Defensive improvement

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

ducks5ever
Four Star Recruit

Re: Defensive improvement

Post by ducks5ever »

Jim Leavitt is the way to go! He will bring us back!!

Interesting takes on Tyree here. He did give Allen a nice helmet knock towards the end fwiw.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Yeah iVe been as big of a Robinson "hater" as there's been over the years, but I've thought he's played really well so far this year.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

buckmarkduck wrote:So grandpa youre giving Levitt bad marks because the previous staff wiffed severely on MLB? And then you give him no credit for at least moving Dye inside to halfway make up for that fact? Wht would you have him do, recruit one from another team? Because AJ has no awareness out there at all, the kid still looks lost half the time.
I did give him credit for poaching Dye. Just not for developing him, as he was a stud the day he walked on campus.

AJ is vastly superior to Apelu who was a black hole of production until the third quarter of the 3rd game in which he made his first 2 solo tackles in the run game. Prior to that I have seen him pancaked by both running backs and wide receivers when he tried to make a tackle, cast aside by opposing linemen with one hand while they were engaged with someone else. AJ has held his ground in the run game and taken down a ball carrier. But it's not AJ who I would play in front of him it's Swain.

Swain has barely played because they have him behind Dye who almost never comes out. In the less than one quarter against SUU he got to play he was very physical and productive. I suspect paired with Dye they could be the most productive inside pair we've had in a few years, but it appears we'll never know.
Last edited by GrandpaDuck on Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

I've been calling for Swain for about 3 years now. lol
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

GrandpaDuck wrote:
buckmarkduck wrote:So grandpa youre giving Levitt bad marks because the previous staff wiffed severely on MLB? And then you give him no credit for at least moving Dye inside to halfway make up for that fact? Wht would you have him do, recruit one from another team? Because AJ has no awareness out there at all, the kid still looks lost half the time.
I did give him credit for poaching Dye. Just not for developing him, as he was a stud the day he walked on campus.

AJ is vastly superior to Apelu who was a black hole of production until the third quarter of the 3rd game in which he made his first 2 solo tackles in the run game. Prior to that I have seen him pancaked by both running backs and wide receivers when he tried to make a tackle, cast aside by opposing linemen with one hand while they were engaged with someone else. AJ has held his ground in the run game and taken down a ball carrier. But it's not AJ who I would play in front of him it's Swain.

Swain has barely played because they have him behind Dye who almost never comes out. In the less than one quarter against SUU he got to play he was very physical and productive. I suspect paired with Dye they could be the most productive inside pair we've had in a few years, but it appears we'll never know.
You may want to watch the tape, because Hotchkins is terrible. At least Apelu is in the right spot, he just to small, slow and snot strong enough to make most plays.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

buckmarkduck wrote:
GrandpaDuck wrote:

You may want to watch the tape, because Hotchkins is terrible. At least Apelu is in the right spot, he just to small, slow and snot strong enough to make most plays.
I have watched the entire games focusing specifically on the linebackers.

If AJ is in the right spot 50% of the time and can make a play, its better than being in the right spot 100% of the time and doing nothing but screening off players who might make a play.

But back to the point, I said Swain not AJ as my preferred upgrade.
Last edited by GrandpaDuck on Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

I'd love to know why Swain doesn't get a shot?
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

buckmarkduck wrote:I'd love to know why Swain doesn't get a shot?
Why play him behind Dye? I just don't see how he could have been graded behind both Apelu and AJ and put in the spot in the 2 deep that gets no snaps. Let alone start at Mike.
Groundswell
Four Star Recruit

Post by Groundswell »

Swain looks the part, but he's always putting himself in the wrong place. I've never seen a linebacker run to the wrong side of the field as often. Only thing that makes sense is Leavitt doesn't trust him.
HomeSickDuck
Three Star Recruit

Post by HomeSickDuck »

Speaking of LB's, what about Simms? Haven't heard anything about him in a while. I know he was hurt not to long ago.
Groundswell
Four Star Recruit

Post by Groundswell »

HomeSickDuck wrote:Speaking of LB's, what about Simms? Haven't heard anything about him in a while. I know he was hurt not to long ago.
He's out for the season.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

HomeSickDuck wrote:Speaking of LB's, what about Simms? Haven't heard anything about him in a while. I know he was hurt not to long ago.
He had knee surgery and is out for the season.

Next year's linebackers will look pretty different with Moi and Hotchkins graduating. Dye along with Niu/Slade-Mautatia, with Hollins & Winston Jr as starters. Backups will be Niu/Slade-Mautatia and Rugraff/Apelu inside, with Bryson Young and Keith Simms outside. I wouldn't be surprised if Simms moves inside, but for now they have him listed as an OLB.
ducks5ever
Four Star Recruit

Post by ducks5ever »

This just proves that we need to recruit more LB's. Adrian Jackson is going to be good, and Cunningham has good upside (along with our Georgia commit?), but we're walking on thin ice at this position this year and next year (at this rate)
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

ducks5ever wrote:This just proves that we need to recruit more LB's. Adrian Jackson is going to be good, and Cunningham has good upside (along with our Georgia commit?), but we're walking on thin ice at this position this year and next year (at this rate)
You left off Andrew Johnson, who perhaps has the most upside of any of the LB commits.

http://247sports.com/Player/Andrew-Johnson-46039756

Jonathon King is thickly built but very well ends up playing OLB, as well.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »