49%
Willie
51%

Total votes: 63
Alan
Senior

Chip or Willie?

Post by Alan »

The hazards of the off season, lol. After a few months of Willie and the saga of hiring a new head coach and the firing of Helf.... looking back, if you could have the decision to make months ago, who would you want as head coach? Chip or Willie? Valid question, when there was a hint of Chip back there was a lot of excitement...... but now who?
Merganzer
Senior

Re: Chip or Willie?

Post by Merganzer »

I voted Willie. Of course we have no evidence of success for Willie, but I didn't like the chances of Chip repeating his glory years again. We've all heard the line of not wanting to be the guy that followed the legend, uh, Mark. Well, how about being the guy who follows himself?
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

I am very happy with Willie. I think he is better than chip in a lot of off field areas and brings a certain fervor to the team that we severely lacked. All that said, chip is more proven as an in game coach so far. If Willie can call a game with the speed and knowledge that chip could than I think he would be able to make a case for a better hire.

TLDR: Chip's more proven but Willie probably had more potential.
duckfan22
Senior

Post by duckfan22 »

Time to look forward. Chips not coming back. Helfrich isn't coming back. It's his team now. He's got fans excited. More openness. Recruiting looks like a huge step up.
Groundswell
Four Star Recruit

Post by Groundswell »

Chip is dead to me.
brich75
Senior

Post by brich75 »

Easy it's chip, he made us a powerhouse in his time here. Taking us to goeghts we have never witnessed.

Willie hasn't done anything. We should revisit this poll next year
thomas time
Senior

Post by thomas time »

yep it's Chip for now since he's proven, we'll see after a year or two with Willie
mattc94
Four Star Recruit

Post by mattc94 »

What Chip did here might never be repeated but it's time to move on. I pick Willie.
UofDuck
Senior

Post by UofDuck »

brich75 wrote:Easy it's chip, he made us a powerhouse in his time here. Taking us to goeghts we have never witnessed.

Willie hasn't done anything. We should revisit this poll next year
I see your point because he hasn't coached one game snap yet, but you can't say he hasn't done anything yet. Coach T wasn't a fan favorite when announced, yet the guy has picked up the pieces of a broken team and bruised fan-base coming off a nightmare season and started to rebuild both by shear determination. He's assembled a very nice staff and got after it in recruiting. Our 2018 class is near top 10 coming off a 4 win season. One can argue that he, and his staff have pushed the guys too hard to date, but this team had gotten soft. You could see it in their play last year. I think softness is a thing in the past. All of his efforts so far have produced real and tangible results and will hopefully point to game success. They sure seems so. It would be short-sighted to ignore what he's done to date and that bodes well for all of us.
Oregonian
Four Star Recruit

Post by Oregonian »

How is this even a question? Willie's greatest season anywhere is still only 10 wins.
jimmy12
Senior

Post by jimmy12 »

On what are we judging? Looks? Height?
duckfan96
Senior

Post by duckfan96 »

Bellotti ...he hired chip. :lol:
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

Oregonian wrote:How is this even a question? Willie's greatest season anywhere is still only 10 wins.
Not directed at you oregonian, just using your post as a base, I little shocked this vote has been a deadlock since the beginning. I went with Willie simply based on what he has accomplished so far. Assembling of the nations best coaching staffs , who all seem happy to be here. But what does it for me is the communication he and his staff has with the fan base, via twitter. No coach before him has come close to this. Also he has thrown open the front door for former players, a big step toward recruiting, plus I like seeing Barner, LaMike, Marcus...etc hanging around the team. Now if Willie goes 2-10 this season we may have to vote again...... he'll get 8 wins this season and a big step forward for the D, not a great D just a big step forward.
Duck4Ever
Three Star Recruit

Post by Duck4Ever »

The question is who do you want right now. Taggart of course. Chip is not even interested in coaching college football. And, he would not be able to jump in and recruit like Taggart is/has.
duckduckgoose
Five Star Recruit

Post by duckduckgoose »

Oregonian wrote:How is this even a question? Willie's greatest season anywhere is still only 10 wins.
Chip took over a perennial 10-11 win team in a much weaker league than it is now. Willie has assembled a staff that if he can keep it together for 5 or six seasons can take us back to that kind of winning. And like others have said he is possibly going to bring in a class rated higher than Chip ever did in his first year and a team with a losing record. I really don't see the coaching staff staying in place long term, but have faith that he can bring in great pieces to replace anyone that leaves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk