Here's a tough question:

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

SuperDuck
Senior

Re: Here's a tough question:

Post by SuperDuck »

I'd take the natty. There's no way that Helfrich would last even 3-4 years afterward if the program began to decline. Most of the credit for the natty would go to Chip Kelly and Marcus Mariotta and a decline after that would clearly fall on Helf.

Remember what happened to Larry Coker at Miami?
John 3:36
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

SuperDuck wrote:I'd take the natty. There's no way that Helfrich would last even 3-4 years afterward if the program began to decline. Most of the credit for the natty would go to Chip Kelly and Marcus Mariotta and a decline after that would clearly fall on Helf.

Remember what happened to Larry Coker at Miami?
That wasn't the question.
GoDucksIn09
Senior

Post by GoDucksIn09 »

One of Chip Kelly's things that he changed is that losing is no longer acceptable at Oregon. With the defense Oregon had and the first losing record in quite awhile we see how fast Oregon moved on firing Helfrich. I think there was more to the firing than that but those were two of the major issues. The team was heading the wrong direction. Losing is no longer acceptable. If there is one thing that will last for quite awhile it is that fact. I do not mean to discredit the original question. I would still take the natty. I remember way to many years of Oregon losing every Saturday though. I never dreamed would see Oregon go undefeated through the regular season. I did though and thankfully got to see it and enjoy that with my dad. I don't know if Oregon will ever win the natty... but I would still take it even if it was followed by several losing seasons. It would be one thing I would think never see from Oregon football. I would cherish it for a long long time.