The power man running scheme

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

GrantDuck
Senior

The power man running scheme

Post by GrantDuck »

I know several have complained about the 2 yards and a cloud of dust that happens from time to time with it, but we lead the nation in rushing TD's. I think we're really seeing the benefits of it(as well as simply having Royce) in the red zone, whereas last year, and even under Chip, we often struggled in those situations.

Obviously it's hurt us a bit as far as consistency running the ball vs the Greatwood system, but inside the 10 it's been great so far.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Re: The power man running scheme

Post by pezsez1 »

I'm not enough of an Xs and Os guy to speak on the overall effectiveness of our running game. I do think, though, that so far we've been too predictable on first down, especially in the second half.

This is still a new system though, so I'm willing to give WT the benefit of the doubt. Also, we haven't yet seen the playcalling and execution in a genuinely close second half. And at times in the first halves when the Ducks have faced some heat, the offense has responded very well -- so there's that.

Definitely not a fan of predictable dives up the gut (when we're not inside the 10-yard line), but I'm willing to wait and see where this leads.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

I'm happy with how much they're rushing, but I think they badly need to stretch the field horizontally more in the running game. Since that's not a strength of Royce's and they've been handing him the ball 30+ times a game, it's a lot easier for the opponent to stack the box.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

Great thread idea.

I have a lot of opinions on the blocking scheme but want to research a bit more before I spout off. I like to statistically verify or debunk my first impressions.

A couple of things I will throw out that affect the huge number of red zone rushing touchdowns we are seeing.

- Oregon in the spread era has always been around a 50% rush/ pass TD ratio. This year only 5 of 23 of our TDs are through the air. (Calling Darren Carrington, Pharaoh Brown, ...)

- Oregon has always scored a significant percentage ( a third or more) of their touchdowns from outside the red zone on explosion runs and passes. This year 21 of 23 touchdowns have been Red Zone scores, an almost complete absence of take it to house scores.

The combined lack of passing and big play scores presents a huge number of opportunities for Red Zone rushing TDs and they have done an excellent job of converting them. But I suspect now that there are three games of film on the Oregon offense, teams will force them to diversify to continue their high red zone scoring efficiency.
Groundswell
Four Star Recruit

Post by Groundswell »

GrandpaDuck wrote:Great thread idea.

I have a lot of opinions on the blocking scheme but want to research a bit more before I spout off. I like to statistically verify or debunk my first impressions.

A couple of things I will throw out that affect the huge number of red zone rushing touchdowns we are seeing.

- Oregon in the spread era has always been around a 50% rush/ pass TD ratio. This year only 5 of 23 of our TDs are through the air. (Calling Darren Carrington, Pharaoh Brown, ...)

- Oregon has always scored a significant percentage ( a third or more) of their touchdowns from outside the red zone on explosion runs and passes. This year 21 of 23 touchdowns have been Red Zone scores, an almost complete absence of take it to house scores.

The combined lack of passing and big play scores presents a huge number of opportunities for Red Zone rushing TDs and they have done an excellent job of converting them. But I suspect now that there are three games of film on the Oregon offense, teams will force them to diversify to continue their high red zone scoring efficiency.
Thank you for this. I might have to steal it. Really helps to demonstrate why some fans are thinking our running game isn't working as well. It is working. It's just working differently. The only question I have is will we be able to be just as effective once we start playing better teams. I don't know the answer to that.
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

We haven't thrown because we haven't had to.
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

GrandpaDuck wrote:Great thread idea.

We struggled to run it in from the 2 against UC Davis last year...

Statistically of course, your points are all valid. :mrgreen:

It's kind of odd we have so many big plays but that aren't going for TD's at this time.
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

Yeah, I'm starting to notice the lack of explosion TD plays this year. Different team I guess.
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

karlhungis wrote:Yeah, I'm starting to notice the lack of explosion TD plays this year. Different team I guess.
Some of that has to do with personnel too. Besides Charles Nelson I'm not sure our other WRs can really take the top off a defense. Glad to see Taj is back.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

karlhungis wrote:Yeah, I'm starting to notice the lack of explosion TD plays this year. Different team I guess.
Different than USF's Gulf Coast offense too. In it's 2 years they were even more dependent on explosion TDs than old Oregon and their Red Zone TD% wasn't as good as what Oregon is doing this year. According to cfbstats an incredible 52% of their TDs last year came from outside the redzone.

This offense is a first for Coach Taggart. A spread offense with a Pass First QB. In his career his only experience coaching the spread has been 2 years with a running QB who led his team in rushing and was a large component of the outside the tackle running game. There will be a lot of learning going on (hopefully).

Sorry Grantduck for diverting the thread off gap blocking as that is a subject of great interest to me as well.
GoDucksIn09
Senior

Post by GoDucksIn09 »

I guess I have not really noticed that we are not getting the explosion plays that we have in years past. The lack of substantial threat or go to guy that can hurt ya deep is probably a big contributor to that. Lack of execution in the second half will be a real concern going forward. Oregon will not have the luxury of large leads every game. It is a serious concern. In regards to the running game we need to spread out the carries more. Freeman is a beast but we need to protect him and limit his carries. I am afraid we are going to need him down the road and will not have him because ran him to much and teams will make Oregon beat you with the pass. In a close game this could be our Achilles heal. 3 games in and we have not had a receiver step up in a tough situation yet.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Phenom wrote:
Some of that has to do with personnel too. Besides Charles Nelson I'm not sure our other WRs can really take the top off a defense. Glad to see Taj is back.
It was that way last year also. Without Carrington we don't have anyone to go take the top off, all our WR are possession WR, and Royce isn't a guy that will go 50+ yds for a TD very often. And for some reason TBJ has regressed at hitting the hole.
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

Power man...

OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
dphi
Two Star Recruit

Post by dphi »

GoDucksIn09 wrote: Lack of execution in the second half will be a real concern going forward. Oregon will not have the luxury of large leads every game. It is a serious concern.
I look forward to seeing the Ducks against a better offensive team to see how they handle a closer second half. It could very well be complacency and comfort with a lead that's to blame, in which case a more even match up should provide some answers.
Duckenstein
Freshman

Post by Duckenstein »

GrantDuck wrote:I know several have complained about the 2 yards and a cloud of dust that happens from time to time with it, but we lead the nation in rushing TD's. I think we're really seeing the benefits of it(as well as simply having Royce) in the red zone, whereas last year, and even under Chip, we often struggled in those situations.

Obviously it's hurt us a bit as far as consistency running the ball vs the Greatwood system, but inside the 10 it's been great so far.
I see an offense trying to assert it's run game, and largely succeeding.

Look at the fellas Cristobal is recruiting on the OL. He wants big powerful guys up front to push the LOS

I loved chips offenses, but they relied on screen passes to set up the izr. This offense just pounds it