The Taggart Unveiling: What I’m Watching for...

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

FishDuck
Three Star Recruit

The Taggart Unveiling: What I’m Watching for...

Post by FishDuck »

There are a number of things on offense and defense that I personally will be watching for at the Oregon Spring Game, and below is the article with my list. Do read over there and comment here as usual, and I would be curious as to what other aspects YOU will be watching for at the Spring Game.

http://fishduck.com/2017/04/the-taggart ... ching-for/
duckfan22
Senior

Re: The Taggart Unveiling: What I’m Watching for...

Post by duckfan22 »

Nice article Fish....
I will be looking at some of the same things you are..
1)The Jet sweep is something ive always thought would be much more of a key
play then weve used.
2)Qb play. Is Jonsen really pushing Herbert
3)How often do they go down field in the passing game.
4)Will be watching if the corners press the receivers at the line and how often they
come off the corner and rush.
5)How much pressure can the d-line put on the qb
6)Line backer play.. this is the one area of improvement ive been hoping for
FishDuck
Three Star Recruit

Post by FishDuck »

From what I saw in the scrimmage/practices in Eugene and in Portland....

--Jonsen played great, and while I would still start Herbert...if Justin gets hurt--we could WIN with Jonsen, which is not something I could say about back-up QBs in recent years.

--Arroyo is VERY aggressive with the passing offense and in their bowl game went deep a ton of times....which matches up well with Nelson and Carrington. He was also shredding the defense later in the Oregon practices with play-action passes, of which I believe will become the heart of the Oregon passing offense. It is tough enough to defend a number of running plays in separate directions, but slip the TE past the LBs.....? Deadly.

--I saw some corner blitzes in the practices, and we WILL play up-close press coverage because Leavitt wants to blitz a lot. To make that happen? The National Defensive Back Coach of the Year, Charles Clark, was convinced to join us. He is anal in technique and details and is young...early 30s, and has a big future in front of him.

--Leavitt is taking personal responsibility for the ILBs, so I KNOW the performance will be better. Who knows...they may actually attack the correct shoulder of oncoming blockers this year!

These are all things I've written about already, or will be covering further in upcoming articles. I write an article every week to be published every Sunday morning, and will have an analysis article out on Tuesday morning.

Cheers!

FD
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

Thanks fish. The offensive packages look like a lot of fun to watch.

As a defense guy, I'm wondering about what we will do against power teams(USC, Stanford, UCLA, Not sure what Wyoming is running?, and UW will sometimes go power as well). My guess is we will see more 3-4 against those types of teams. I love the 3-3-5 against what MOST teams in the Pac-12 run. Matches up way better against Wazzu/Arizona/ASU/Cal etc. as an every down defense.

Curious to see where we take it against more "traditional" offenses.
duckfan22
Senior

Post by duckfan22 »

Another play out of the fly i see is the slot back running the wheel route.
So many options out of that to keep the defense guessing. I really like what i
have read and cant wait to see tomorrow..
UofDuck
Senior

Post by UofDuck »

I want to see if Scott can bend the pocket
FishDuck
Three Star Recruit

Post by FishDuck »

GrantDuck....since Leavitt was in the Pac-12 and has faced traditional teams already--I am sure he has a plan for a "heavy" package to offset what the opposing offense is doing. He is not going to sit-still and have the team kill you over-and-over as Helfrich/Hoke did against Oregon State in the civil war. Not making an adjustment in that game still bugs me...

duckfan22....I LOVE that idea as Nelson or Brooks-James could run a wheel route quite well! And that would spread the defense out further to allow more room on the opposite side for the Counter, etc. I am SURE we will see that play sometime in the season next year.

Good stuff guys--thanks.

FD
GoDucksIn09
Senior

Post by GoDucksIn09 »

I will try to catch a replay of the spring game but am more curious about the fall and whether Oregon can tackle.