Bummed

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

duckfan96
Senior

Bummed

Post by duckfan96 »

Not that any of you knew him but my best friend of 36 years passed away last night. He was a Oregon graduate and we attended many games even after he relocated to
Miami. Last words he said to me was Go Ducks. Man cancer sucks! Sorry for posting this on here as I'm sure someone will complain. Oh well!
brich75
Senior

Re: Bummed

Post by brich75 »

duckfan96 wrote:Not that any of you knew him but my best friend of 36 years passed away last night. He was a Oregon graduate and we attended many games even after he relocated to
Miami. Last words he said to me was Go Ducks. Man cancer sucks! Sorry for posting this on here as I'm sure someone will complain. Oh well!
Sorry to hear that, it's a terribly unfair thing. May he rest in peace.
gogreen55
Senior

Post by gogreen55 »

brich75 wrote:Sorry to hear that, it's a terribly unfair thing. May he rest in peace.
+++
duckfan22
Senior

Post by duckfan22 »

Sorry to hear about your friend.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

I've lost two close to me to cancer, I know your pain and loss, nothing more need to be said...I hate cancer and pray I or my children never have to go through it.
Quietduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by Quietduck »

Three for me. I hate cancer with a passion. I pray for the day when they find a cure for how it works. May your grief be short and your memories long. God Bless
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

My wife lost 3 cousins to the beast, then survived 2 bouts herself.

Our prayer is that someday nobody has to deal with this.
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

bdkipe
Two Star Recruit

Post by bdkipe »

Prayers for him, his family and you as his friend. That is awesome that he gave you some final words to remind you of something you both enjoyed together in friendship.

I lost my father to cancer at the age of 25. It stings, it hurts and it stays with you, but the the memories you make in your time together here on earth endure and outlast the pain...I PROMISE!

God Bless you, your friend and GO DUCKS!
ncduck
Senior

Post by ncduck »

I'm very sorry for your loss. I wish there were words that could help.
Duckattack7
Five Star Recruit

Post by Duckattack7 »

My grandmother passed away Sunday and we laid her to rest today at the place on sunset hill on the way to Portland.
Return Of the Quack!
duck92
Two Star Recruit

Post by duck92 »

Was your friend the guy Neil Everett talked about on sports center? He said he was a good guy, Gary bimm? Not real sure on the last name. Neil talks fast sometimes, either way sorry for your loss.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

I'm so sorry for your loss... cancer is the worst. My aunt died of brain cancer when I was in high school, and my last grandparent just recently died of leukemia. It's never easy, and hopefully someday we learn how to beat it.

That said, I was moved by your friend's last words. It's crazy how powerful the bonds around sports can be. I swear, I really should (partially) thank the Oregon football program for the strong relationship I have with my much-younger brother... he was in grade school after I graduated from college and left the state to build my career, and Oregon football was the thing we'd talk about on an almost-weekly basis. (Even still, I can't think of anyone I'd rather watch a game with than my brother.)

Anyway, this made me think of a letter Mike Bellotti read to the team back in 2005. Most of us probably read about this in the newspapers at the time... I bet your friend loved it. The only version I found online doesn't have any paragraph formatting, but here you go... go Ducks.

To Any Oregon Players Who May Read This .... I am sorry for the distraction you may face this week on account of the fans, the media and our hunger for another BCS Bowl. True Duck fans everywhere are behind you. This tribute is for you: I am Mighty Oregon. I am the 30 year old couple coming back to campus for the fist time with both little ones in tow. One wears her first green and yellow cheerleader outfit; the other wears #3 even though he's too young to understand why. I screamed IT NEVER RAINS AT AUTZEN STADIUM, even though you can see the thunderous clouds forming and know it will rain. God, I love this place. I am the 60 year old woman meeting her freshman grand-daughter who is now the 3rd generation of UO students in our family. Despite my age, I'd strap it on Saturday and hit someone if it weren't for my gender and this blasted arthritis. I am Mighty Oregon and I have always believed I was different. You can see it when you look up into the stands. My green is not the same as Miami's and my yellow is not that of Michigan. But the differences go much deeper than my colors. I genuinely believe in these things. To be a "real" Oregon man or woman speaks of character, not of geography. All are welcome to walk through my gates, not just the wealthy or the elite. The Big 10, Big 12 and the SEC may have their "nations," but we have always been family. We bleed green and yellow. Make no mistake...we loathe defeat, but even in defeat, we would rather be an Oregon Duck than anything else. We are family and you are the sons of Musgrave, Wilcox and Rashad (or Moore if you prefer). You come from a long line of brothers whose names include Fouts, Sirmon, Wheaton, Droughns, and Harrington. You will now add Clemens to that list as he has become a truly exceptional leader this season. It is a great heritage and you belong. So this Saturday, when the warm ups are over and the prayer's "amen" spoken, when you hear my thunder growing in the stands above you, when you stand in the tunnel and feel your heart pounding your chest, listen for my voice when you run onto my field. Behind the frenzy of the shakers and deafening roar, I will tell you something in a whisper you may miss. I will be telling you that you are my sons and I am proud of you for the way you wear the green and yellow, for the way you have stood up in the face of adversity and the way you have fought tooth and nail to win each game. I am telling you that you are my sons and I love you. To all of you Seniors - LET'S GO DUCKS!
Willie Taggart is a dick.
rockthief
Senior

