Why are we playing in WY?

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

DuckMastaFunk
Five Star Recruit

Why are we playing in WY?

Post by DuckMastaFunk »

This is a dumb question, but I don't remember why we are going to Wyoming and not doing a home and home. Seems like a school like WY would warrant a 2 home, 1 away deal like we did with Nevada a few years ago.
Phenom
All Pac-12

Re: Why are we playing in WY?

Post by Phenom »

DuckMastaFunk wrote:This is a dumb question, but I don't remember why we are going to Wyoming and not doing a home and home. Seems like a school like WY would warrant a 2 home, 1 away deal like we did with Nevada a few years ago.
It was a really dumb deal and IDK. It's not like it helps with recruiting either...
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Didn't we have UGA on the schedule this year a while back? Seems like it could be a result of a back out.
srduck
Three Star Recruit

Post by srduck »

Duck07 wrote:Didn't we have UGA on the schedule this year a while back? Seems like it could be a result of a back out.
exactly what happened.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
maxduck
Senior

Post by maxduck »

The game has been on the schedule for 10 years. Oregon ended 2006 with 4 straight losses and a 7-6 season. Scheduling a home and home with them probably looked like a reasonable option at the time. From the RG...

The deal was struck Jan. 17, 2007, a month before Mike Bellotti hired Chip Kelly as Oregon’s program-changing offensive whiz.

Wyoming athletic director Tom Burman, who previously held the same position at Portland State, had a good working relationship with Moos and reached out to him to schedule the home-and-home series.
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

maxduck wrote:The game has been on the schedule for 10 years. Oregon ended 2006 with 4 straight losses and a 7-6 season. Scheduling a home and home with them probably looked like a reasonable option at the time. From the RG...

The deal was struck Jan. 17, 2007, a month before Mike Bellotti hired Chip Kelly as Oregon’s program-changing offensive whiz.

Wyoming athletic director Tom Burman, who previously held the same position at Portland State, had a good working relationship with Moos and reached out to him to schedule the home-and-home series.
Stupid Moos.
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

I'm alright with playing there, but I agree it should have been a 2-1 like we have done with Nevada(I think we bought out of playing there) and Fresno St
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

We should never play at a little school. Nothing against Wyoming, Fresno st ect, but there's nothing in it for us. It's a lose, lose. win and big deal, lose and the season is over.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

I kinda like this, it makes Oregon's first road test easier. Obviously playing at ASU Oregon doesn't need an early easy road game, but if they're first conference road game was at Stanford, then this is a nice easy way to get the team used to a road game feel.

nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

DuckMastaFunk wrote:This is a dumb question, but I don't remember why we are going to Wyoming and not doing a home and home. Seems like a school like WY would warrant a 2 home, 1 away deal like we did with Nevada a few years ago.
Wyoming played at Autzen a couple years ago in Bohl's first year.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
Duck4Ever
Three Star Recruit

Post by Duck4Ever »

OregonFan4Life wrote:I kinda like this, it makes Oregon's first road test easier. Obviously playing at ASU Oregon doesn't need an early easy road game, but if they're first conference road game was at Stanford, then this is a nice easy way to get the team used to a road game feel.

I look at it the same way.
DuckMastaFunk
Five Star Recruit

Post by DuckMastaFunk »

nogerO wrote:
Wyoming played at Autzen a couple years ago in Bohl's first year.
I completely forgot about that. That was the national championship year. Thanks Nogs.
Bud Lee
All Pac-12

Post by Bud Lee »

buckmarkduck wrote:We should never play at a little school. Nothing against Wyoming, Fresno st ect, but there's nothing in it for us. It's a lose, lose. win and big deal, lose and the season is over.

it seems to me it would be more beneficial for both teams to play at Autzen as I would think Wyoming would get a check from Oregon that is a little more than they would make at home.
Bud Lee
All Pac-12

Post by Bud Lee »

Actually Autzen is only has about 20K more capacity so maybe its about the same.

Anyone know how much the Ducks are getting for this game?
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

I think I remember something from the AD about wanting to get regional games on the schedule and helping out smaller conferences with home and home games? As I also recall, Bohl had his team ready to play and they actually outplayed marcus and the boys in the first quarter and were leading 7-0 at the end of the first quarter. My daughter was out from Oregon visiting and we were watching the game at Buffalo Wild Wings with about 100 rowdy cowboy fans. When the first quarter ended there were several boisterous fans at the table right next to ours. I leaned over and asked the loudest one "do you hear that?" He said what? The avalanche that's coming, I said. I think the score ended up 48-14, but Bohl is an excellent coach can come up with good game plans. Unfortunately his team just didn't have the studs to stay with MM and that team.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine