Is the Offensive line ...

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Duck07
All-American

Re: Is the Offensive line ...

Post by Duck07 »

The biggest drawback I've noticed with bama OL at the pro level is that they all have to move inside, very few have been able to stay at T. I think a big part of it is their system and size leads to that older style of smashmouth football. In the league, that style has largely been dropped because of the talent disparity between OL and DL and the move towards a quick passing game. Bama OL thus haven't developed as pass blockers because that hasn't been their style of play. That shouldn't necessarily be an indictment on MC as we know he can recruit and now he is doing so for a different kind of offense.

Also, Balducci is a DL and went into the league as one before switching. Unger, Long and Geoff Scwhartz are the best OL we've had play in the league recently. Crosby has the athleticism to be perhaps the best OL in the league we've had except for that one guy who wanted to be a MLB. Worked out well, lol. In the modern NFL you have to be just as athletic on the edge as the guys you're going up against which is why so many of the top college Tackles still get moved inside.

If MC can adapt and teach OL to excel in a spread then the guy will get his own program soon and we'll be the better for it.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

karlhungis wrote:
Yes, he had guys who were uber talented and highly rated
I mean, it is kind of tough to minimize that point. Here are the linemen that he put in the league while he was coaching at Bama:
Korren Kirven
Cyrus Kouandjio *
Arie Kouandjio
Austin Shepherd
Anthony Steen *
*= Only played for 1 year under Cristobal.

For comparison sake, here are the players Greatwood has playing in the league.
Alex Balducci
Jake Fisher
Hroniss Grasu
Cameron Hunt
Tyler Johnstone
Kyle Long
Max Unger
I'm sure Balducci had all kinds of coach from Greatwood.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

karlhungis wrote:Fluker was in the 13 draft class, Cristobal was hired in 13.

I was told to "just look at all the guys he has put in the league" and I provided a list and contrasted it with the guys that the person he replaced put in the league, and yes I know that Greatwood was here for 30 years. I just listed the players that are currently in the NFL. Cristobal did put a few people in but he also had access to the best athletes in the country. I don't see how his list of NFL players is indicative of him being a great coach. I'm not saying he is a bad coach either, merely observing.
If you including guys going back 10 years for greatwood and even guys who didn't play for him on the OL, then shouldn't you also go back 10 years for Mario?
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

buckmarkduck wrote:
karlhungis wrote:Fluker was in the 13 draft class, Cristobal was hired in 13.

I was told to "just look at all the guys he has put in the league" and I provided a list and contrasted it with the guys that the person he replaced put in the league, and yes I know that Greatwood was here for 30 years. I just listed the players that are currently in the NFL. Cristobal did put a few people in but he also had access to the best athletes in the country. I don't see how his list of NFL players is indicative of him being a great coach. I'm not saying he is a bad coach either, merely observing.
If you including guys going back 10 years for greatwood and even guys who didn't play for him on the OL, then shouldn't you also go back 10 years for Mario?
Because I don't know who he put in the league back then. Feel free to update the list. The discussion was about who he put in the league while at Bama.
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
rockthief
Senior

Post by rockthief »

Be awesome to have a couple freshmen like Crosby, guys with talent, patience and passion. I think he will be a good teacher.