Here's a tough question:

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Re: Here's a tough question:

Post by Tray Dub »

No way would I want to live through ten years of losing seasons. A national championship isn't worth a decade of bad football. No way.
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

How many people still talk about the Blazers winning the championship...that was 40 years ago and people still talk about it glowingly. There have been bouts of decent success since then, notably in the early 90s but overall they've been an average NBA team for the last 40 seasons. I wasn't alive back then but any Blazers fan I know felt total euphoria when they won.

Auburn won the championship and then took a nose dive and went 3-9 and Chizik was out of a job in less than two years after their title. I'd gladly take that championship away from them but their fans will forever have that season. The Chip era was incredible and we likely won't ever have such an amazing 4-5 season run but despite 46-7 over his 4 years as HC, we still felt unsastified because we never reached the pinnacle.
UofDuck
Senior

Post by UofDuck »

Diehardduckfan wrote:
Alan wrote:
Diehardduckfan wrote:And maybe a bit premature, and hypothetical (so please no debate), but what the heck.

Would you rather have had a national championship in 2015, and had Mark Helfrich as our coach for another 10 years(because he won us a championship) and all 10 years be losing seasons(including losing to the Huskies) or be where we are today?

I would have to go with championship, and suffer the 10 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I would take Willie and the new staff, just from what I have seen so far.
But we would have a championship! A definitive championship, something the huskies can't even say.

You just broke your own rule of no debating. "But....."

This is such a tough question because I want to see a chip soooo badly before I take a dirt nap. But 10 years of losing season would be so hard to endure.
GoDucksIn09
Senior

Post by GoDucksIn09 »

Now I feel old. I remember the ducks having losing seasons every year. We would play the civil war to see who made it out of the basement. Is no way I want to go back to that. If had the natty outright though it would be something the huskies don't have. Nor can they say beat us 12 years in a row.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

The OP's question was:
A) a championship and 10 years of losing records

or

B) a crap shoot where we might be good or even worse than the losing guaranteed in option A.

I take the championship over whats behind Door A. Heck the Tall Firs championship of 260 years ago makes Oregon "a past champion in basketball" and that can never be taken away.
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

GrandpaDuck wrote:I take the championship over whats behind Door A. Heck the Tall Firs championship of 260 years ago makes Oregon "a past champion in basketball" and that can never be taken away.
Yeah, that would have no relevance if we weren't good anymore.

Look at Minnesota's football team. They used to win nattys but nobody knows or cares because they've sucked for so long.
UofDuck
Senior

Post by UofDuck »

Phenom wrote:
GrandpaDuck wrote:I take the championship over whats behind Door A. Heck the Tall Firs championship of 260 years ago makes Oregon "a past champion in basketball" and that can never be taken away.
Yeah, that would have no relevance if we weren't good anymore.

Look at Minnesota's football team. They used to win nattys but nobody knows or cares because they've sucked for so long.
But the banners still fly
mattc94
Four Star Recruit

Post by mattc94 »

A natty would be nice but a program without a continuing winning tradition is nothing. Nebraska was the power of the nation when I was in high school and ground teams into dust. Now Mike Reilly is their coach and they haven't seen a Big Ten championship in ages. Nobody cares about yesterday in college football. Every championship trophy collects dust.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

A championship! Though I wish it was back in 2012 and the team could go back in time and beat that stupid Stanford team. That was the best team in Oregon history and they crushed everybody then for some reason decided they didn't want to play vs Stanford, and the refs like they always do seem to ignore the rules on Stanford's behalf. That's the one season I would go back and change if I could. Oregon was far better than Stanford that season and easily the best team in the nation.

duckfan22
Senior

Post by duckfan22 »

this is a question with no real answer. I would love to see a championship trophy in the
case. Im getting older an would love to see before dementia sets in..lol. But on the other
hand not sure of going through losing seasons is worth it. Been there done that. Still a tough call for me. But an interesting
question.
TualatinDuck
Senior

Post by TualatinDuck »

It would be real nice to no longer be referred to as the zero's.
"And I can be the warrior for those who are frail and weak,
And I can be the compass for those that search and seek." ~Lem Absher
duckduckgoose
Five Star Recruit

Post by duckduckgoose »

TualatinDuck wrote:It would be real nice to no longer be referred to as the zero's.
We have more championships than the two schools that call us that combined. It’s jealousy is all.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

A championship! Though I wish it was back in 2012 and the team could go back in time and beat that stupid Stanford team. That was the best team in Oregon history and they crushed everybody then for some reason decided they didn't want to play vs Stanford, and the refs like they always do seem to ignore the rules on Stanford's behalf. That's the one season I would go back and change if I could. Oregon was far better than Stanford that season and easily the best team in the nation.
Yeah... we would have SMOKED Notre Dame in the championship game.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

I'd rather not have the natty. Tough question though, for sure.

Ask me again in 10 years. :D
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

pezsez1 wrote:
Yeah... we would have SMOKED Notre Dame in the championship game.
We would have greatly benefited from the playoff being implemented that year at the very least. ND was a total fraud, very similar to the Florida State team that we played in the Rose Bowl where everyone knew that their record wasn't indicative of the true talent/value of the squad.