Is the Offensive line ...

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

rockthief
Senior

Is the Offensive line ...

Post by rockthief »

stout, quick, and skilled enough to protect Herbert? How about depth? I look at the roster and I don't know the answers. Man I hope Crosby stays healthy. Thank you.
Phenom
All Pac-12

Re: Is the Offensive line ...

Post by Phenom »

rockthief wrote:stout, quick, and skilled enough to protect Herbert? How about depth? I look at the roster and I don't know the answers. Man I hope Crosby stays healthy. Thank you.
The offensive line was solid last year. They all return (well except Hunt but that's addition by subtraction). I expect it to be one of the strengths of the team.
wlduck
Sophomore

Post by wlduck »

Phenom wrote:
rockthief wrote:stout, quick, and skilled enough to protect Herbert? How about depth? I look at the roster and I don't know the answers. Man I hope Crosby stays healthy. Thank you.
The offensive line was solid last year. They all return (well except Hunt but that's addition by subtraction). I expect it to be one of the strengths of the team.
I wouldn't go so far as to call them a strength last year. They were adequate, which is pretty good for a bunch of redshirt freshmen. We should expect growth in their second year together, which would make them a strength at that point. But you never know until they actually do it.

Also, with Cristobals reputation you would think they will be well coached.

One potential glitch to think about. These guys trained with Rad as freshmen and last year. The emphasis was not as much on strength and more on agility. There may be an adjustment period.
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

I called them "solid" last year. I said they should be a strength this year.

I agree with everything else you said.
Kimber45
Three Star Recruit

Post by Kimber45 »

Offensive line will be very good this year.

Even after the Spring game still not sure what Taggart's offense will look like but it's show time for those bully kids we recruited two years ago.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Of all the things to worry about this year, OL is so far down the list only RB lower.
Duck24
Senior

Post by Duck24 »

There will essentially be 6 returning starters and the JUCO Moore who should add immediate depth with a healthy Okun. If Cristobal is half the coach he's made out to be and they're able to adjust to the new variation of the offense (whatever that is) I would almost expect them to be a strength.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Honestly I'm not that worried about the loss of DC or having an established WR if only because we're always at our best when we can rush for 300 ypg. Part of me thinks that Tag wants to also showcase a player for the attention it helps bring. Royce as a Heisman candidate and the numbers to back it up while allowing guys like TBJ and Chuck thrive outside the hashes is going to give Herb more wide open lanes and create an explosive offense once again and not just one that picks up yards.

Hanson is on a preseason watch list, not sure if its the Rimington or not but we've got some real talent on the OL.
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

wlduck wrote:

I have only heard of Cristobal's reputation as a recruiter. I haven't heard much praise of his actual coaching abilities. It could just be salty Bama fans though.
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
Duck24
Senior

Post by Duck24 »

karlhungis wrote:
wlduck wrote:

I have only heard of Cristobal's reputation as a recruiter. I haven't heard much praise of his actual coaching abilities. It could just be salty Bama fans though.
How many OL did he put into the NFL during his Bama tenure? Yes, he had guys who were uber talented and highly rated but was still able to develop them to the point of being drafted, and in many cases, early round draft picks.
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

Yes, he had guys who were uber talented and highly rated
I mean, it is kind of tough to minimize that point. Here are the linemen that he put in the league while he was coaching at Bama:
Korren Kirven
Cyrus Kouandjio *
Arie Kouandjio
Austin Shepherd
Anthony Steen *
*= Only played for 1 year under Cristobal.

For comparison sake, here are the players Greatwood has playing in the league.
Alex Balducci
Jake Fisher
Hroniss Grasu
Cameron Hunt
Tyler Johnstone
Kyle Long
Max Unger
OregonFan4life -
Duck24
Senior

Post by Duck24 »

karlhungis wrote:
I mean, it is kind of tough to minimize that point. Here are the linemen that he put in the league while he was coaching at Bama:
Korren Kirven
Cyrus Kouandjio *
Arie Kouandjio
Austin Shepherd
Anthony Steen *

Alex Balducci
Jake Fisher
Hroniss Grasu
Cameron Hunt
Tyler Johnstone
Kyle Long
Max Unger
I feel like your Bama list is missing a handful of guys. Off the top of my head, Fluker, Cam Robinson and the Center from Indy (Ryan Kelly?). And if you're going to call out Cristobal for only coaching Kouandjio for one year, Coach Greatwood only had Kyle Long for one year as well and didn't even coach Balducci since he was a DL at Oregon. Further, Fisher, Johnstone and Hunt were all pretty good recruits and all had plenty of other high level FBS offers so it's not like the cupboard in Eugene was bare on the OL. Not the 5 star monsters Bama gets but still solid if not high level recruits.
alabamaduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by alabamaduck »

Duck24 wrote:
karlhungis wrote:
Korren Kirven
Cyrus Kouandjio *
Arie Kouandjio
Austin Shepherd
Anthony Steen *

Alex Balducci
Jake Fisher
Hroniss Grasu
Cameron Hunt
Tyler Johnstone
Kyle Long
Max Unger
I feel like your Bama list is missing a handful of guys. Off the top of my head, Fluker, Cam Robinson and the Center from Indy (Ryan Kelly?). And if you're going to call out Cristobal for only coaching Kouandjio for one year, Coach Greatwood only had Kyle Long for one year as well and didn't even coach Balducci since he was a DL at Oregon. Further, Fisher, Johnstone and Hunt were all pretty good recruits and all had plenty of other high level FBS offers so it's not like the cupboard in Eugene was bare on the OL. Not the 5 star monsters Bama gets but still solid if not high level recruits.
I was going to post the same thing.

Also, Cristobal was at Bama for like 3-4 years, Greatwood was with us for 30
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

Fluker was in the 13 draft class, Cristobal was hired in 13.

I was told to "just look at all the guys he has put in the league" and I provided a list and contrasted it with the guys that the person he replaced put in the league, and yes I know that Greatwood was here for 30 years. I just listed the players that are currently in the NFL. Cristobal did put a few people in but he also had access to the best athletes in the country. I don't see how his list of NFL players is indicative of him being a great coach. I'm not saying he is a bad coach either, merely observing.
OregonFan4life -
brich75
Senior

Post by brich75 »

karlhungis wrote:Fluker was in the 13 draft class, Cristobal was hired in 13.

I was told to "just look at all the guys he has put in the league" and I provided a list and contrasted it with the guys that the person he replaced put in the league, and yes I know that Greatwood was here for 30 years. I just listed the players that are currently in the NFL. Cristobal did put a few people in but he also had access to the best athletes in the country. I don't see how his list of NFL players is indicative of him being a great coach. I'm not saying he is a bad coach either, merely observing.
Legit point, he was coaches NFL guys at Bama. He should be putting them in the league.