Defensive improvement

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Greenblood
Senior

Re: Defensive improvement

Post by Greenblood »

I think this is a great site for determining overall defensive effectiveness: http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ncaadef.

On one of the ("S&P" or "FEI") ways of calculating, last year's Colorado defense under Leavitt, in just the second year of his leadership, ranked #7 in the country, and on the other it was ranked #12.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

As of right now.

We have the 4th ranked D in the confrence and top ranked O.

Cal amazingly while being 3-0, is last in D.

And I'll post it again, because somehow no one seemed to care.
UO is TOP in the country on 3rd down D. Which is amazing es use that has been our biggest issue for 15 years.
Duck24
Senior

Post by Duck24 »

buckmarkduck wrote:As of right now.

We have the 4th ranked D in the confrence and top ranked O.

Cal amazingly while being 3-0, is last in D.

And I'll post it again, because somehow no one seemed to care.
UO is TOP in the country on 3rd down D. Which is amazing es use that has been our biggest issue for 15 years.
Does that mean we aren't rushing 3, dropping 8 with 10 yard cushions on 3rd and 4 anymore?
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Last night was the kind of defensive performance we've been waiting to see our team have against that caliber of opponent. Before his final completion of the 1st half, Allen was at 8 yards passing and that last reception couldn't have been more than 7 so to see our defense give up ~15 passing yards in the first half of a game, are you kidding me?
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

Great job by the defense last night.
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
ducks5ever
Four Star Recruit

Post by ducks5ever »

Our D is bigger and better than Fubo Chavez's!! Man I can't stand that ad 100x.
brich75
Senior

Post by brich75 »

ducks5ever wrote:Our D is bigger and better than Fubo Chavez's!! Man I can't stand that ad 100x.
I thought it was pretty funny!
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

Greenblood wrote:I think this is a great site for determining overall defensive effectiveness: http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ncaadef.

On one of the ("S&P" or "FEI") ways of calculating, last year's Colorado defense under Leavitt, in just the second year of his leadership, ranked #7 in the country, and on the other it was ranked #12.
Thanks, I have used it for years but a couple of issues with it. First I can't use it for 7 weeks. Second, it is a composite of a whole lot stats that comes up with a score that is a numeric comparative grade. Unlike a stat like total offense or my beloved points per possession it is not something you can see, relate to or duplicate yourself. It is a matter of trust. That said it's stated criteria is terrific, probably the best measure out there if you trust its computations. I do believe because it is a computation of stats that it is probably immensely more accurate and less subjective than PFF ratings.
Groundswell
Four Star Recruit

Post by Groundswell »

Our defense has been way better than I was expecting at this point. Way better. But we've also played 3 really lousy offensive teams. That said, I think we keep improving so when we do finally hit that tough 5 game stretch. We're going to be a better defense, but our stats are likely to drop some.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

ifuwant2 wrote:Our defense has been way better than I was expecting at this point. Way better. But we've also played 3 really lousy offensive teams. That said, I think we keep improving so when we do finally hit that tough 5 game stretch. We're going to be a better defense, but our stats are likely to drop some.
Good thing is, we play 3 more not great offensive teams over the next 4 games.
Groundswell
Four Star Recruit

Post by Groundswell »

buckmarkduck wrote:
ifuwant2 wrote:Our defense has been way better than I was expecting at this point. Way better. But we've also played 3 really lousy offensive teams. That said, I think we keep improving so when we do finally hit that tough 5 game stretch. We're going to be a better defense, but our stats are likely to drop some.
Good thing is, we play 3 more not great offensive teams over the next 4 games.
True, but every single one of those teams are ranked higher offensively than Nebraska, who is the best offense we've faced. In fact, outside Oregon State, every team left on our schedule is better offensively than Nebraska at this point.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

First, I was very pleased with the decision to get a good 3-4 DC and I give Coach Pepsi high marks for his D-Coordinator work. I am giving him a really poor grade as a position coach (that will keep him up at night). Why? He keeps playing a middle linebacker who except for one quarter of garbage time they would have been more effective playing with just 10 men on the field. The same amount of tackles and passes defended without any penalties (slight hyperbola, but only slight). If you cant move Apelu to the Duck position (where I think he'd be very good), at least sub him out on run downs where he is usually getting rag dolled and trampled on.

I give CP no credit for Dye who is a natural plug and play anywhere defender. Well maybe a little in being smart enough to steal him from Coach Woodie.

How many good 3-4 defenses are there where the middle linebacker isn't racking up several run stops a game.

This defense has done remarkably well considering how inexperienced, undersized, and/ or under talented right up the middle they are from NT to Safety.

Oh and Robinson still hits like Cliff Harris.

Ok I feel better now, I'm going to go out and guard my lawn.
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

GrandpaDuck wrote:First, I was very pleased with the decision to get a good 3-4 DC and I give Coach Pepsi high marks for his D-Coordinator work. I am giving him a really poor grade as a position coach (that will keep him up at night). Why? He keeps playing a middle linebacker who except for one quarter of garbage time they would have been more effective playing with just 10 men on the field. The same amount of tackles and passes defended without any penalties (slight hyperbola, but only slight). If you cant move Apelu to the Duck position (where I think he'd be very good), at least sub him out on run downs where he is usually getting rag dolled and trampled on.

I give CP no credit for Dye who is a natural plug and play anywhere defender. Well maybe a little in being smart enough to steal him from Coach Woodie.

How many good 3-4 defenses are there where the middle linebacker isn't racking up several run stops a game.

This defense has done remarkably well considering how inexperienced, undersized, and/ or under talented right up the middle they are from NT to Safety.

Oh and Robinson still hits like Cliff Harris.

Ok I feel better now, I'm going to go out and guard my lawn.
Robinson's nickname should be pillow fight.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
gogreen55
Senior

Post by gogreen55 »

Lol, poor Tyree. He has been a big plus overall, but he had a couple of his classic avoid contact at all costs "tackle attempts" last night.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

So grandpa youre giving Levitt bad marks because the previous staff wiffed severely on MLB? And then you give him no credit for at least moving Dye inside to halfway make up for that fact? Wht would you have him do, recruit one from another team? Because AJ has no awareness out there at all, the kid still looks lost half the time.