In Defense of Mark Helfrich: RECRUITING

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

FishDuck
Three Star Recruit

In Defense of Mark Helfrich: RECRUITING

Post by FishDuck »

A new writer for FishDuck.com (He built an Engineering Firm in Eugene) has some information that can change your perspective a bit, and his conclusion is not what I’ve heard from anyone else.

Some have said that my site contains “homers” yet clearly—this is not a popular subject at this time. Keep in mind that I let all the writers state their opinion whether I agree with it or not, and in this case—it was too intriguing for me to ignore.

This is the first article I’ve posted here in quite a while, and thought you might find it fascinating due to recruiting angle. FishDuck.com is now running about three-four articles a week is all, as we have down-scaled the staff and those who remain are volunteers who simply love to edit, write and ponder about our beloved Ducks.

http://fishduck.com/2017/07/in-defense- ... ecruiting/
GoDucksIn09
Senior

Re: In Defense of Mark Helfrich: RECRUITING

Post by GoDucksIn09 »

Some very valid points in the article about the effects of probation Oregon was put on after Chip Kelly. I think though that one of the problems Helfrich had in terms of recruiting though was evaluating and coaching the players up when got here. This is possibly one of the harder things to do as a coach. A coach might be able to sale the program and might be able to do all the motivational talks but it still comes down to the player wanting to do more and having the skill to do more. I am not sure Helfrich could really motivate anyone based on what I saw of his interviews over the time of his coaching career at Oregon. We heard the same thing over and over and over from him when things started going south. I am glad the Helfrich era is over though. I do not think that with the limitations over that would see Helfrich be any more aggressive with the recruiting. He thought the program would sale itself and players would just automatically want to come. Maybe are a few that do but for the top tier talent need to work really hard and be really aggressive to get them. Something I never saw from Helfrich even before the sanctions.
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

Fully believe we'd have a NC and he'd still be here if he just made the correct choice at DC.

Unfortunately, he did not and I think that was a reflection of many of the cracks which became a chasm last season.

I certainly think the recruiting was hurt by the Chip stuff, but it's not fair at all to give Mark a pass on guys like Buddha Baker and JuJu Smith, who came, visited, were Oregon guys, but Mark couldn't close.

In other words, yeah the Chip stuff could mean 7-5; 8-4 type seasons; but not 4-8 and losing to Beavis.
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

GrantDuck wrote:Fully believe we'd have a NC and he'd still be here if he just made the correct choice at DC.

Unfortunately, he did not and I think that was a reflection of many of the cracks which became a chasm last season.

I certainly think the recruiting was hurt by the Chip stuff, but it's not fair at all to give Mark a pass on guys like Buddha Baker and JuJu Smith, who came, visited, were Oregon guys, but Mark couldn't close.

In other words, yeah the Chip stuff could mean 7-5; 8-4 type seasons; but not 4-8 and losing to Beavis.
Agreed. I thought that Mark was trying to fill massive shoes but that it would be a slow leak and we would eventually move on after we slowly declined but remained mostly successful. Instead, everything culminated into one massive abomination of a season and we were able to start the flood prep 3 years sooner.
bdkipe
Two Star Recruit

Post by bdkipe »

Samuel Clemens is to Mark Twain as Mark Helfrich is to Jim Hanks.

:D :lol: :D :lol:
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Recruiting sanctions were not helpful, but lack of enthusiasm and creativity (hell, even just keeping up with current trends like social media and satellite camps) were what hurt recruiting more than anything. The Oregon brand has never had higher standing than during/after the title appearance and Mariota Heisman, and they didn't capitalize.
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

Sanctions or not, if Willie or Chip would have been here, then we would have Tua T coming in at QB this year.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Biggus Duckus wrote:It was a perfect storm for Helfrich, I think. Poor choices in DC vetting, stale recruiting mentality, sanctions, QB controversy (partly his own fault), and some close losses.
How's the bad QB recruiting only partly his fault? That's 99% his fault1% Frost fault. He's the HC, he should have had a lot more eye on the most important spot in all of sports.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

Defending Helfrich is so 2016.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
Duck24
Senior

Post by Duck24 »

lukeyrid13 wrote:Sanctions or not, if Willie or Chip would have been here, then we would have Tua T coming in at QB this year.
And he'd be sitting on the bench for the next 2-3 seasons while Herbert plays out his eligibility.
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

Duck24 wrote:
lukeyrid13 wrote:Sanctions or not, if Willie or Chip would have been here, then we would have Tua T coming in at QB this year.
And he'd be sitting on the bench for the next 2-3 seasons while Herbert plays out his eligibility.
Doubt it.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
duckfan96
Senior

Post by duckfan96 »

Pretty sure Herbert would beat tua out
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Actually the two biggest selling points for Helfrich in recruiting, especially as an offensive coach, was that he could say he spotted Marcus and was the coach for Herbert's recruitment. I don't know if Herbert has a chance to beat some of Marcus' efficiency metrics because we've haven't seen this offense but I do think it's very possible that Herbert in time could have a better arm than The Great # 8 and have many question who the better QB was.

Also, Helfrich is responsible for the demise of GOT.
Duck24
Senior

Post by Duck24 »

nogerO wrote:
Duck24 wrote:
Doubt it.
Tua had a great spring game. You know who else had a great spring game? Jeff Lockie.
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

Duck07 wrote:Actually the two biggest selling points for Helfrich in recruiting, especially as an offensive coach, was that he could say he spotted Marcus and was the coach for Herbert's recruitment. I don't know if Herbert has a chance to beat some of Marcus' efficiency metrics because we've haven't seen this offense but I do think it's very possible that Herbert in time could have a better arm than The Great # 8 and have many question who the better QB was.

Also, Helfrich is responsible for the demise of GOT.
I think Herbert could develop a better arm..potentially..but everything else..no no no no.