Play calling sucked.

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

GrantDuck
Senior

Re: Play calling sucked.

Post by GrantDuck »

Taggart is so fking stubborn on 3rd and 4th and short.
ducks5ever
Four Star Recruit

Post by ducks5ever »

In his defense he doesn't have much of a playbook when his qb can't really throw the ball....
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Duck07 wrote:I don't know if keeping one of those QB's would have made much difference. Maybe Jonsen, but in hindsight it could also have affected our ability to get other guys in the future such as Shough.
Yeah, Wilson is at about 55% completion rate with 15tds and 8 int vs JC kids, which really isn't a step up from quality HS like Texas, Cali or FL.
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

We couldn't run something like this with Nelson?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1isURDjHq0
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

GrantDuck wrote:We couldn't run something like this with Nelson?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1isURDjHq0
We could but it would get called back for holding or an illegal block.
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
justducky0
Senior

Post by justducky0 »

Also if you saw Nelson on Saturday he is nowhere near 100% on that ankle.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Even with Nelson, I'd say our WR are 11 or 12 in the confrence and without him we are last. WT was left Carrington, who's a nfl talent, and really nothing else at WR. At TE I'd say we are also 10-12 of the teams in the conference. That's the facts right now, good news is we have 4-5 really good WR coming in next year, and 2 really good TE coming in to help with depth.
dphi
Two Star Recruit

Post by dphi »

Was really hoping Ofodile would break out, good size, 4* top 20 WR, just hasn't made an impact (injuries haven't helped of course)
jimmy12
Senior

Post by jimmy12 »

Our run game is also missing a TE that likes to block.
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

jimmy12 wrote:Our run game is also missing a TE that likes to block.
Outside of that, a complete lack of WR's and a QB that isn't ready to complete a forward pass and struggles to read a defense though.... we really have no excuses for this lackluster play calling.
OregonFan4life -
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

There's a lot of excuses, but the bottom line is that SO FAR WT hasn't IMHO demonstrated much imagination or a grasp of situations in his play calling...
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

I do think at times the playcalling has been too conservative, but even the greatest trick plays won't work if the players do not perform, and as the season has continued, I'm seeing that more and more. I truly believe the last coaching staff screwed up these players so badly and Willie may need longer than we thought to bring in his Freshman and have them learn how to play his way. A good example of players not executing was Crosby on a 4th quarter 3rd down reverse to Mitchell yesterday. Great playcall and was set up very well. As Mitchell starts running, the cameras move with him and suddenly I see Crosby going out for a nice slow jog. Mitchell comes behind him and starts pushing his back and Crosby gave the most piss poor effort towards a block I've seen in a while. If Crosby hustles and makes one block, Mitchell gets the first down and more. Of course the announcers claim that UCLA sniffed that play, and to most average fans that may have seemed the case as UCLA did stop it well, but if you go back and watch that play again and watch Crosby, you will see that he was the reason the play didn't work even though it was a very good playcall at that moment.

In addition, you can't blame Willie for having an QB that thinks either throwing the deep sideline pass or running will work every time even though they haven't worked at all. I don't have any ill will towards Braxton and I know he's a young kid, but I truly believe he will never be a legit starting P5 conference and the more I see him play the more confident I am in that assessment. He just does not learn and simply doesn't understand how football works at this level.

While I've been critical of Willie and the playcalling at times and do believe he's been conservative, there is no playcalling that will work with the personnel on offense. If you want someone to blame, blame Herbert for not being careful when he got hit hard, which of course I'm sure has been a huge learning experience for him. Even the greatest driver ever couldn't drive a broken car, and right now Willie has a broken roster on offense despite there being some talent.
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

OregonFan4Life wrote:I truly believe he will never be a legit starting P5 conference and the more I see him play the more confident I am in that assessment. He just does not learn and simply doesn't understand how football works at this level.
I understand that feeling. At the same time, I worry that the coaches have been unable to coach him up at all so far. I don't know if it is a Burmeister issue, a coaching issue or both. It feels like we haven't seen any QB development in this program for years now.
OregonFan4life -
dphi
Two Star Recruit

Post by dphi »

My question now is whether Burmeister is broken now or if he still has potential to turn things around in a year or two. His confidence has to have taken a hit after the starts he's had. Would it be better to start Allie (assuming Herbert's not back this weekend) and spare Burmeister further damage to his psyche, while possibly giving us a better chance at a bowl? Or continue to get him in-game experience? If he'd shown more game to game improvement, I'd be for the latter no question - not so sure now.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

karlhungis wrote:
OregonFan4Life wrote:I truly believe he will never be a legit starting P5 conference and the more I see him play the more confident I am in that assessment. He just does not learn and simply doesn't understand how football works at this level.
I understand that feeling. At the same time, I worry that the coaches have been unable to coach him up at all so far. I don't know if it is a Burmeister issue, a coaching issue or both. It feels like we haven't seen any QB development in this program for years now.
He shouldn't need a coach to tell him "Hey that deep sideline pass isn't the best idea", he should know after seeing it fail to work over and over and over again that it isn't a good idea. At least Alie seemed to get better as the game went on against Cal, can't say the same about Braxton. Heck you could argue the opposite actually. But I don't see any aspect of Braxton that is coachable when he continues to make such awful decisions.