaller than the OLB's? I know Troy Dye has a very high football IQ, but he's only 225 pounds..... I think we played Apelu inside during games last year and that did not end well....
duck541
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck541 »

ducks5ever wrote:This is kinda off topic, but what are everyone's thoughts of the inside linebackers being smaller than the OLB's? I know Troy Dye has a very high football IQ, but he's only 225 pounds..... I think we played Apelu inside during games last year and that did not end well....
Don't see an issue with it, it's pretty much the norm with a 3-4 or whatever variation of it we're running. The OLBs need to be big and strong enough to set the edge, and moving Dye inside frees him of that responsibility and will allow him to roam a bit more. Colorado's ILBs were about the same size last season at 230 lbs and it wasn't an issue for them.