Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Re: Chip or Willie?

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Coaching records
Chip: 46–7 33–3 (conf)
Tag: 40–45 31-25 (conf)

I think Taggart can put together a better staff and probably recruit better, but until he shows he can win, chip by a mile.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

UOducksTK1 wrote:Coaching records
Chip: 46–7 33–3 (conf)
Tag: 40–45 31-25 (conf)

I think Taggart can put together a better staff and probably recruit better, but until he shows he can win, chip by a mile.

But Chip when became head coach and put his offense in at full speed, at the time nobody knew how to stop it......at that time. Willie has not coached one live play as a Ducks coach, I know. But I don't think Chip could have ever recruited like Willie and staff are. Chip got many of his wins because no other teams could stop his offense and Helf happened to recruit a little known QB out of Hawaii who only had one other offer, that kid got many wins for his team. The poll, while a little surprising, reflects my thoughts at this point, Willie by a nose only because of his performance so for and his potential and I don't think Chip can "reinvent the wheel.....again".
brich75
Senior

Post by brich75 »

UofDuck wrote:
brich75 wrote:Easy it's chip, he made us a powerhouse in his time here. Taking us to goeghts we have never witnessed.

Willie hasn't done anything. We should revisit this poll next year
I see your point because he hasn't coached one game snap yet, but you can't say he hasn't done anything yet. Coach T wasn't a fan favorite when announced, yet the guy has picked up the pieces of a broken team and bruised fan-base coming off a nightmare season and started to rebuild both by shear determination. He's assembled a very nice staff and got after it in recruiting. Our 2018 class is near top 10 coming off a 4 win season. One can argue that he, and his staff have pushed the guys too hard to date, but this team had gotten soft. You could see it in their play last year. I think softness is a thing in the past. All of his efforts so far have produced real and tangible results and will hopefully point to game success. They sure seems so. It would be short-sighted to ignore what he's done to date and that bodes well for all of us.
I agree with everything you say here. Which is why I said we should revisit in a year. The way Willie T has brought the players together. The way he engauges the fans and the way he recruits. I could see him being the best we have ever had. Tools are certainly there. It's just a wait and see at this point. But for now chip is still the best we have had, at least the most successful on the field.
Oregonian
Four Star Recruit

Post by Oregonian »

duckduckgoose wrote: Chip took over a perennial 10-11 win team in a much weaker league than it is now. Willie has assembled a staff that if he can keep it together for 5 or six seasons can take us back to that kind of winning. And like others have said he is possibly going to bring in a class rated higher than Chip ever did in his first year and a team with a losing record. I really don't see the coaching staff staying in place long term, but have faith that he can bring in great pieces to replace anyone that leaves.
Dude, what? Before Chip Kelly joined the staff, Oregon had three 10-wins seasons total. Even if you want to give Bellotti full credit for hitting 10-wins in '08, Kelly's four 10-win seasons are as good of a total as all Oregon coaches preceding him combined.
Alan wrote: Not directed at you oregonian, just using your post as a base, I little shocked this vote has been a deadlock since the beginning. I went with Willie simply based on what he has accomplished so far. Assembling of the nations best coaching staffs , who all seem happy to be here. But what does it for me is the communication he and his staff has with the fan base, via twitter. No coach before him has come close to this. Also he has thrown open the front door for former players, a big step toward recruiting, plus I like seeing Barner, LaMike, Marcus...etc hanging around the team. Now if Willie goes 2-10 this season we may have to vote again...... he'll get 8 wins this season and a big step forward for the D, not a great D just a big step forward.
Sorry, none of these things are accomplishments. The staff we assembled means nothing until they put a product on the field. And nobody really seemed to give a damn how open and communicative the staff was when we were competing under Chip.

The only thing Taggart has under his belt is one recruiting class; all members of said class can still bust. This shouldn't even be a question until next year. Willie Taggart has accomplished literally nothing so far as an Oregon coach.
QuackininBama
All Pac-12

Post by QuackininBama »

brich75 wrote:Easy it's chip, he made us a powerhouse in his time here. Taking us to goeghts we have never witnessed.

Willie hasn't done anything. We should revisit this poll next year
^^THIS^^ Willie hasn't won a single game yet. Premature poll although I get the vibe of the question.
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

I think the answer is Chip, but would we feel as good about the state of our program if Chip was hired instead of Willie? I'm not sure.
DuckMastaFunk
Five Star Recruit

Post by DuckMastaFunk »

Alan wrote:
Oregonian wrote:How is this even a question? Willie's greatest season anywhere is still only 10 wins.
Not directed at you oregonian, just using your post as a base, I little shocked this vote has been a deadlock since the beginning. I went with Willie simply based on what he has accomplished so far. Assembling of the nations best coaching staffs , who all seem happy to be here. But what does it for me is the communication he and his staff has with the fan base, via twitter. No coach before him has come close to this. Also he has thrown open the front door for former players, a big step toward recruiting, plus I like seeing Barner, LaMike, Marcus...etc hanging around the team. Now if Willie goes 2-10 this season we may have to vote again...... he'll get 8 wins this season and a big step forward for the D, not a great D just a big step forward.

I'm really excited about what Taggart has done in his short time here. At the time it was reported he'd be joining the ducks I saw Taggart as a solid, but not a slam-dunk hire. So far he has proved me wrong and I'm loving being wrong!

That said, if we're being objective fans, we should realize what we posses now is one big, beautiful, shiny, fantastic off-season championship. If off-season championships always translated to real championships Sark would be president of the world by now. I like our direction, but will be cautiously optimistic until we see on-the-field results.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

Gotta go with Chip. Best coach in program history.

That said, let's revisit this in a year after we've had a chance to see Taggart coach some games. Like others here, WT has mostly exceeded my expectations thus far and I'm optimistic for the fall!
Willie Taggart is a dick.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

Well Chip graduated as an A+ Valedictorian. Willie hasn't taken his first mid-term yet and the Freshmen hazing didn't go well.

A fairer poll question at this point is Willie or Coach Row Your Boat?
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

GrandpaDuck wrote:Well Chip graduated as an A+ Valedictorian. Willie hasn't taken his first mid-term yet and the Freshmen hazing didn't go well.

A fairer poll question at this point is Willie or Coach Row Your Boat?
Row your boat never had a chance, but yes as I said, the poll would be a bit more fair after next season....does Chip open up to the fans :lol:
duckfan22
Senior

Post by duckfan22 »

To be fair you cant compare the two at this time. Chip got the job at a school with
first class everything resources galore compliments of uncle Phil. Willie has been coaching
at schools with less resources. And has had to build from the bottom up. Chip had skill on
the team and was able to win straight away. Chip was also innovative and very few did what
we did during his reign. Now everyone for the most part is doing some version of his offense.
We need to give Willie time to actually coach a game here. All we have is film from south florida,
spring practice and a spring game. We can see that he can recruit. He has the ability to bring in
top assistants. There will always be comparissions between the two even if Willie were to win a
national championship. Chip will always have a soft spot in all of our hearts always will. But lets let
Willie prove himselt as a game coach.
wlduck
Sophomore

Post by wlduck »

"It aint the X's and the O's, it's the Jimmies and the Joes".

While Chip was able to disprove that old Bobby Bowden saw for a few years (and what years they were!) football has mostly caught up with him. Taggert gets recruiting like no coach we have had- ever- and everyone knows how Chip felt about it. I agree he still unproven as a coach, but I'll take the recruiter.
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

duckfan22 wrote:To be fair you cant compare the two at this time. Chip got the job at a school with
first class everything resources galore compliments of uncle Phil. Willie has been coaching
at schools with less resources. And has had to build from the bottom up. Chip had skill on
the team and was able to win straight away. Chip was also innovative and very few did what
we did during his reign. Now everyone for the most part is doing some version of his offense.
We need to give Willie time to actually coach a game here. All we have is film from south florida,
spring practice and a spring game. We can see that he can recruit. He has the ability to bring in
top assistants. There will always be comparissions between the two even if Willie were to win a
national championship. Chip will always have a soft spot in all of our hearts always will. But lets let
Willie prove himselt as a game coach.
This ^^^
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
mrpd21
Five Star Recruit

Post by mrpd21 »

Speaking of Chip, going to work for the 4 letter network as an analyst. I think his insight will be fantastic, I'll be very interested to observe his interactions with others on set.

http://oregon.247sports.com/Bolt/Report ... t-52909861
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

There is room to improve over Chip, I suppose. He never won a championship (unless you count the ref debacle vs. Auburn), and he left the team in the hole in terms of sanctions that appear to have hurt us more than we realized. All things taken into account though, he is the best coach in Oregon history, and Willie shouldn't reasonably be mentioned in the same breath as him at this stage. Some are saying to re-evaluate next year. If he has the same accomplishments as Chip in the next decade, I would be very surprised. If the question is which was more qualified to turn Oregon around in 2017, I would still say Chip, but certainly Willie has brought an enthusiasm back to the program that was missing. We'll see if that translates into wins.

A more interesting question for me is whether Willie does better than Helfrich would have done if both coaches get Leavitt as the DC. For me, defense has clearly been the problem, and my big question for the upcoming season is if Taggart's offense can be as good as it has been under Helfrich.