What are your expectations?

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

How many wins are you hoping to see this year?

6-7
14%
8-9
71%
10 or more
14%

Total votes: 69
Phenom
All Pac-12

Re: What are your expectations?

Post by Phenom »

nogerO wrote:
buckmarkduck wrote:
UofDuck wrote:You think we lose to NB at home? With a new QB? I don't think so.

And I imagine that Vegas will have us as a solid favorite over WY.
It's pretty obvious he hasn't looked at these other teams. Nebraska will be breaking in a new QB, all new RB group, they might be thinner than us at TE and they lose 70% of their production at WR.
Solid favorite at UW??? We'll see. Pretty sure our lucky streak against ASU is about to burst and Utah s*** the bed against us last year and will be looking for revenge. Nebraska will be a toss up or loss. Guess we all have our opinions. Pretty obvious some like their own better than others. :o
Where did you get solid favorite over UW?
Kimber45
Three Star Recruit

Post by Kimber45 »

Voted 6-7.

Honestly, I don't care if we only win five games in WT's first year. He and his staff get a pass in year one. So far I really like what I'm seeing in recruiting as well as the Spring Game.
OregonFan4Life wrote:Honestly, I just want to see a defense with a pulse. That'll matter more to me than number of wins.
This. Last year I went all in with a "how can the defense possibly be worse" position and lost every chip.
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

Phenom wrote:
nogerO wrote:
buckmarkduck wrote:
UofDuck wrote:You think we lose to NB at home? With a new QB? I don't think so.

And I imagine that Vegas will have us as a solid favorite over WY.
It's pretty obvious he hasn't looked at these other teams. Nebraska will be breaking in a new QB, all new RB group, they might be thinner than us at TE and they lose 70% of their production at WR.
Solid favorite at UW??? We'll see. Pretty sure our lucky streak against ASU is about to burst and Utah s*** the bed against us last year and will be looking for revenge. Nebraska will be a toss up or loss. Guess we all have our opinions. Pretty obvious some like their own better than others. :o
Where did you get solid favorite over UW?
Uofduck said Oregon would be a solid favorite at Wyoming
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

Oh...UW means something else to me.
Groundswell
Four Star Recruit

Post by Groundswell »

I'm kind of in the "it depends" column on some of those early games. If the offense can master the new playbook quickly and efficiently, then I can see us winning most the early games. But breaking in a new offense takes time. Could be up to four games. That levels the playing field a bit for NB, Wazzu, Wyoming, and ASU. If we are sluggish against NB and Wyoming, then we could easily lose. Then we have a number of games that are toss ups. The only way we win 9-10 games is if the offense comes out clicking from game 1 and the defense has no major injury issues. That's a lot to ask for. Nebraska might be breaking in a bunch of new players, but we'll be breaking in a new offense and new defense. If I remember right, ASU always starts the season strong, but then fades down the stretch. Wazzu has our number. And Wyoming road games are tough. It's not as easy a schedule as some folks like to think.
RanDux
Senior

Post by RanDux »

I'm "hoping" for 8-9 wins, but my "expectations" are that we will only win 6-7 wins. With the weak recruiting classes under Helf and all the departures we have experienced, the cupboard is just too bare. I just watched a replay of the Rose Bowl win over Florida State amd was really impressed with how many quality players we have lost over the past several years without replacing them with the incoming classes. WT will address that with his strong recruiting, but it is going to take time. He got way too late a start to make much of a difference with the first incoming class. It is going to take time.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

nogerO wrote:
Southern Utah Thunderbirds WIN 1-0
Autzen Stadium, Eugene, OR
Sep. 9

Nebraska Cornhuskers W 2-0
Sep. 16

at Wyoming Cowboys W3-0
War Memorial Stadium, Laramie, WY
Sep. 23

at Arizona State Sun Devils L 3-1
Sun Devil Stadium, Tempe, AZ
Sep. 30

California Golden Bears W 4-1
Oct. 7

Washington State Cougars w 5-1
Oct. 14

at Stanford Cardinal L 5-2
Stanford Stadium, Stanford, CA
Oct. 21

at UCLA Bruins L 5-3
Rose Bowl, Pasadena, CA
Oct. 28

Utah Utes w 6-3
Nov. 4

at Washington Huskies L 6-4
Husky Stadium, Seattle, WA
Nov. 11

Arizona Wildcats W 7-4
Nov. 25

Oregon State Beavers W 8-4
Fri. 12/1
We finish 8-4 and 90% of the fan base is happy
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

^ exactly

8 is the magic number probably for everyone. 9 or higher is a great season.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
duckfan96
Senior

Post by duckfan96 »

I say 9 if Herbert stays healthy. If not 6.
UofDuck
Senior

Post by UofDuck »

^ what he said!
UofDuck
Senior

Post by UofDuck »

Not that it really matters, but according to ESPN, Oregon has a 15.3% better chance in the gave vs Wyoming. According to a few articles I read on the Wyoming QB, he has the arm and measurable of an NFL QB 6' 3", but his accuracy and decision skillset are lacking. 56% comp and threw 15 interceptions in 16. He is streaky/inconsistent according to what I read, but can light it up at times.
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

Alan wrote:
nogerO wrote:
Southern Utah Thunderbirds WIN 1-0
Sep. 9

Nebraska Cornhuskers W 2-0
Sep. 16

at Wyoming Cowboys W3-0
War Memorial Stadium, Laramie, WY
Sep. 23

at Arizona State Sun Devils L 3-1
Sun Devil Stadium, Tempe, AZ
Sep. 30

California Golden Bears W 4-1
Oct. 7

Washington State Cougars w 5-1
Oct. 14

at Stanford Cardinal L 5-2
Stanford Stadium, Stanford, CA
Oct. 21

at UCLA Bruins L 5-3
Rose Bowl, Pasadena, CA
Oct. 28

Utah Utes w 6-3
Nov. 4

at Washington Huskies L 6-4
Husky Stadium, Seattle, WA
Nov. 11

Arizona Wildcats W 7-4
Nov. 25

Oregon State Beavers W 8-4
Fri. 12/1
I like the way you think. I'm more of a pessimist when it comes to a whole new staff, schemes and a bunch of young people on defense. Sure hope you're right. 8 wins and a bowl win would be my hope for a very good season all things considered! Go DUCKS!!!
We finish 8-4 and 90% of the fan base is happy
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
UofDuck
Senior

Post by UofDuck »

A nice little write up on Nebraska's weaknesses this year:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2709 ... e-football

I think we can get our new sea legs stabilized and moving without too much damage before we hit Pac play
duckfan22
Senior

Post by duckfan22 »

even tho i think 8-9 wins next year. wins and losses isnt really what i think my
expectations are. I expect to see improvement on defense. I expect the offense to
be more expolsive with the talent on that side. I expect to see far greater effort.
I expect to see team growth and excitement again. I expect to see the swagger they
used to have. The coaches and players are saying all the right things and after going
to the spring game for what its worth i want to see this put into a real game.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

Too many of you are setting a mighty low bar and making a whole lot of excuses. "No Excuses - Blame No One - Do Something" amiright?

Top rated DCs, the kind you pay 7 figures to, almost all earned their accolades turning around defenses in one year. And not all inherited an experienced group of 3 stars with around 10 4 stars sprinkled in with tons of starting or rotational experience. I both expect and suspect we'll see a big improvement in the first year. I'm as confident DC Goofy will succeed in a +50 spot improvement as I was that Hokey was going to fail.

Virtually all the one year turnaround guys have done it while bringing in a new odd front defense to replace an even. It just doesn't take that long and 75% of the current defense was recruited to play an odd front.

While I have a lot more questions about the offensive coaches, they have a ton of talent at their disposal including one of the greatest advantages in offensive football, an offensive line with over 60 combined career starts. They don't have to start a single linemen who has less than 10 career starts. Throw in a studly backfield and an accurate QB and this team should run on everyone on the schedule.

9 or bust.