Post by rockthief »

^^^^^ everything about this post is awesome. Thank you sir!

Go Ducks!
UofDuck
Senior

Post by UofDuck »

pezsez1 wrote:I'm so sorry for your loss... cancer is the worst. My aunt died of brain cancer when I was in high school, and my last grandparent just recently died of leukemia. It's never easy, and hopefully someday we learn how to beat it.

That said, I was moved by your friend's last words. It's crazy how powerful the bonds around sports can be. I swear, I really should (partially) thank the Oregon football program for the strong relationship I have with my much-younger brother... he was in grade school after I graduated from college and left the state to build my career, and Oregon football was the thing we'd talk about on an almost-weekly basis. (Even still, I can't think of anyone I'd rather watch a game with than my brother.)

Anyway, this made me think of a letter Mike Bellotti read to the team back in 2005. Most of us probably read about this in the newspapers at the time... I bet your friend loved it. The only version I found online doesn't have any paragraph formatting, but here you go... go Ducks.

To Any Oregon Players Who May Read This .... I am sorry for the distraction you may face this week on account of the fans, the media and our hunger for another BCS Bowl. True Duck fans everywhere are behind you. This tribute is for you: I am Mighty Oregon. I am the 30 year old couple coming back to campus for the fist time with both little ones in tow. One wears her first green and yellow cheerleader outfit; the other wears #3 even though he's too young to understand why. I screamed IT NEVER RAINS AT AUTZEN STADIUM, even though you can see the thunderous clouds forming and know it will rain. God, I love this place. I am the 60 year old woman meeting her freshman grand-daughter who is now the 3rd generation of UO students in our family. Despite my age, I'd strap it on Saturday and hit someone if it weren't for my gender and this blasted arthritis. I am Mighty Oregon and I have always believed I was different. You can see it when you look up into the stands. My green is not the same as Miami's and my yellow is not that of Michigan. But the differences go much deeper than my colors. I genuinely believe in these things. To be a "real" Oregon man or woman speaks of character, not of geography. All are welcome to walk through my gates, not just the wealthy or the elite. The Big 10, Big 12 and the SEC may have their "nations," but we have always been family. We bleed green and yellow. Make no mistake...we loathe defeat, but even in defeat, we would rather be an Oregon Duck than anything else. We are family and you are the sons of Musgrave, Wilcox and Rashad (or Moore if you prefer). You come from a long line of brothers whose names include Fouts, Sirmon, Wheaton, Droughns, and Harrington. You will now add Clemens to that list as he has become a truly exceptional leader this season. It is a great heritage and you belong. So this Saturday, when the warm ups are over and the prayer's "amen" spoken, when you hear my thunder growing in the stands above you, when you stand in the tunnel and feel your heart pounding your chest, listen for my voice when you run onto my field. Behind the frenzy of the shakers and deafening roar, I will tell you something in a whisper you may miss. I will be telling you that you are my sons and I am proud of you for the way you wear the green and yellow, for the way you have stood up in the face of adversity and the way you have fought tooth and nail to win each game. I am telling you that you are my sons and I love you. To all of you Seniors - LET'S GO DUCKS!
So good!
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

No need to apologize, cancer is the closest thing to hell on earth. My wife at the age of 9 found out her mom was diagnosed with brain cancer, and her little sister was 6. After 5 long years or torture, watching her have seizures and slowly losing her ability to walk and talk, she passed. 10 years later right after we started dating, her dad was diagnosed with lymphoma that he's still currently fighting. Needless to say, my wife and her sister have been greatly affected by these life experiences. Even though her dad is likely to best lymphoma, the chemo took a lot of life out of him. It doesn't matter the relation, if someone you care about has cancer, it sucks to watch them go through it. So I'm very sorry for your loss, and wanted to say I've seen the pain first hand and there's no shame at all for being traumatized by watching someone you care about suffer from this awful disease and dying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk